Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

8 yr. old Lab stiff after sitting for long periods (such as napping)

jenebeka
December 28th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Hi! My 8 year old Chocolate Labrador (Hershey) gets stiff in one of her back legs or hips after she has been curled up for a long period of time (during a nap, etc.). Hershey is able to stretch her leg out when she stands up and only limps for a couple of steps. Hershey doesn't seem to be in pain...just stiff. After stretching, she is fine. Hershey can still jump, twist, turn, run, etc. and basically act like she is a puppy any other time. As I said, she only limps for a couple of steps until she can stretch herself out. And, the problem seems to be worse when she is curled up rather than stretched out when sitting.

This stiffness has not come on all of the sudden. It has become worse as Hershey has become older. Any ideas? Is this the onset of arthritis? Is there anything I can do for Hershey to help the stiffness? Are there any medications that can help?

Hershey has her semi-annual appt. with the vet in a couple of weeks. I will be talking to the vet then of course. However, I wanted to be a little more educated before the visit.

I would appreciate any replies. Thanks!

Jenny

hazelrunpack
December 28th, 2007, 11:13 PM
It does sound like the onset of arthritis, but I'm glad Hershey is going in to the vet soon.

If it is arthritis and she's only stiff upon getting up, she likely doesn't need any meds. You might want to talk to the vet about getting a dog-appropriate pain reliever for times when Hershey might overdo.

Glucosamine/chondroitin supplements would be a good idea. They really can work wonders--we've had dogs get noticeably more limber after starting them on the supplements. Do your homework and get the best quality glucosamine/chondroitin product you can afford--we've found that the ones made to pharmaceutical standards, while more expensive, work much better than some of the lower quality ones. :thumbs up

Also, keep a very close eye on Hershey's weight. Being on light side of normal weight will take some of the strain off of her joints.

With luck, Hershey will stay limber and happy for many years to come! :thumbs up

rainbow
December 29th, 2007, 02:55 AM
It sounds like arthritis to me as well. I would put her on the glucosamine/chondroitin supplements as well. You can also get them with MSM added which is an anti-inflammatory. You can use the human brands instead of purchasing them from the vet as the human ones will cost less.

Keep us posted after the vet visit. :goodvibes:

Frenchy
December 29th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Same advice here , gluco/chondro . One of my goldens (Bailey) started to have trouble 3 winters ago , started to give him the supplement and I saw improvement after a couple weeks :thumbs up

SARAH
December 29th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Here's me with the alternative medicine again :sorry: :D try magnets! Fairly strong ones. I've seen at one pet store, bandanas with magnets in them! Not sure if they are strong enough, you might want to open it and add some better magnets, but the idea is really good! If and when my dogs/cats ever need it, I'll make them a magnet-bandana :thumbs up (OK, I do know it works on humans, so it makes sense to use this on dogs too).

Toonces
December 29th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Our girl has osteo arthritis and hip displasia, we give her novo flex and medicam for the pain when she needs it it has done wonders for her, she also eats food with gluco/chondro added to it, you will get some good advise here on this forum and all the best wishes for you and Hershey:D