Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ugh...Teiya is in heat!!!

Dracko
December 27th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Teiya and her sister, Kinsey, are about 7 months old now. I had an appt a couple weeks ago to get them fixed and cancelled it as I had to be somewhere out of town. :wall::wall::wall:

The last few days Teiya has been really vocal. Numerous times I had to go check her out thinking something was wrong by the sound of her meows. Today it was so obvious I couldn't believe I hadn't realized what was wrong.

She was walking along the floor with her belly practically touching the ground. Anytime she stopped she'd arch her back up and put her butt in the air. She is rubbing on everything! Fortunately I haven't seen her spray at all. Right now she is sleeping on my bed but if you go and pet her she gets all mushy and put her butt in the air.

Fortunately all of my cats are fixed with the exception of Teiya and her sister. At least I didn't run in to the situation you did, ancientgirl, where there is one boy and one girl!:o

I'm not sure what to do about her. I read they will spay cats when they are in heat but prefer not to. I wonder if I should take away the food/water tonight and call the vets in the morning and see if I can drop her off or call and make an appointment for late next week assuming she will have passed through this stage. :pray:

Winston
December 28th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Dracko! I think you may have to wait for the spay...most vets dont want to do it while there in heat...I also think they charge a little more if she has had her first heat! not sure though! I have heard people say that the vets like to wait so that everything inside is back to normal..

Good Luck

Cindy

Lise
December 28th, 2007, 08:15 AM
You can spay a cat when they're in heat.Dogs most vets prefer to wait.Call your vet make appointment,then everyone will be much happier and less vocal!!Good luck Lisa

ancientgirl
December 28th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Oh boy, do I ever feel for you and little Teiya. I was only two weeks away from our appointment and she went into heat. Luckily it only lasted about 5 days. My vet didn't want to spay her though, not until she had gone through her cycle. She said it was a more complicated procedure when they are in heat and can be dangerous to the kitty.

I hope she gets over it soon! I'm hoping she doesn't set her sister off!:eek:

14+kitties
December 28th, 2007, 01:01 PM
How very frustrating for you! I am looking at that times 10 very soon. My boys are being done first (4 left to be done) and then I will worry about the gals.
I was googling stuff this morning and found this site. It has lots of interesting info that you might find useful. It also explains why vets prefer not to spay while kitties are in heat. Hope it helps and good luck. :fingerscr

http://www.cochraneanimalclinic.ca/info_for_owners/downloads/Spay-Neuter_Cats.pdf

Dracko
December 28th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the link 14+, I'll check it out as soon as I post this.

I called the Cat Hospital this morning. Because of the holidays I can't bring her in until Wednesday. Although I have to spend the time until then listening to her howls, it's probably good as maybe she'll have passed through this heat stage. Ancientgirl, glad to know Kiska's lasted 5 days. If Teiya's is the same she should be done it by Wednesday. I know that isn't a given but something for me to look forward to.

Fortunately she seems to do her howling for a short bit, then stop. I've read some cats go on and on and on and on, non stop. Also, I have to be grateful that non of my other cats are unfixed males. None of the others are paying any attention to her really. Nor my dog.

And, yes, I am so :pray: that Kinsey doesn't start!!!

:wall::wall::wall::wall: I am such an idiot for not taking them in sooner. :censored:

Dracko
December 28th, 2007, 04:09 PM
My oldest cat, Mochie, I adopted when she was 2 from the Calgary Humane Society. She hadn't been spayed until that point. Makes me wonder if she ever had a litter or how someone could have put up with a cat going in to heat all the time?!?!?

ancientgirl
December 28th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Kiska was like that too. It would just come in short spirts, then she's be okay for a long while. She really wasn't too bad at night either.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that she's over it soon.