Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

8 yr old cat lost an important tooth!

lesleyalabama
December 28th, 2007, 03:45 AM
PLEASE! I need help! My cat just has been a freak (beyond normal cat freak) for at least 5 weeks and i just nbow discovered she's lost her right canine tooth! No wonder she's been a bEEOch! She's been in pain and it breaks my heart! Any clues as to why this happened?

growler~GateKeeper
December 28th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Ouch!! Usually when the adults lose a tooth it is caused by either trauma - a hit of some kind of tooth/gum decay which can lead to or is caused by painful bone loss in the jaw (same as humans). Since you do not have the tooth you can't tell if the whole thing fell out - there is a good chance some of it, including the nerves, is still in her jaw.

From Veterinary Partner (http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=128)

How can I tell if my pet is suffering from periodontal disease?

The leading sign is bad breath. Dogs and cats should not have disagreeable mouth odor. Bad breath comes from infection. If your pet's breath does not smell like roses, let us examine its mouth and advise care.

What type of tests are done to diagnose dental disease?

If your pet has periodontal disease or a fractured tooth, an oral exam is performed while under anesthesia. A periodontal probe is used to evaluate bone loss around each tooth. X-rays are taken to evaluate if the teeth can be saved or need to be extracted.

What can be done if my pet has periodontal disease?

Periodontal disease occurs when tooth support structures are affected by infection. In the beginning stages, cleaning above and below the gum line as well as removal of calculus attached to the tooth will help restore periodontal health. In advanced cases, either periodontal surgery or extractions are performed. Antibiotics given monthly also help to control the progression of periodontal disease.
Which animals are at most risk for periodontal disease?

Smaller breeds are more prone than larger because the teeth are closer together in small dogs, and they usually live longer. Terriers, Maltese, and Shih Tzus are especially prone to periodontal disease.

What can you do to fix a broken tooth?

If your dog or cat breaks a tooth, there are two treatments: root canal therapy or extraction. You cannot leave the tooth alone with an exposed nerve. In addition to pain, infection will soon develop that can spread to the rest of your pet's body.

I know it is between holidays now but try to book her in for an appt ASAP, since she is 8 years old this would also be a great time for a full geriatric blood panel & urinalysis to make sure everything is functioning properly