Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vets remove 11 pounds of matted hair

CearaQC
December 29th, 2007, 11:11 PM
This dog probably thought a miracle occured! :laughing::laughing: Going to sleep mega hairy and waking up feeling a breeze.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=504892&in_page_id=1770

Okay, so the coat's not all it might be. And the physique is definitely not going to win any prizes in the Afghan hound Hunk of the Year awards.

But does this scrawny, raggedy canine called Aflie care? Not a bit.

This is the first time he has been able to move easily for years after four vets spent three hours shaving and cutting away more than 11lb of filthy, matted hair while he was under a general anesthetic.

Afghans are known for their beautiful long hair. But Alfie's coat had been neglected for so long that when he was found abandoned in Bradford he was barely able to walk.

RSPCA inspector Rachel Oprysk could not believe the level of neglect he had suffered. She said: "I was horrified at what state he came to us in.

"He was struggling to walk and cock his leg, because of the weight of his coat.

"He's probably not been groomed for months - if not years. The extent of the matting is the worst I have ever seen in a dog.

"Dogs like Alfie, with long hair, need a lot of attention to keep their coats healthy. It can be quite high-maintenance.

"The weight of the matting must have been painful - it would have been like having his hair constantly pulled.

"His skin had been infected from the constant drag and the dirt."

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/12_04/AlfieRP_468x245.jpg

14+kitties
December 29th, 2007, 11:18 PM
That poor baby. :sad: But how fortunate he was found in time to save him from a most certain horrible end. Now to find the owners. :evil:

pbpatti
December 29th, 2007, 11:21 PM
body posture going in and the exuberance :dog:after the terrible coat is taken away. the poor baby so tied up with matts, pulling skin..ouch. he looks ok now though, just need to find a home for him that will look after his needs.:pray:

Shaykeija
December 29th, 2007, 11:49 PM
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff95/Xparanoid_girlX/dumb.jpg

Stoopid owners....one happy and free dog.....

hazelrunpack
December 29th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I think you hit that right on the head, Shaykeija! :mad:

Poor Alfie! If the owners didn't want to groom him, the least they could do was have him trimmed short a few times a year! Probably would have cost them less than $100 total! :frustrated: I hope they find whoever abandoned him.

Look at that boy rejoice! :cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper
December 30th, 2007, 12:15 AM
:cry: It's heartbreaking how uncaring people can be :sad:

Alfie's gonna love having baths & getting brushed now.

SARAH
December 30th, 2007, 08:32 AM
When you know how beautiful an Afghan coat is, it's nothing short of criminal to let it get that way.

Letting the dog SUFFER in the process ... who said lynching should be illegal?

Or at least ... what were they called ... you know, those wodden "walls" with holes for the hear and hands on either side, and the criminal was stuck there to be laughed at, thrown rotten eggs at or even kicked in the butt. That would be a nice punishment for animal abusers :evil: :laughing: :evil:

chico2
December 30th, 2007, 08:44 AM
OMG,Afghans are such beautiful dogs,I hope he'll find a good caring home,who own a dog-brush and are willing to use it:pray:

badger
December 30th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I can hardly look at that first picture. I'd like to wing a few turds at whoever treated him so cruelly.

SARAH
December 30th, 2007, 09:58 AM
YES !! Except this one is too high, the culprit should have to bend over at the hips so his/her butt stick way out there for people to really hit with their boots (or a baseball bat would do the trick, with a few nails in it :evil: )

Frenchy
December 30th, 2007, 10:45 AM
omg that poor dog :sad: 3 years in this condition ? :mad:

I love the second picture , he looks soooo happy ! He must feel so much better now. :cloud9: