Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introduction and Question

chibimie
December 29th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Presently we have a five-year old dog, Chibi, rescued from a shelter about five years ago. She was a 'mess' when we adopted her--fearful of everything that moved, untrusting, etc. Chibi is much better these days, though still on the timid side. My wife and I are both are committed to help alleviate animal suffering on this planet.

I am writing also to ask a question. A close friend of ours in Japan adopted a dog (a Cavalier spaniel) who has been house trained, but recently this dog has begun to occasionally pee on their bed in her absence. Can anyone suggest ways of discouraging this behavior?

Thank you,

Chibimie

Rottielover
December 29th, 2007, 07:23 PM
she may have a UTI, i would bring her in , or a sample in. Simple meds can cure it

luckypenny
December 29th, 2007, 07:55 PM
she may have a UTI, i would bring her in , or a sample in. Simple meds can cure it

Absolutely! However, if all turns out normal, it may also be behavior related. I say this because of all the places to pee? on it's owners' bed? and while they are out?

We had a foster who peed on our couch and I once caught her squatting on my bed :eek: soon after she joined our family. We denied her access to the bed (by shutting the door) and couches (laying a sheet of aluminum foil right across it). NILIF is another practice that helps to ensure good behavior http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm .

The dog is going to go through an adjustment period that can last up to several months. Encourage your friends to have it seen by a vet, and to be patient yet consistent.

Oh, and welcome to forum :) . You'll find you and your wife will fit right in here ;) .

chibimie
December 31st, 2007, 12:31 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. The link to NILIF was especially interesting. :)