Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kitten issues!! To worm or not to worm

beckiandthetrio
December 29th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Hi all--

My sister just got a stray kitten about 3 days ago from someone that found them. He is very tiny maybe a 1-2lbs and constantly wants to be held...kinda like a new baby..hehe. Anyhow, should she treat him for worms? Is it too soon and should it be done more than once spaced apart? Also whats the best kitty brand of food?? Thanks everyone.

Winston
December 29th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I think you may also want to have a quick check up at the vet..If he was a stray and that timy he may be ill..Kittens get sick quickly...I agree wormig would be good but I am not sure you should do it when they are that small?? Someone else with kitten experience should be along soon! I would worry about any resperatory infection he may carry or even fleas??

Cindy

SARAH
December 29th, 2007, 10:17 AM
My little kitten is roughly 2 months old, maybe 9 weeks. He was weighed at the vet's two days ago: 1.26 lbs!! Yet he was dewormed 4 weeks ago at the SPCA and again yesterday with a second dose to be given 10 days later. He's also had his first shots and his booster shots (rabies in a month).

I'd say you can safely deworm your kitten, but I'd check with a vet as to how much and which medication to use.

Food wise, Spoutnik was on dry from the SPCA (ridiculous for such a tiny tot :mad: !) but is now eating canned in the morning and raw whenever there is some ... actually, I've frozen portion-sizes for him and Misti out of the extra lean beef we'd bought for our shepherd's pie :D

He gets milk, but prefers water form the dog's bowls. As soon as he gets a little older I'll also give him raw egg yolk, his little tummy is not strong enough yet IMO, egg is heavy to digest.

14+kitties
December 29th, 2007, 10:21 AM
My suggestion is to take the kitty to the vet for an examination. You will be able to get a better feel about how old the kitten is, if it has worms (which is probable seeing as it's a stray), and if there are any other problems.
Worm meds you buy over the counter generally don't work. There is not enough meds in them to do the job. You also need to know if there is worms what type they are. Different meds treat different worms. No over the counter ones (at least around here) treat tapeworms, which are the ones most strays are at risk of getting because of their diet.
For what to feed........ there are a lot of different diets. I go with canned fed in the morning and night (but I have quite a few kitties) and dry available at all times. Check labels for meat content. You want a high one. A food starting with rice or sugar is just no good. There is also the raw diet which you can read about on this site. It is totally personal preference and what you can afford to feed the new arrival.
Oh, and as soon as you can......ask your sister for pics please. ;)

sugarcatmom
December 29th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Wellness makes a good canned kitten food (in the little pink tin). But really, any of the decent canned foods for adults is fine (Innova, Eagle Pack, Avoderm, By Nature Organics, Nature's Variety, etc). Kittens just need to eat lots of small meals per day.

ancientgirl
December 29th, 2007, 12:59 PM
First thing you should do is take kitty to the vet. There they can give him a thorough examination. If he has worms, they would probably treat him there. They can also help determine better how old he is.

I hope he's healthy and has no issues. Poor little guy wandering the streets.