Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

7 lives left and doing good!

SARAH
December 27th, 2007, 03:16 PM
We just had Spoutnik at the vet's in Hudson for his booster shot. It's been 30 days since the SPCA "shot" him initially, so he was due for it.

They thought he looked like he was 2 months NOW, but then again, given that he almost died from not eating and drinking the first week we had him, then lost his appetite again when he got the cold w/fever the following week (which is why I'm saying he basically has 7 lives left out of the cat's 9 lives), he's not doing too badly at all.

He is eating now, canned, kibble and raw; drinking milk and dog-slobber-water, and being a general nuisance like every other kitten his age.

The vet was not concerned over his somewhat teary eyes, so I won't worry either. She gave me de-worming stuff to syringe into his mouth, but I'll wait till tomorrow because poor little thing ...

First off today, he got a collar on him. Weird thing! Then I put a leash on that collar and took him outside and into the car! You know, that noisy, wobbling thing that brought him first to the SPCA and then from there here! Not a nice contraption the car :frustrated: he let us know his displeasure with several LOUD meows before we got to the 40-exit from the 20 even!

Then we go inside the vet's building. There, a lady was waiting with a Shih Tsu that didn't bark at Spoutnik, nice dog :D She went in before us, and when she came out, Spoutnik was called in. We waited in a small room, and then the vet came and placed Spoutnik on the scales.

1.26 lbs (including collar, tag and part of the leash!)

So far so good. He was soon back up on my shoulder though, safer there. But she wanted to look inside his mouth, well, ok then, he complied. Worse! She wanted to check his privates to see if it was all there! Who cares, they'll be snipped anyway!! He was back on my shoulder even faster after that one :laughing:

The shot? Not a peep. Such a good little boy Spoutnik. He had a good cuddle afetrwards, and obviously hoped no one would remove him from my arms again :sad::eek: help.

We went out to pay, all was well, and then ... someone pulled up with two huskies! A female, grey and white with dark eyes, and a male, red and white with blue eyes. Beautiful dogs, but I didn't want them to see my little kitten, so I went over in a corner and backed out to the door and snuck out sideways :laughing: I did explain to the owners why though, and that I would have cuddled those two dogs in a flash had I not had my kitten in my arms.

No more meows on the way home, he fell asleep. Too many emotions. Well inside the house, he ran straight to his little red house-bed and has been there since, with Misti sprawled in and outside of her bed next to it.

I have a feeling he won't try to sneak out the door for a while :D

chico2
December 27th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Oh Sarah.poor little guy,but a funny story:laughing:
He is really tiny though a 1.26lb's,hope he starts sprouting soon,which I am sure he will:cat:

clm
December 27th, 2007, 05:51 PM
He sounds like my little Maxie who passed away a few years ago.
He was a tiny tiny kitten when we got him and he was very ill. He got better and thrived, but stayed small. He was the smallest black kitty I've ever seen but he was a happy healthy cat for 18 wonderful years.
I'm glad your little guy is doing so much better.

Cindy

ancientgirl
December 27th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Oh he's such a tiny little thing! I thought Kiska was small, she's only about 3 pounds and 4 months old.

He'll get some weight on him really fast though. Now that he's all better.:D

rainbow
December 28th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Geeze, I wouldn't dare take either of my cats to the vet without being inside their carrier. :o What a brave little guy Spoutnik is. :thumbs up I'm sure he will start gaining weight quickly now that he's all better. :goodvibes:

How about satin balls for cats? :D

SARAH
December 28th, 2007, 08:14 AM
He's now devouring his kitty-plate of canned food in the morning and polished off whatever Misti leaves in hers an hour later! The dry food is disappearing at speeds way over the legal speed limit!

And tonight we're having shepherd's pie (ok, cattle-herder's pie, it's beef) and I have a sneaky feeling there'll be two cats eagerly awaiting their portion of the meat - RAW !! Purrrr!

He's bigger than he was (obviously), longer body, longer legs, but so skinny still poor little guy. Still, he does eat now, and he purrs like crazy, and he's warm all over, not cold anymore.

chico2
December 28th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Sarah,you forget to mention,he's adorable:cat:

SARAH
December 28th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Oh he is, SO adorable! He was running around the kitchen floor playing hockey with a bottle cap (well, he's Canadian ain't he!?) and purring the whole time! Until the cap disappeared under the fridge :frustrated: and he was sprawled on his tummy nose stuck as far under the fridge as he could. Who went down on hands and knees, butt in the air, nose to the floor, with the handle of a wooden spoon in her hand to fish the darn cap out? Yes, me! and there was also a balled-up piece of paper under there, so I got it out at the same time.

He's purring almost all the time, sleeps between Sheba's legs at night, slaps her face when she tries to push him off Lewis' lap because it's HER lap - he doesn't quite see it tht way, hence the slaps - and he's so nice and cuddly-warm now.

I'll let him get a little bigger before I take new pics, but I'll certainly keep you updated on this little heart-breaker!

14+kitties
December 28th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Cutie patootie! He will make up the weight fast. I have a few who are only 3 pounds at 4 months. 4 to be exact. I don't think they are going to be very big when they are grown. But I think Mr Spout will be the way he's improved!! He is a character fur sure, fur sure. ;)

StumpsMom
December 28th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Wow....he had such a hard day:eek: I betcha he appreciates you a lot today ;)

SARAH
December 28th, 2007, 10:19 PM
We were out, getting some groceries, away for something like an hour + When we got home, he was purring and climbing up on our shoulders and wouldn't let us out of his sight. I guess he figured the car had taken us to some awful place like he'd been to yesterday or something :)

Then he spent the entire evening wrestling with Dani on and around the couch and under the wall unit (that would be him and the tip of Dani's nose until he whacked it) and finally "crashed" on my lap.

I'll see if I can't get a pic or two of him tomorrow ...

growler~GateKeeper
December 29th, 2007, 12:30 AM
:laughing: such adventures for one :eek: so tiny :lovestruck:

Mine always love shoulder rides too :cloud9:

Keep up the great food plan & the boy will fill out in no time :thumbs up

chico2
December 29th, 2007, 07:29 AM
:laughing::laughing:I find myself often crawling on the floor looking for a cat-toy,that they just have to have..
Vinnie was a shoulder-kitty for sure from day one,the problems is,he still is at 17lb's:cat:

SARAH
December 29th, 2007, 08:48 AM
17 lbs ... that's like 15+ lbs more than little Spoutnik! Yikes :laughing:

I took a couple of pics last night sitting here at the computer, all four animals were in one small area, small enough for me to get them all in one pic without even getting up!

SARAH
December 29th, 2007, 08:50 AM
See how Dani is interested in the bottle cap Misti is staring at, and Sheba is watching Spoutnik to see where he is and what he's doing :D too cute!

14+kitties
December 29th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Sarah, what milk is Spout getting? I noticed in the other thread you said he is still getting milk. Is it the one for the kitties? Cows milk may be a little rough for the sweetie pie. Just wondering and yep, I am snoopy. :p

http://www.paw-rescue.org/CATS/kitten_care.html

A site I think you will like. ;)

SARAH
December 29th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I was looking for the Whiskas cat milk that I used to find in Europe, but haven't seen it here at Loblaw's (forget Maxi, they just have the basics), so he's getting skim milk. Not ideal I agree, but it's still easier to digest than whole milk (even if it tastes a whole lot better, lol); and half the time the cats let the milk turn to yogurt before they eat it anyway, rather than drinking it :D

14+kitties
December 29th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Okey dokey. You could still use the milk replacer for him. Or tell that new hubby of yours ;) to check the pet stores. I know ours have the Whiskas and other brands. The grocery stores I frequent don't stock kitty milk either.

SARAH
December 29th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I'll do that. Maybe the pet store at the mall has it ... they had the baby formula, but he's beyond that now (and it was a bit pricey!). Besides, I know the two cats will drink from the same milk, and Misti does not need kitten-formula :laughing:

14+kitties
December 29th, 2007, 10:02 AM
:thumbs up

CearaQC
December 29th, 2007, 10:13 AM
IGA and Provigo both sell the Whiskas cat milk in our town. Worth checking to see if they carry it in Montreal as well.

SARAH
December 29th, 2007, 10:56 AM
IGA even has a store closer to us than the Loblaw's in Vaudreuil! I'll try to lure Lew over there, to him IGA is just too expensive, period! LOL, if I have to, I'll take the car one afternoon when he gets home from work and go over there myself! Thanks for the tip! (Provigo is almost all the way in town, not really an option for us).

SARAH
December 30th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Damn, the site went to blank screen as I tried to post! Not the first time it does that :frustrated:

Just to say I did find the cat milk, that Spoutnik didn't want anything to do with it, but Misti drank half the mini brick in one go!

ancientgirl
December 30th, 2007, 02:08 PM
When I first got Vlad, I had no idea not to give him milk. I gave him some on day and he wound up getting really bad diarrhea. I then tried getting some of the catsip and the whiskas, but he never took to it. In fact, none of mine really are interested in milk.

Of course, when I'm drinking milk Vlad tries to stick his paw in it to see what I'm having. :frustrated: But he does that with everything I eat or drink.

SARAH
December 30th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Misti too. She's so funny when I crack the eggs for breakfast, putting her paw on my hand and pulling it to her so she can have her yolk! I have to give her hers first, before I go on with the omelet/scramble/fried eggs :D with an extra egg-white!

ancientgirl
December 30th, 2007, 02:14 PM
LOL, yep, that's how it is here, except its not limited to just eggs. Everything is up for grabs for Vlad.

SARAH
December 30th, 2007, 02:31 PM
No, eggs, raw meat when I prepare that (cleaning the chicken breasts; portioning the ground beef/veal/turkey), sitting on her chair at the table waiting for something to be placed in front of her place ... prima donna!

chico2
December 30th, 2007, 03:22 PM
My Rocky does the exact same,from the moment I start preparing dinner and while we are eating he sits on the chair beside me,knowing he'll get a tid-bit:cat:

ancientgirl
December 30th, 2007, 03:37 PM
LOL, I think there's a kitty pattern here.:evil: