Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about a lazy daschund?

FrankieRay
December 27th, 2007, 10:31 PM
We have a 6 month old Dachshund that we just got a few days ago and he seems to be very tired all of the time and if we let him will pretty much sleep all day and night. Granted we have only had him 3 days but he seems to have zero energy. Is this just him getting adjusted to his new home or is there something we need to do to get him modivated and become more energetic.

Thanks in advance...

Jake

SnowDancer
December 27th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Have you had your Dachshund checked out by a vet? Two of our Dachshunds were adopted at about 6 months of age and while they LOVED to sleep - and eat - they were also very energetic especially when it came to taking charge of their new surroundings. It could just be the new environment - a couple of ours had mild temperaments as opposed to being Alpha and they were more easy going, but it sounds as if something is a bit off. It could be any number of things. Going forward though, please be very careful about your pup's weight, keeping him off stairs as much as possible, discourage jumping up onto the bed and sofa (and he will want to ensconce himself in bed and on the couch) - if you could fashion a ramp that should help with potential back and neck disc problems. Please let us know what the vet says.

FrankieRay
December 27th, 2007, 11:23 PM
We plan to take him to the vet next week for a check up. The first two days we had him he would shake all the time when he went out side, granted its been about 20 degs outside but today at the same temp he did not shake at all. He has all his shots and just got a rabies (sp?) the day we got him. I have also contacted the breeder we purchased him from to see what they say. We lost our first Dachshund to parvo last year so I might just be a little nervous and taking everything to seriously.

Jake

badger
December 27th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Jake, can we have a picture, oh please. What's the new boy's name? I hope it is just anxious first days and nothing serious.

FrankieRay
December 28th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Funny; about an hour after my post he started to move around a little bit and then about an hour later we was playing for about 20 mins, but then he needed a nap LOL.

Here is a pic of him at about 2 months (He is the one on the right)

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/ebf15e37-bdc8-4977-9b05-af7818ae1969.jpg

brandynva
December 28th, 2007, 10:19 AM
He's cute! I love dachshunds. I know when I first brought our new puppy home at 7 months she was all calm and laid back. She did the shaky shaky thing everywhere for a couple of days. But now it's been about a week and I definetly see the perky puppy in her! Very playful and energetic. I am hoping in your case it's just a matter of settling in. It sounds like you are a good owner, though, and will not let things get bad before getting him checked out. Good luck and we definetly want more pictures! :thumbs up

Rottielover
December 28th, 2007, 10:31 AM
What a cutie...I have never seen a pure dax with those colorings..Kinda neat

badger
December 28th, 2007, 11:07 AM
:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:
is he a standard?

SnowDancer
December 28th, 2007, 11:14 AM
I would watch him very closely - it is possible that he is nervous. Note though that according to my last guy's neuro and our primary vet that dogs with the more unusual colourings within their breed often experience more the normal health problems common to the breed, plus a few others. They told me this because my guy was a gorgeous Dapple - and since you posted the pictures, just wanted to make sure you know this. Back in the day when we adopted our first guy, a serious alpha - but benevolent - most Dachshunds were Big dogs in Small bodies - which became a problem because people thought they were getting a cute little dog - rather than a fierce protector. How I miss him. Our last guy had same temperament. But 2 years ago I went to the Toronto dog festival and there was a group of Dachshund owners together with their dogs and they were all talking about how nervous their dogs were - and the stomach problems. This was a shock to me. I mentioned it to my vet and she said that many of the young Dachshunds she is seeing now are much more complacent than in days of old - guess they are trying to breed out the aggressiveness - would be better to try and shorten the bodies to breed out disc disease. I would definitely monitor your pup closely and see how things go and mention it to your vet. I always have to mention the neck disc disease because so many people don't know about it and we found out the hard way. A limp in the front paw can be the indicator - if this happens, run to the vet - after determining that there isn't anything caught in the paw. You might get your pup a sweater as well - they do love their warmth - no matter how hot it is out. You said it was 20 degrees so I am guessing you are in the US - yep a Dachshund could be cold at 20 F. Hope all goes well. I would also suggest a harness for your pup - I am sure you know this, but since so many Dachshund owners ask me where I bought my Eskimo's harness because they thought it would be great for their dogs, thought I would mention it.

SnowDancer
December 28th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Re-thinking that 20 degrees (I was up all night) - that would be cold if in F and a Dachshund would also be cold at 20 C or 68 F. If you are at 20C guessing you must be in Vancouver or somewhere - other than Toronto. If you are in Canada, you might look into the company VetInsurance - when we signed our Eskie up 3 years ago, they were still covering Dachshund disc disease and your pup is young enough to get in under the 12 month mark. If you don't know the price of Dachshund back surgery it runs about $7 - 8,000.

FrankieRay
December 28th, 2007, 01:54 PM
What a cutie...I have never seen a pure dax with those colorings..Kinda neat

Thats why I had to have him, he had alot of the same marking of my Britney (mack R.I.P.). I have always wanted another brit but just dont have the time to burn all the engery off with them and we love doxies so it was perfect.

FrankieRay
December 28th, 2007, 02:00 PM
My wife did make him a few sweaters for the cold winder in the US. I just talked to my wife and he seems to warming up to us more. He fell in love with my 6yr old he followers her around everywhere, it will be intresting to see how he does when she goes back to school from X-MAS break. He slept in her bed the first night so I guest he picked his friend. The other night I tried to get him to lay with my on the couch after the kids went to bed but he wanted to part of that he kept running back into their room so now when the girls go to bed so does Frankie...LOL

thanks for all your helpful comments.

Rainy
December 28th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I would run a stool sample into the vets just to rule out anything parasitic.Even if your dog had dewormings.

FrankieRay
December 28th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Here is a more updated pic;

http://site.coinswag.com/images/Christmas07039.JPG

SnowDancer
December 29th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Yes, still have your pup checked out at vet. Since you have experience with Dachshunds, you will know to be careful with the Dachshund and your daughter - especially if you want to discipline her - or maybe remove him from her bed to take him out - he might want to control the situation. Depends on the dog's temperament. Mine was a benevolent Alpha - just gave my husband the evil eye. Just never forget that these guys are really "big" in their hearts and minds. Might be a good thing for you if he is mild mannered - for me though I LOVE the Alphas.

FrankieRay
January 3rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
We took Frankie to the vet yesterday and he is a healthly pup, he did have ear mites but he got the treatment he needed. He is full of energy and moving around like crazy, I guess he just needed a few days to adjust. I got to thinking that the first two days he was at his new home was hecktic as we had lots of family and kids around for x-mas so I cant blame him for just wanted to curl up and sleep.

Thanks for the the helpful post.

SnowDancer
January 3rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
I look forward to your report the next time family comes visiting - particularly say 6 months down the road - they may well find a different pup greeting them. I am sure very friendly, just with a different attitude - welcome to MY house!