Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Home and getting settled.

ancientgirl
December 28th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I've got my new girl home. First of all, I visited Kiska and she's doing very well. I'll be picking her up tomorrow and bringing her home.

Czarina is in the half bath. That's where I had Maks and Kiska when I first brought them home. She's huddled in the corner, but I managed to bring her out a little bit with some food. Vlad and Oksana are just sitting in front of the screen. I've heard no hissing yet, but they haven't been able to get a really good look at each other.

I figure I'll let her come out in her own time. I don't want to force her. Maks was like that the first couple of days too. He'd hide when he'd see me or the other cats.

Vlad just started meowing. I'm going to see if she lets me hold her for a bit. Maybe she needs some reassurance.

SARAH
December 28th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Well, it's a scary world. New human, new cats, new room, new house outside the room ... help! Poor little me! I'm all scared and little. Gimme a break!

14+kitties
December 28th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Give her a week or so and I bet she is zooming around with the others getting into all kinds of trouble. :lovestruck: Poor baby must be wondering what's going on right now. All these changes with the vets, overnight stay, and now your place. She will settle.

ancientgirl
December 28th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Well, it's a scary world. New human, new cats, new room, new house outside the room ... help! Poor little me! I'm all scared and little. Gimme a break!

Um...you give me a break. I realize she's going to need time. She's been a stray for a long time. I know this isn't going to happen over night. I've done this before, except this is my first stray.

I'm well aware that she's probably the one who will be the most difficult to become used to the other cats. Right now she's the one doing all the hissing and growling.

ancientgirl
December 28th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Give her a week or so and I bet she is zooming around with the others getting into all kinds of trouble. :lovestruck: Poor baby must be wondering what's going on right now. All these changes with the vets, overnight stay, and now your place. She will settle.

I wish I had a better spot for her, but right now this is it. I can't put her in my bathroom because that will confuse my resident kitties too much and I don't want to disrupt them as much as they already are.

Hopefully she will get used to at least seeing them around in the next coming days. LOL, poor little Maks. He's the one she scared the crap out of. He was close to the screen and Czarina came bolting out of her spot. But Vlad was there to reassure him.

Winston
December 28th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Ancientgirl! glad she is finally home! Dont worry about the hissing and stuff . It will all work out! Did you used some baby powder? even though they are not in direct contact it may just calm things down slightly....just a little rub down will probably do..

She will be fine where she is..its only temporary! and it most certainly beats being outside having to defend yourself! Keep your spirits up!!

Cindy
:thumbs up

ancientgirl
December 28th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I know. I keep telling myself it will take time. Especially since she's older then the others and she's been pretty much on her own for a long time.

It's been stressful, so I just need to calm down a bit. I didn't do the baby powder, but I'm going to to and get some now. I'll rub them all down.

I did sit in there with her for a little bit, and I felt so bad for her. She's so starved for just any kind of affection and touch. She started kneading my thighs, and she couldn't figure out what she wanted more, food or petting.

You are very right though, at least she's inside and its nice and cool in here. It's been muggy all day and will probably rain this evening. She's got fresh water, fresh food and a very soft little bed. Hopefully she'll think all that before was just a bad dream.

StumpsMom
December 28th, 2007, 07:29 PM
It's so nice she's home...congratulations on your new addition!

Winston
December 28th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Hey thats great..she is already showing you some affection...it will all work out! Just remember to take baby steps! thats all you can do....and always remember it is better than where she came from! that makes is all worth while..and besides she has had many changes in her life since you swooped in and picked her up! she got left at the vets?? probably wondering what the heck! and now in a brand new wonderful home with 4 cats on the other side of the threshold! if she was outside she would likely be in defense mode..so it will take time..

I look forward to hearing about her adjustment..

Cindy

ancientgirl
December 28th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Yes, but OMG!!!!!!!!

Okay, so Vlad and Maks were just sitting there. Czarina started to approach Maks and began hissing. Then Vlad started growling, then Czarina started hissing more, and Vlad growled and meowed louder and HOLY CRAP, Czarina started kind of chomping and there was foam coming out of her mouth.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Needless to say that scared the bejeezus out of me! I just called the vet and gave her the story, and they told me it's most likely just the stress of the situation.

I associate foaming at the mouth with rabies, but they assured me that she's not only had a shot, but she's likely just under a lot of stress.

I turned the light off where her little area is. Vlad is still sitting in front of he screen, but it all seems quiet now.

There is a bigger orange kitty around the apartment complex. I'm wondering if Czarina has had problems with him and thinks Maks is him.

Frenchy
December 28th, 2007, 08:59 PM
When I first got Paddington , he was kept in another room for , I think it was 1-2 days , then I would let him out 20 minutes a day , a bit more each day ... in the first week , Monsieur le chat would scream bloody murder if Paddy would get near him , :laughing: I swear , I thought they were killing eachothers , but no. No battles , just screaming match from Monsieur le chat. But that is all in the past now. :thumbs up

So , that being said , I do believe things will get better with time , at your place.

Winston
December 28th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Ancientgirl! the foaming is a defense they have and the stress but dont worry..it will be fine..at least there is something between them till they get used to one another...Just think she probably had to fight outside so she will need to learn she is safe....

Cindy

SARAH
December 28th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Um...you give me a break. I realize she's going to need time. She's been a stray for a long time. I know this isn't going to happen over night. I've done this before, except this is my first stray.

I'm well aware that she's probably the one who will be the most difficult to become used to the other cats. Right now she's the one doing all the hissing and growling.

Oops, guess you read me wrong there, I was trying to confer the views of Czarina, as in her asking you for a break to settle in and check the new surroundings out!

You certainly are doing all you can for her, and I am in no way coming down on you :pray:

Dracko
December 28th, 2007, 10:18 PM
We need to see some pics!

krdahmer
December 28th, 2007, 10:49 PM
This will definitely not be a relaxing vacation for you!!!:o But don't worry, once she sees that she is safe, and after a whole lot of hissing and growling she'll be happy to find her place there with you all. It's only the first day, so deep breaths and try not to jump and panick at every hiss (I know I know... easier said than done eh?!:rolleyes:) I managed to pet Buddy and Smoke today at the same time a mere foot away from each other... :eek:(only took 2.5 years!!!) so anything is possible!!!;)

I'm so glad Kiska is doing well with the spay, how are Maks little knickers? All better yet?

ancientgirl
December 29th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Oops, guess you read me wrong there, I was trying to confer the views of Czarina, as in her asking you for a break to settle in and check the new surroundings out!

You certainly are doing all you can for her, and I am in no way coming down on you :pray:

Sorry, I'm just a bit stressed. I read it again and figured you didn't mean it that way.

ancientgirl
December 29th, 2007, 05:45 AM
This will definitely not be a relaxing vacation for you!!!:o But don't worry, once she sees that she is safe, and after a whole lot of hissing and growling she'll be happy to find her place there with you all. It's only the first day, so deep breaths and try not to jump and panick at every hiss (I know I know... easier said than done eh?!:rolleyes:) I managed to pet Buddy and Smoke today at the same time a mere foot away from each other... :eek:(only took 2.5 years!!!) so anything is possible!!!;)

I'm so glad Kiska is doing well with the spay, how are Maks little knickers? All better yet?

Goodness, I hope it doesn't take THAT long. LOL.

I felt bad for Maks this morning though. Now Vlad is hissing at HIM and they always get along great. Poor little guy.

ancientgirl
December 29th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Ancientgirl! the foaming is a defense they have and the stress but dont worry..it will be fine..at least there is something between them till they get used to one another...Just think she probably had to fight outside so she will need to learn she is safe....

Cindy

Ah, okay I can see it being a defense. I mean, she sure scared the heck out of ME.

I'm going to go out later and get some Feliway spray. I've got a diffuser downstairs and one upstairs, but I think with the spray I can at least use it in the general area she's in so they all can be less stressed, especially her. She's been through the biggest change.

ancientgirl
December 29th, 2007, 05:50 AM
When I first got Paddington , he was kept in another room for , I think it was 1-2 days , then I would let him out 20 minutes a day , a bit more each day ... in the first week , Monsieur le chat would scream bloody murder if Paddy would get near him , :laughing: I swear , I thought they were killing eachothers , but no. No battles , just screaming match from Monsieur le chat. But that is all in the past now. :thumbs up

So , that being said , I do believe things will get better with time , at your place.

This is what I don't like about my apartment. There really is no room I can put her in to separate her visually other than the bathroom upstairs. But that's where I've got the big litterbox everyone likes to use. I'm already putting everyone under changes, and I don't want to change any litter boxes because I'm afraid it'll start resident kitties rebelling in a messy kind of way.

Winston
December 29th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Hi Ancientgirl! How did last night go? Any calmer ? Did you get some sleep?

Cindy

sugarcatmom
December 29th, 2007, 07:26 AM
I'm going to go out later and get some Feliway spray.

When you get the Feliway, spray it on things at chin-rubbing height (the cat's, not yours :D). Re-spray everyday. Also some Rescue Remedy might help diminish stress. With that, you can put some in everyone's water or food, or rub a couple of drops on the inside of their ears, or if you get the spray you can give their bedding a couple of squirts. It's good for people too! I always take some myself when I have to take Aztec to the vet so that I don't start a feedback loop of stress between us.

If you have some super-tasty treats that they go nuts for, offer some when the cats are in the same vicinity (especially to Czarina) and they'll hopefully start to associate good things with each other.

Good luck, I hope the integration goes smoothly!

chico2
December 29th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Vlads reaction to Maks is also perfectly normal,it does not mean he all of a sudden hates Maks.
The growling and screaming is very upsetting to them and they will lash out at the one closest to them.
I know right now you think it will never work out and you are stressed to the max,maybe you need some Rescue Remedy yourself.
As for the foaming at the mouth,if Chico gets very upset and scared,as when my Rocky attacked Bailey,he too was foaming at the mouth,terrified.
It's a scary,stressful situation for all involved including you,but try to think ahead,it will get better:pray:
Hopefully Kiska will be ok when she gets back home,you certainly will have your hands full,make sure the others don't take their stress out on her:fingerscr

SARAH
December 29th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Sorry, I'm just a bit stressed. I read it again and figured you didn't mean it that way.

Phew, relief :o didn't want you mad at me, or more upset and stressed than the cat-siruation is doing ...

Goodness, I hope it doesn't take THAT long. LOL.

I felt bad for Maks this morning though. Now Vlad is hissing at HIM and they always get along great. Poor little guy.

I'm guessing all hierarchy will have to be re-established; or maybe Maks seemed too friendly to Czarina to Vlad's liking ... sometimes I wish I was able to read the animals' mind like they seem to read mine!

Love4himies
December 29th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Vlads reaction to Maks is also perfectly normal,it does not mean he all of a sudden hates Maks.
The growling and screaming is very upsetting to them and they will lash out at the one closest to them.
I know right now you think it will never work out and you are stressed to the max,maybe you need some Rescue Remedy yourself.
Hopefully Kiska will be ok when she gets back home,you certainly will have your hands full,make sure the others don't take their stress out on her:fingerscr

I think Chico is right, when cats are stressed they will lash out to the closest kitty around. Sweet Pea would do this even to her kittens when she got stressed with Puddles and Jasper when I first brought her into the house.

It will take some time, and just keep in mind this is the best for Czarina.

Winston
December 29th, 2007, 09:18 AM
I think everything will be good once everyone is done going to the vets and back! Cats do lash out at the closest thing to them! My two have done that! But it is going to be a tough few days! but boy you can handleit! I am sure! Look at how things were with Maks and Kiska! I can picture Czarina being the mom to them all! she just needs time to learn that she doesnt have to be afraid, fight back or even fight for food or attention..

You will be fine! Today try to enjoy your day! Go about your business and let them do their hissing and get it over with....maybe if you pay a little less attention they will come around...

How has Oksana been with all of this?

Cindy

krdahmer
December 29th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Oh ya... every time Palomine gets all riled up about the little outdoor cat that comes around... everyone gets riled up. They just hear him hissing and growling and even Smoke comes running up from the basement to swat someone. And I've found they even pick up on my anger and get a bit rangy with each other then (usually taking it out on my cell phone if its hubby I argued with). Everything seems pretty normal so far... and I have found the more cats, the longer the intros take, especially with adult cats like Czarina. But even if things are a little hairy right now, you deserve a great big pat on the back... you are doing a great thing, she is safe, and healthy and (well up here I would say warm, but...) cool & dry. And she'll see that and realize that living with all those pesky little kittens won't be so bad. :rolleyes::laughing: She knows you, and likes you, so that is a great start!:thumbs up :highfive::grouphug:

Lukka'sma
December 29th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Hope things soon start to settle a bit around your house:)

14+kitties
December 29th, 2007, 09:45 AM
:grouphug: mf Hang in there!!! And lots of baby powder for them all, especially with Kiska coming home from the vets today.
I agree with krdahmer, Czarina will probably become the matriarch of the household being the oldest. She will love it. And even if they all never totally get along, your place is big enough they can each find their own spot. :highfive:

want4rain
December 29th, 2007, 10:48 AM
:goodvibes::goodvibes: good vibes coming your way Nuria!! you are doing just fine!!! get some hot tea and just take a break from it all. take your time and things will work out *just* fine ok?? you are doing a such a good thing for these kitties and once they all stop and realize you arent going away, the warm fuzzy places are more than enough for everyone and food is plentiful they ALL will unwind. it will just take a little while and a whole lot of patience and cleverness from you. :)

just remember Czarina has been through a great deal of stress. she may have some issues with being bored at first but frankly... i dont know a cat yet who wouldnt prefer to be bored... just let her get use to the idea. :) you could take yesterdays shirt and stick it in the room with her?? one that you were petting Maks while you were wearing it?? maybe you could take little wash cloths and rub them on your other kitties cheeks when they are happy and petty and give them to Czarina? that may help a little. :)

-ashley

chico2
December 29th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Ancientgirl,I also wanted to mention,although you probably already know,if there is a cat-fight,keep your hands out of it,use a watersprayer or throw a pillow at them,that's what I do.
If Vlad is a laidback kind of boy,his agression might not last long.
Czarina is very stressed and reacts the only way she knows how,she'll calm down eventually:pray:
Hope little Kiska is ok:fingerscr

ancientgirl
December 29th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I just want to thank all of you for your support and advice. AND experience! Lord, I don't know what I'd do if I had to do this on my own, and I feel like I'm not, which is very important to me right now.

One of my friends knows I have another kitty now and she thinks I'm nuts, and I can't tell anyone else because I just can't deal with lectures on top of everything else. Here, being able to write out my feelings and concerns, and knowing I will get understanding, means so much to me.

Last night went quietly. I went up to bed around 9:00 and shut off the lights down here and got the other three up to the room with me. I figured, Czarina probably needs some time to herself what with three and soon to be 4 other strange cats around.

I did get some spray Feliway and gave her area and the living room a few sprays. I also picked up a grooming spray that has a baby powder scent and sprayed some on my hand and then rubbed all of them with it. It's handier than the powder and not as dusty, and I'll put some on Kiska before I get her home.

Maks' situation made me wonder. There is a big orange kitty around the complex, and I'm wondering if Czarina has had issues with him, and now she thinks Maks is him. Regardless, they will all eventually have to learn to live with each other. In time I hope she realizes Maks isn't the kitty outside.

Oksana has been very quiet and her usual observant self. Vlad has been the most vocal, probably since he's Alpha kitty, but no major growling or scary meows this morning. At least, not while I've been home.

I'll have to look for that Rescue Remedy when I go out later. I'll go by the Petco and see if they have it there, then go and get Tiny Miss. Anything I can do to make this as stress free for them I'll try.

I like the idea of Czarina being the matriarch. She is the oldest, and it would be nice if she were to eventually become mother hen. I gather she's had quite a lonely life and I hope she realizes she's no longer alone and how much fun having other's around is.

Sarah, I also wish I could read their minds. Actually, I wish I could just be able to convey to them everything will be all right and this is all for their own good.

Right now, everyone is napping. Czarina is hiding in her spot in the half bath, OH, and she used the litter so that was a huge relief for me to see this morning.

ancientgirl
December 29th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Ancientgirl,I also wanted to mention,although you probably already know,if there is a cat-fight,keep your hands out of it,use a watersprayer or throw a pillow at them,that's what I do.
If Vlad is a laidback kind of boy,his agression might not last long.
Czarina is very stressed and reacts the only way she knows how,she'll calm down eventually:pray:
Hope little Kiska is ok:fingerscr

Yep, I've got the watersprayer handy at all times!:D

Vlad isn't very laid back. Oksana is the most laid back of all of them. Czarina has been through quite a bit. She's been taken from her familiar surroundings, taken to a vet, prodded, poked, given a bath and then brought to another strange place surrounded by strange kitties.

Hopefully I can make some headway while I'm here. But regardless, they have plenty of time, and knowing the screen is between them, at least they can see each other and hiss and meow all they want and nobody will get hurt.

sugarcatmom
December 29th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I'll have to look for that Rescue Remedy when I go out later. I'll go by the Petco and see if they have it there, then go and get Tiny Miss.

It may not be something Petco carries, it's usually found at human health food stores or higher-end pet supply stores. But check it out, I could be wrong.

Another tip I came across is to put clean socks (preferably washed in unscented detergent) on your hands and wipe one of the kitties with it so that it's covered in their scent, then place one sock by Czarina's food and one in her bed. Do the same with her so that everybody is exposed to her scent in "happy" places. Take turns doing that with all 4 cats until Czarina gets familiar with everybody's smell one-on-one. You'll need lots of socks!

ancientgirl
December 29th, 2007, 11:49 AM
It may not be something Petco carries, it's usually found at human health food stores or higher-end pet supply stores. But check it out, I could be wrong.

Another tip I came across is to put clean socks (preferably washed in unscented detergent) on your hands and wipe one of the kitties with it so that it's covered in their scent, then place one sock by Czarina's food and one in her bed. Do the same with her so that everybody is exposed to her scent in "happy" places. Take turns doing that with all 4 cats until Czarina gets familiar with everybody's smell one-on-one. You'll need lots of socks!

Yikes, I don't have that many socks! But I do have some wash cloths I've just washed. I use an unscented detergent anyway so that should work.

There's a health food market not far from me. I can probably go there and find it. I'll find their number and see if I can get someone to look for me.

14+kitties
December 29th, 2007, 01:50 PM
One of my friends knows I have another kitty now and she thinks I'm nuts, and I can't tell anyone else because I just can't deal with lectures on top of everything else. Here, being able to write out my feelings and concerns, and knowing I will get understanding, means so much to me.

:wall: Now you know what I go through on a daily basis with 16. :D
When I start getting the lectures about taking mine to the pound or shelter I take it as an opportunity to educate people about the sheer number of unwanted animals there already. I tell them at least with mine I know they are being fed, looked after, and loved. If that doesn't do it then I tell them to MYOB!!

ancientgirl
December 29th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Why is it so hard for people to just keep their unwanted comments to themselves?

Kiska is home and I spritzed her with some baby powder mist before i let her out of the carrier. They gave me some pain medication I'll be giving her for the next several days.

I'm supposed to keep her calm. Yeah right. LOL, she's getting herself familiar with the surroundings again and with everyone. Maks was ecstatic to see her. She still hasn't seen Czarina yet though.

14+kitties
December 29th, 2007, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=ancientgirl;521504]Why is it so hard for people to just keep their unwanted comments to themselves?[QUOTE]

I think in most cases they are just trying to make us see the error of our ways. You know - "I'm just trying to help, really!" Unless they are animal lovers they will continue to look at us as though we are nuts.

It's good Kiska is home. Now all 5 can get used to things the way they will be the rest of their lives. I know how hard it is to keep them quiet. Yeah, sure they can be made to take it easy...... I love the crate I am using for my bunch. I have them in where I can watch them and let them out for cuddles and play for a while, then put them back in to rest. It worked well for the first ones.

ancientgirl
December 29th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Things are quiet right now.

They must have had another confrontation while I was gone, because I saw more foam, as in Czarina was foaming at the mouth again.

I'm going spray a bit more Feliway around later this evening. I picked up some of the Rescue Remedy and put a couple of drops in their water. I'll freshen the bowls up later and add a few more drops.

I'll be happy the day there is no more hissing.:D

14+kitties
December 29th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Take a deep breath and say to yourself...... This too shall pass. :)

SARAH
December 29th, 2007, 02:43 PM
II'll have to look for that Rescue Remedy when I go out later. I'll go by the Petco and see if they have it there, then go and get Tiny Miss. Anything I can do to make this as stress free for them I'll try.

Rescue Remedy ... as in Bach's flower remedies? That stuff is so good! I have a bottle, but ... the darn cap is stuck :yell: I can't get it open!!! I do know where to get a new bottle though (on St Jean in DDO - Montreal - at a health store) but this one is almost full still :sad:

Dracko
December 29th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Sarah, I've had the same problem before. Just run it under some hot water and you should be able to unscrew it.

SARAH
December 29th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Old trick, works every time :laughing: why did I forget it all of a sudden :confused:

:eek: no! Altzheimers :confused: already :confused::eek:

ancientgirl
December 29th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Bachs is the kind I have. Sugarcatmom posted a link, and it's the same thing I found at the health food store.

I had to put it in Czarina's food, since she seems to drink very little water.

I'm trying to just relax and let it all roll. My best friend called me and told me a mutual friend is having a BBQ at his place on New Years day, so I think by that time, I'll really need the break.

One step at a time ancient, one step at a time.

SARAH
December 29th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Enjoy the BBQ :thumbs up

We'll be doing one on New Years Eve (yes, in Montreal - with bonnet and mittens if we need to, lol, but BBQ it is!) but at home, quietly, just the 6 of us! :dog: :cat: :highfive: :cat: :dog: (the :highfive: being 2 humans, lol).

How are the kitties doing?

ancientgirl
December 29th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I'm actually looking forward to it. I don't usually go to too many social gatherings, but these are friends of mine and I know everyone and I'll need the time away.

While I was away there was more foaming at the mouth by Czarina. I've put some of the Rescue Remedy on her food, and I put some in the water bowls of the others.

Czarina is in her corner, and the others are napping. It's quiet right now, but come dinner time when everybody is in the same are, things will get interesting.

chico2
December 29th, 2007, 03:58 PM
My bet is,that Czarina has had to defend herself outside an awful lot..
I don't think she sees Maks as a threat because he looks like the big Tom outside,cats go mostly by smell,not by the colour of the cat.
She is upset with everyone right now and cannot escape,time,time and more time will fix that:cat:
How does she react when you go in to see her???
Good Luck tonight!

ancientgirl
December 29th, 2007, 04:54 PM
My bet is,that Czarina has had to defend herself outside an awful lot..
I don't think she sees Maks as a threat because he looks like the big Tom outside,cats go mostly by smell,not by the colour of the cat.
She is upset with everyone right now and cannot escape,time,time and more time will fix that:cat:
How does she react when you go in to see her???
Good Luck tonight!

Okay so Maks isn't an appetizer LOL.

As Mick once said, "time is on my side." :laughing:

Chico, she is very affectionate towards me. She rubs her head on my hand and on my legs and anywhere she can. I picked her up and put her on my lap for a bit while I was in there with her, and she started kneading at my thighs. And I think I heard a very low purr. I know she trusts me so I think that's really a big part of all of this.

And yes, she's probably been defending herself for several years outside. It's going to take some time for her to see the others as friends and potential playmates and not enemies and competitors for food.

All the more reason why I'm angry with her situation. I strongly believe she was just left behind. I half thought about asking the vet to see if she was microchipped, but decided I didn't want to know. She's been out there for several years. The mere fact that during all that time if she was lost, nobody came looking for her makes me think they didn't want her badly enough. The only thing her previous owners did right was spay her. At least she didn't have to suffer with being pregnant and struggling to keep herself and her kittens fed.

krdahmer
December 29th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Old trick, works every time :laughing: why did I forget it all of a sudden :confused:

:eek: no! Altzheimers :confused: already :confused::eek:

:laughing: no no Sarah it's just that pesky old 'some-timers'!!:rolleyes::laughing:

And I know what you mean about the cap sticking... I have to use my teeth sometimes to pry it open!

ancientgirl
December 29th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I just got mine today and already I've noticed it sticking too.

Winston
December 29th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Hey Ancientgirl! How do you say Czarina's name? Is it like cee-za-rina?

Cindy

ancientgirl
December 29th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Hey Ancientgirl! How do you say Czarina's name? Is it like cee-za-rina?

Cindy

The C is silent. It can also be spelled Tsarina or Tzarina. But then I think people would try to pronounce the T all the time. When you see the spelling with C, the pronunciation isn't as difficult.

rainbow
December 29th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Ancientgirl, I read all your threads but I don't always post in them because, by the time I do read them, you've already been given lots of great advice. :o

You are a great kitty mommy and things will settle down between all the cats one step at a time. :D

Like you said, time is on your side. http://bestsmileys.com/clocks/7.gif

http://bestsmileys.com/clocks/3.gif

ancientgirl
December 29th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks. Your support is always welcome, even if you don't comment.

Everyone is calm right now. I went in a little while ago to sit with Czarina and she sat on my lap. Then she saw Kiska and began to hiss.

I put her down on her little bed and got out. I didn't want to be in there in case she decided to get even more nervous. As I was walking out, and closing the screen behind me, I saw Vlad now looking inside. She hissed at him, he hissed at her, and I picked up Kiska, since I didn't want her to get too riled up, she's supposed to be taking it easy.

And can you believe my Tiny Miss was growling? LOL, she gave this little hiss and growled. I have to say, it's not so scary coming from a 3 pound kitty but it sure is cute.:laughing:

chico2
December 30th, 2007, 07:28 AM
It's too bad you don't have an extra room,where she could walk around and smell the other kitties,or a room where the 4-some could be confined for a bit,while she could checck out your place.
Maybe you could exchange the kitty-beds or a blanket:confused:
Cats do go strange when confined..
I remember in Cuba one year,we had this orange Tom following us everywhere,sleeping on hubbys lap in the pool-chair,as sweet as can be:cat:
One night he followed me in to the bathroom,the minute I closed the door,he attacked me,gave me a deep infected wound in my foot.
Now,he was a battlescarred old Tom,not at all like our housecats..

SARAH
December 30th, 2007, 07:39 AM
:laughing: no no Sarah it's just that pesky old 'some-timers'!!:rolleyes::laughing:

And I know what you mean about the cap sticking... I have to use my teeth sometimes to pry it open!

Ouch, watch the teeth! Alzheimers and fake teeth ... :laughing: :laughing:

By the way, do you remember his first name?

No?

You see, it's starting already :sad:

(lol, that was a joke my son came home from school with one day ... had him cracking up, because my ex didn't remember the first name :D )

For your own fun at parties ... it's Alois ;)

:sorry: :offtopic:

ancientgirl
December 30th, 2007, 09:47 AM
It's too bad you don't have an extra room,where she could walk around and smell the other kitties,or a room where the 4-some could be confined for a bit,while she could checck out your place.
Maybe you could exchange the kitty-beds or a blanket:confused:
Cats do go strange when confined..
I remember in Cuba one year,we had this orange Tom following us everywhere,sleeping on hubbys lap in the pool-chair,as sweet as can be:cat:
One night he followed me in to the bathroom,the minute I closed the door,he attacked me,gave me a deep infected wound in my foot.
Now,he was a battlescarred old Tom,not at all like our housecats..

I could try to put the others in the kitchen for a bit. But I'd have to find something to block the counter opening. Or I can put them all in the upstairs bathroom for a little bit, but the kitchen is a bigger space, and the bathroom has their litter box.

I'll have to figure something out here. I could try to just carry her around for a bit. I did that when I got Oksana, Kiska and Maks. But they were all kittens. I wonder if it would work with a bigger kitty.

You lived in Cuba? I was born there. Don't remember a thing though, I was two when we left.

chico2
December 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM
No,I did not live in Cuba,but have been there several times on vacation,there are always tons of cats running around at the resorts.
A word of CAUTION,I would not attempt to carry Czarina while introducing her to the others,she will undoubtedly hurt you.:yell:it's different with a kitten.
When I introduced Rocky to Vinnie,carrying Vinnie,was the first time Rocky attacked me,trying to get to Vinnie,so please,don't carry her..

ancientgirl
December 30th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Don't worry, I'm not carrying her. I thought about that. I have her next to me. she's on the floor, in the pyramid bed. Everyone else is napping except Oksana who has her eye on Czarina.

I've managed to get a few pictures of her. I'm going to post them.

SARAH
December 30th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I like that pyramid bed. Looks nice and comfy and that pompom hanging down is cute too. Not that this a time for play for Czarina, too stressed for that right now, but still.

I wonder if I could manage to hang that mouse Spoutnik has and that Sheba wants to eat ( :frustrated: ) so I have to hide it from both of them, in his little house? It's not as high-ceilinged as the pyramid though.

rainbow
December 30th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Hee hee.....carrying a cat is definitely not a wise thing to do and my hubby learned the hard way. :rolleyes:

Jasmine was a 5 month old semi-feral when I rescued her. I kept her in the basement so I could slowly introduce her to the dogs. She soon was fine with us and then decided to pick her up and "show her" to the dogs. :rolleyes: He ended up with some dandy scratches on his neck and a huge tear in his lip. :eek:

ancientgirl
December 30th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I like that pyramid bed. Looks nice and comfy and that pompom hanging down is cute too. Not that this a time for play for Czarina, too stressed for that right now, but still.

I wonder if I could manage to hang that mouse Spoutnik has and that Sheba wants to eat ( :frustrated: ) so I have to hide it from both of them, in his little house? It's not as high-ceilinged as the pyramid though.

I've seen those beds at Petco and Petsmart for close to $20, but a friend of mine found one for $7.00 at Ross. They have some really cute beds and some really great prices.

ancientgirl
December 30th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Hee hee.....carrying a cat is definitely not a wise thing to do and my hubby learned the hard way. :rolleyes:

Jasmine was a 5 month old semi-feral when I rescued her. I kept her in the basement so I could slowly introduce her to the dogs. She soon was fine with us and then decided to pick her up and "show her" to the dogs. :rolleyes: He ended up with some dandy scratches on his neck and a huge tear in his lip. :eek:

Well, I've had some nasty scratches holding Vlad and Maks on occasion. Those came from having them in my arms when I went to the door. I've still got a huge scratch on my stomach that Vlad gave me the other day trying to get down because I happened to be holding him when someone knocked on my door.

SARAH
December 30th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I've seen those beds at Petco and Petsmart for close to $20, but a friend of mine found one for $7.00 at Ross. They have some really cute beds and some really great prices.

Maybe Costco or Hart would have some on occasion, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled when we go out now! I want one for my kitties! Ideally, I'd love to get a big cat-tree and place it close to the wall unit so Misti could get up and sleep on the stereo/under the spot light, being warmed from both sides at once! Where we had it before she could get up in steps, now she'd have to jump straight up, and a 7-foot jump is not in her genes to do.

Well, I've had some nasty scratches holding Vlad and Maks on occasion. Those came from having them in my arms when I went to the door. I've still got a huge scratch on my stomach that Vlad gave me the other day trying to get down because I happened to be holding him when someone knocked on my door.

Ooh, the dangerous door-knocking-monster! I know what that one does to a cat: scat!! Whereas the dog rushes to meet the monster head on! Lol. This is why cats and dogs can live together without feeling threatened on their territory: the house is divided into dog zones and cat zones!

Cat scratches ... I think we could start a thread with pics and stories of that alone and get a LOT of pages in a short time! :laughing:

ancientgirl
December 30th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Well, I just got a really cute little thing from Amazon. Someone sent me a gift certificate for Christmas and I used part of it for this:

Cat scratching condo (http://www.amazon.com/Design-Armarkat-scratching-condo-scratcher/dp/B000JXR4FM/ref=pd_sbs_k?ie=UTF8&coliid=I20Y1KG7TC0IBI&colid=RPSX8LQYDR7F)

I'd like to get this next:

42" cat tree (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H36S7E/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I20Y1KG7TC0IBI&colid=RPSX8LQYDR7F)

If you look you'll see that they also carry some bigger ones. Some bigger some mid sized. So far they like the one I just got them and it wasn't terribly expensive.

Well, Vlad usually is the greeter, but I was holding him at the time and opened the door, so no doubt he got scared.

chico2
December 30th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I have something similar,after X-Mas these things are usually on sale,so now is a good time to get one.
I'll see if I have a pic on the PC.
No I don't,but I found a pic of baby-Vinnie in his tent and the third one is Vinnie sleeping in the cat-tree I bought,was on sale for only $39 at Pet-Smart a couple of years ago.

ancientgirl
December 30th, 2007, 03:44 PM
He's so cute. I just realized he's got two different color eyes! That's always fascinated me about white cats.

I like the box too. I see those quite a bit more than the pyramid, but I think they work just as well. I gather its more a feeling that A, its comfortable and B it makes them feel safe all enclosed like that.