Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nature at its best

Sylvie
December 30th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Hi everyone

Hope you all had a great Christmas

I live in the Country and was awoken this morning the yelping and howling of coyotes. Unfortunately it was pitch black outside, so I did not see anything just heard them.

Then when I was having breakfast there was a couple of beautiful Blue Jays in the back yard, also 2 bright red Cardinals, first in the trees and then on the ground. They stayed around for quite a while. The the final thing was a large hawk flew out of the tree at the back and circled the field. It was like watching a nature program.

Made me realize how much wild life is out there, if we only pay attention. There is also a fox den nearby and we have seen the kits in our driveway at night. Makes me realize how lucky I am to be in the country.

Happy New Year everyone.

Sylvie:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
December 30th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Happy New Year, Sylvie!

We were just out a while ago and it was dead silent. Not even a breeze. That's a sort of nice sound, too... :cloud9:

Some nights we can hear coyotes and wolves (the coyotes usually get very vocal when the wolves are on this end of their ranges...not sure if they're warning other coyotes or telling the wolves to bug off! :D) I think the howling is right up there with the call of the loon...both set you to tingling! And right behind them are the owls--we have barred owls singing duets some nights, and the great horned owls ask a lot of questions, too. :D

JanM
December 30th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Nature at it's best - it can't be beat! Hearing and seeing these beautiful animals and birds is so rewarding.

If only more people could love and respect these creatures for what they are...

Frenchy
December 30th, 2007, 08:58 PM
It "sounds" pretty cool where you live Sylvie :thumbs up

StumpsMom
December 30th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Happy New Year! And thanks for the reminder to slow down and pay attention:D

TeriM
December 31st, 2007, 12:20 AM
I also love the sounds of the country :lovestruck:. I am in the city but live quite close to the local mountains with a ton of green space around. I must admit that when I not a big fan of the coyotes around here as they have become very "city smart" and are quite brutal with local pets :sad:.

Sylvie
December 31st, 2007, 06:26 AM
I hear you about the coyotes being a problem. It is the same here. However, last year something happened to the coyotes, and there numbers were quite low.

This resulted in a high number of raccoons, groundhogs, etc. They destroyed a lot of my flowers and dug large holes all over my garden.
Even, went as far as chewing through the walls of our shed in order to get in from the cold.

They dug under my next door neighbours shed and came up through the floor. Luckily, our floor is cement. Found lots of corn cobs at the entrance to the holes. Many, Many holes throughout our yard.

So far this year no sign of the little varmints.

As far as them attacking the dogs, unfortunately, this is true here also. Our furkids do not run free, so we do not have any trouble. I keep a pretty close eye on them.

Sylvie