Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Cat beating Up Old One!

penny mills
December 28th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Hi we have had our new cat for about 4 weeks. When we got him he was 8 months old and we had him neutered right away. We already had a 17 yr old spayed female. We did the gradual introduction and all was ok for the first few days. But now the new cat is stalking and attacking our old cat. We keep them in seperate rooms when we are out and at night.
We have started to spray him with a vinegar water bottle when the fight starts.
Does anyone have any advice?

growler~GateKeeper
December 29th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I would re-start the initial introductions again. Try the whole thing over again with a wee bit of baby powder on your hands & pet each of the cats so they "smell the same" to each other.

Have either of them been to the vet recently (after the neuter) that would cause a different smell?

Have they both, but especially the older kitty, been checked by a vet to make sure there is no underlying medical issues? If she hasn't recently, as in the last 6 months, you should schedule a full geriatric blood panel with urinaylsis to check for all potential issues especially liver & kidney functions.

Does everyone spend equal amounts of quality time with both cats, not just the new one?

Some members have also found success with Feliway (http://www.feliway.uk.com/feliway_uk.nsf/Page?OpenForm) and Rescue Remedy (http://www.rescueremedy.co.uk/about_whatisrescue.htm) as calming agents.

I would try the re-intro first, a vet check up for both, then look into either product.

welcome to pets.ca we would love to see pics of your 2 cats :D

rainbow
December 29th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Growler gave you alot of great suggestions but I have a feeling that there is just too much of an age difference between them. I really don't think they will ever be good buddies. Your older cat is probably quite content to just be by herself. Is there any way you can adopt a new playmate for the younger one?

Kristin7
December 29th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Yeah, the younger one probably just wants to play. That's what happened when I brought a new cat home a few years ago. She was young and playful and my older cat wanted none of it. They still don't really get along very well unfortunately. I honestly think my younger cat's feelings are hurt that the other one won't play with her. They both have gotten along well with other cats, so I think they are just not compatible with each other. The Feliway and such may work but they didn't help much in my house. Eventually your cats will likely come to tolerate each other but will probably not be friends. It may help if you play with the younger cat - do you have some cat toys? A laser light is fun, or one of those fishing type toys, with feather tied to the end of the rope.

Love4himies
December 29th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Young males are very sociable and love to play and are full of energy. Are you sure the male is fighting or trying to play with your senior? Would you consider getting another young, neutered male for a companion to your other male to play with? If the two males are playing with each other and not paying any attention to her, she may be able to be free in the house.