Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dachshund with belly rash - vet says contact derm.???

francesg06
December 28th, 2007, 08:01 PM
My 8 year old doxie has a dark purple flat rash-like on her belly and under legs. Vet said as far as he can tell at this point, it's a contact dermatitis. However, nothing in our house has changed -- no plants or decorations for Christmas, no change in foods, laundry detergents, bedding, floor care products. She'll tremble, on and off. No fever. Eating and drinking OK. We have a fairly new puppy who has lots a energy and like to play and makes lots of noice. Do you think it could be stress related? This is so unlike my doxie. Thanks for sharing any experiences you might have had like this.

SnowDancer
December 28th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I would say this is NOT stress related - we have had 5 mini Dachshunds so am basing my opinion on my experience. I would go with your vet's diagnosis.

francesg06
December 29th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Thank you, Snow Dancer, for your reply. My dog has now started panting/contracted breathing (not very stressful, but of concern) and is not eating. I interpret that as pain, or expressing pain.

I have another call into the vet and will take her back up this AM. It crossed my mind that maybe it's a bad tooth. It came on so sudden and I am so perplexed....any feedback of your experiences with mini dachshunds is appreciated.

SnowDancer
December 29th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Could well be a tooth problem - mini Dachshunds have notoriously bad teeth. My one exception was one guy who had perfect teeth at age 5 physical - much to vet's delight - but at 6 physical, teeth needed major work - had it done - and then 2 weeks later he was in for full back and neck surgery - made the tooth problem seem minor. I have had Dachshunds who developed infected teeth almost overnight - without the normal bad breath - and complete with the abyss - swollen right under the eye. This of course can lead to heart problems - which may mini Doxies have - not to mention other problems. I would definitely get her to the vet - and also how is your pup's back? Any signs whatsover of not wanting to do something that she normally does - or asking for help doing so - and I don't mean age related things of course. Something really simple that would concern you. I don't know how much you know about Dachshund disc disease, but 2 of ours - of course my soulmate dogs had it big time. The first had Stage I - full back and neck and was a pioneer for the surgery in Canada. The second - several years later, had Stage II - the nuclear fluid leaking on to spinal cord and causing spinal cord death in various places. When he had his back surgery this was not known - but he paralyzed in 15 minutes - there was not "event" and surgery had to be done that same night - there was no limping, dragging of bum etc. - so just wanted to rule this out for you. Please report back after you see the vet and I really do think your pup has a skin problem. If your girl is bossy, the stress of a new puppy sure wouldn't bother her - my other guys marched to the "big" guys tune!

francesg06
December 29th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Snow Dancer,
I really appreciate your info and sharing, somehow it makes all "this" easier.

I took her to vet and from there to the emergency clinic due to increased respiratory distress, nasal discharge and the worse problem, "areas" on her lungs that are not supposed to be there -- doesn't look like cancer, or pneumonia -- vet thought, along with the belly-purpling flat rash that it might be some type of poisoning, but her feet hardly touch the ground! She's from the couch to the bed and never out of sight, so that's slim.

Long list of tests are being conducted, will know more in a few hours, and what the best course would be. Say a prayer.

Her name is Ginger. At the time I met her, she was the pet of a patient I cared for. (RN, home visit nurse) When he died, he wanted me to have her. He was a very, very kind gentleman. She was 4 then, and that was 6 years ago, so I consider her young.

Regardless, I'll do what is best for her. Thanks again for being a fellow dauchshund lover. Your stories are incredible...bet you got a few grey hairs with all that.

Later.

francesg06
December 29th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Snow Dancer,

Just wanted to add that her back and spine seem 100 percent fine. Vet did a thorough exam and she's show no problems. We have little risers all over the place to keep her from jumping, which seem helpful to her most of the time. What was so shocking about this situation is it came on all of a sudden. From a happy, energetic dog to fussiness to lethargy and the rest. It was very hard to leave her today.:pawprint:

kiara
December 29th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Dermatitis is often related to stress. Contact dermatitis means that your dog is allergic to something new that it is in contact with. Maybe something on your puppy's fur is irritating your dachsund, give the new puppy a bath and see what happens. Also your dachsund may have tired some of the puppy food and some of the ingredients in it are irritaing. Otherwise you need to take it to a vet dermatologist and have it tested for allergies. It could be caused by a variety of things. Let us know what happened.

SnowDancer
December 29th, 2007, 07:40 PM
francesgo6 - Please let us know how Ginger makes out. Sure hope it isn't cancer - could well be poisoning. I know what you mean about a Dachshunds main activities - particularly eating and going to bed - but they have a tendency to get where they should be. Even after full body surgery, my 10 lb. guy could still haul himself up onto a chair, then to the counter, to search for something to eat - from there an easy reach to the cupboard. There are so many things outside as well. Or, perhaps, it is something that has just happened. My first guy went blind and lost full control of his bodily functions over night - yet his back held - good thing after he suffered through that surgery at 2 1/2. I envy you the number of years that your pup has had and hope that there are many more to come. Really glad to hear that Ginger's back is okay - it is just such an awful disease.

francesg06
December 30th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Ginger is home. None of the vets (regular or emegency) can figure out what caused all the problems. Blood tests etc. all normal. Gave oral Lasix to relieve the congestion in the lungs. At this moment she's snuggled up in a comforter on the couch resting like a good little patient. Breathing is normal, the purple rash is diminishing, looks a LOT better. Will be following up with my regular vet on Monday.

Thank you Snow Dancer and Kiara for your concern and help. Isn't it interesting how complete strangers (who I don't think of as stranger any more) can be such a wonderful source of comfort. I think that's one of the reasons God places us on earth. A special salute to my Canadian friends!

Thank you to all the veterinarians, too, who may happen to read these postings. You all are blessings and thank you for hanging in with all the education, expense and frustrations -- you are greatly appreciated.

Will keep you all posted.

Can't help "my own self" from saying "you all", it's being a Kentuckian. :dog:

SnowDancer
December 30th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I am happy to hear that Ginger is home - and getting lots of tender loving care - Dachshunds need that! Hopefully whatever caused her health problems is clearing up, but I would keep as close an eye an her as she will on you just to be sure. Hopefully you will be able to post a "healthy" report. Teeth definitely at Ginger's age though can be a problem.

francesg06
December 31st, 2007, 07:42 PM
Ginger is much better today but I still don't know the cause of all the symptoms. Will discuss further with my vet, but she will probably benefit from seeing a cardiologist. Personally, I think she might have congestive heart failure. All the S&S I've seen in people. But we'll see.

Now she is resting and breathing without difficulty (thanks to Lasix), eating, bathrooming, and is very perky when the treats are being passed out! That strange purple rash is fading a lot.

I'm exhausted and will celebrate the New Year by saying Good Night well before 2008 slips in. Happy New Year :grouphug: :party:

SnowDancer
January 1st, 2008, 11:50 AM
Did your vet take an EKG or some form of X-Ray to get an idea if Ginger is suffering from heart problems? I know Dachshunds can, but it would be nice to have some idea before you have to see a cardiologist. My last darling had an EKG just before his dental surgery and it showed an enlargement on one side of his heart, so they delayed the procedure until they spoke with a cardio consult, who gave them the go-ahead - but to just be quick about it. This was the dapple who had had perfect teeth until age 5 and then at age 6 needed a major cleaning - fortunately nothing more than that. Actually the pre-blood work showed increased levels of calcium, so surgery was first delayed because of that - fortunately a false positive. But it all became academic when he paralyzed a week after the dental surgery and we had to race to Guelph for midnight surgery. The neuro was aware of the enlarged heart, but in the circumstances our guy had no chance without the surgery so was worth the risk. Hopefully if Ginger does have heart problems they can be managed with pills at a reasonable price. A lady who used to post on here went through that with her Poodle, who lived many years on her meds. Please let us know what happens.

francesg06
January 1st, 2008, 09:25 PM
An EKG is a great suggestion. We'll see our regular vet in the next few days for a follow up. On her original xrays, her lungs shows some fluids, the vet said her heart looked a little enlarged. That's as far as we got at that point. I'm sure if that's so, it can be treated with medicine. The vet did assure me she didn't have a murmur.

She's sleeping on my lap now, resting her head on my arm, which makes it difficult to type, but that's OK. She's so perky, coat is shining again, but I'm very cautious with that view. :pray: In the meantime, take care and give your "kids" a hug for me and Ginger.

SnowDancer
January 2nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Ginger needs to slightly change her sleeping position while you are at the computer - not to your advantage though - she needs to rest her head on your hand so that with each keystroke she gets a head rub. My Jack loved this - and since I type 120 words a minute he was very happy. He also added the odd keystroke - he was a pretty good typist. Didn't have the computer when Duke was alive - no doubt I could have just dictated to him. I hope that Ginger's problem is "just" an enlarged heart - that can usually be treated and since Dachshunds do love to cuddle and keep warm, hopefully she won't be too energetic. My loved to wrap themselves in the duvet even in mid summer. One day I couldn't find Duke and was having a fit because they never went out except on leash. Finally after tearing the house apart I noticed that my husband's neck pillow was quivering and sure enough there was Duke who had ensconced himself in the hollow on the underside and was laughing at me - little devil. Fortunately I can now remember the good times, but it sure was hard with both of them.

francesg06
January 3rd, 2008, 08:02 PM
Hi Snow Dancer!

Ginger's report is great, she's "normal". My vet decided against the expense of another xray or EKG because she's doing so well (and my fortune has been spent)! Clear lungs, strong steady heartrate, belly rash next to gone It's a matter of watching her closely, just in case any symptoms reappear. He feels, because of the acute nature of the symptoms, Ginger more than likely crossed paths with a spider or bug, but that's just an educated guess. I know she won't back off a bad tasting toad in the summertime.

I laughed at your story of a missing Duke who was hiding under the neck pillow laughing. Many, many times Ginger has done the same. Just this morning I couldn't find her, and I knew she didn't sneak out into the cold, dark morning...found her (after looking twice and getting a bit frantic) so far under the comforter that you couldn't see her...she was laughing and I saw the movement! What a joy!

120 wpm? Wow, are you a transcriptionist for court reporters? Those are the only people I know with that kind of skill and speed!

SnowDancer
January 3rd, 2008, 10:33 PM
Dachshunds won't back away from anything - thank heavens they are small enough that we can pick them up at run. I have a few stories ...! I am happy to learn that Ginger is doing so well - and I agree, the expenses can really add up. I think you will know it if Ginger starts having respiratory problems - hopefully she won't. And, no, I am not a transcriptionist - actually I took typing twice a week in the 60s - but learned on a manual and we had to type 75 wpm - didn't type again until 1984 when I rented an IBM Selectric and got a book of drills and went at it. Then I moved to a computer - I really do pound the keyboard - but just have fast fingers - useless at sports though. My husband took typing in Grade 9, quite forward thinking on the school's part considering it was a boys' Catholic School. When he was 42, I got out the drill book and now he can type probably about 70 wpm - from his head - because he remembered the keyboard keys. Good thing the powers that be didn't go to the "new" keyboard with keys in a different order. Hope Ginger is rolled up in her duvet - and doesn't come out too many time during the night gasping for air - this was always a worry.

StumpsMom
January 5th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Very glad to hear that Ginger is feeling better :)

francesg06
January 5th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Thank you StumpsMom, I am so happy to have her sweet and sassy again! What a lovable "pup" you have pictured!

francesg06
January 5th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Hi SnowDancer,
Wow, did you bring back memories with the Selectric typewriter. I still have mine! Even though I'd never give up the ease of a computer keyboard, I just can't get rid of the Selectric. Sounds like we're of the same generation, but I actually learned typing on a manual! Ding, smack!

Ginger is getting bossy again, so she is assuredly getting stronger every day. How are your "kids" doing? The rest of mine (German Shep mix, Terrier mix-mix, American Bull Dog with some other stuff) are sleeping in today, too rainy and grey to do otherwise.

I think I'll use the time to nose around the site and see if I can figure out how to get some pictures up.

Keep in touch. Bet you all have some beautiful winter weather. I really enjoy the snow, especially when paired with a bright blue sky.

SnowDancer
January 5th, 2008, 07:18 PM
If I could send you the Toronto snow and cold, trust me I would! I HATE the cold as did my Dachshunds. My Eskimo on the other hand loves to have me freeze, but pulls my husband back in the house in short order. My Eskie had his annual KC shot today so was playing the martyr - and as usual was "socialized" by a bevy of Boxers while waiting for his shots. Oh, to be so hot! My Dachshunds were quite the studs as well. Glad to hear that Ginger is becoming bossy again - how I love a bossy Dachshund.

francesg06
January 7th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Hope your Eskie is doing better and over the shot-blues-feel-sorry-for-me. They are so much like kids!

It was 60 + degrees F today. This time last year it was in the 20's. Now that's wierd. Granted, Toronto snow and cold might be the other extreme that I'd complain about...but geezzz...60s.

Couldn't figure out how to post pictures. Well, it's not that complicated but for some reason my pic didn't download and the system didn't give me any error message, so who knows. I was going to show you Spike, who all the girls got downright giddy over. His name fit his "hair." My Spike died in 2004, but he's my screensaver pic and always close to my heart.

Ginger, the spoiled rotten little thing, stood on the side of the bed this morning and jumped up toward me while waving her paws in the air, just like a little kid wanting to be picked up. Too funny. She's got me well trained.

Stay warm. I could say I'm sending you some of our Kentucky hot air but that might seems too political :laughing:since it's an presidential election year in the good old USA.

hazelrunpack
January 7th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I'm happy to hear that Ginger is on the mend and back to being bossy! :thumbs up Somehow I missed this thread for all these weeks...but this way at least I get all the good news right away! :D

So you're saying our warm weather is coming from Kentucky? :eek: Take it back, please. :D We're not ready to give up the snow yet!

francesg06
January 13th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Ginger is totally back to self! Happy days. Of course every time she sneezes, my heart skips a beat.

My nephew lives in Wisconsin, Hazelrunpack. Great snow-play weather. We still have the grey and rainy. Guess I shouldn't complain when others are suffering drought.

I see so many problems on the board with our dear critters. My heart goes out to each and every one.

Since Ginger ate up my fortune, I've taken on some extra work during the weekends, thus, I'm not "here" often. Snowdancer, keep in touch. You were a wonderful support during those trying days.

SnowDancer
January 14th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Hooray for Ginger! I met a 7 month old male mini Dachshund on the street yesterday so I got lots and lots of kisses. His parents told me he is mild mannered and not food obsessed (they leave his food out all day!!!???) but that his best friend, a year old Dachshund is a true gourmand - and super Alpha - now the best friend would be the guy for me. This little guy was very cute and snuggly though and I do need my Dachshund fixes. He has a VERY long back though...