Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feeding the squirrels - how much

marko
December 27th, 2007, 09:50 AM
So now I've taken to feeding the squirrels - they are so cute.

I've been feeding them regular unsalted peanuts and i think there is only one or two that hang around but they are so similar looking that sometimes it's tough to tell.

so 2 questions..

1 - Does anyone know how many peanuts make a meal or a daily portion for a squirrel?

2 - and is feeding them a bad thing? I try and only feed them in the morning so they don't wait for me all day.

Thanks!

marko

Lukka'sma
December 27th, 2007, 10:19 AM
:laughing::laughing: The squirrels in my neighborhood think the dinner bell is the sound of my door opening, any time I poke my head out they congregate on the trunk of the tree staring at me. I usually toss a handful of sunflower seeds, peanuts, walnuts etc. Sometimes I make bread with peanut butter on it (we call them peanut butter dreams) and I set them out on a plate. As long as I notice the squirrels eating the nuts etc. that I put out I continue to toss stuff, once they start to bury the treats, I figure they aren't too hungry and that's it for the day.
It won't take too long for your new friends to come right up to your door to retrieve their prize and even step in a bit if you allow it:D

want4rain
December 27th, 2007, 12:16 PM
if you can, set up corn on the cob stations. squirrels will take off with ANYTHING you put up. if they dont eat it, they will bury it. they are really good scavengers of yummies so they typically dont NEED food. feed things that take a while to take off with such as corn on the cob or you could rig up suit feeders just for them. by the time they are done trying to dig food out from the bars you can get a really cute eyeful. also, get crafty, try to keep it away from them. i PROMISE YOU they can get it... no matter where you put it, just garner some entertainment while you are watching. :)

-ashley

want4rain
December 27th, 2007, 12:18 PM
oh to actually address your question, i would probably rathr feed in the evenings so they still scavenge all day long. they wont WAIT for you to feed them, they will just finish filling up in the evening on whatever they couldnt find through out the day.

i would think 5 or 6 nuts per squirrel would make more than enough to supplement what they find all day long in even the leanest of times.

-ashley

Jim Hall
December 27th, 2007, 12:27 PM
do you live in the city ? put some seed in a feeder if you can you will get both squrrells and birds ALso I bet if there is cover you have a cat or two lurking around

marko
December 27th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Hey thanks for that info everyone! I will try some of these suggestions. :highfive:

and yes - we live in the city!

thx all!

marko

CyberKitten
December 27th, 2007, 12:39 PM
We have a feeder too - tho my sil has two feeders and she gets so many great animals. We leave out a handful of nuts a day and we can see them taking them and sometimes there is one who is extra greedy - it's so funny! Reminds me of that ad where the squirrel or chipmunk is using the post it notes because I am sure our yard is full of hidden nuts, lol

So, I'd say a couple handfuls a day - depends on how many you have You can tell by watching. And yes, they ARE cute!

bearlasmom
December 27th, 2007, 10:36 PM
just a thought
I started feeding squirrels about 4 yrs ago during the winter. I felt for the cute litte bushy tailed guys. I set up bowls with seed for the birds, nuts etc. i then set up a cor cob covered with seut nuts and seed. i also set up peices of fruit in the bowls etc

within no time the one or two that use to come once every few weeks, started coming everyday. Then one day i sat in my home office and i heard the pitter pat of little feet. When i checked out the attic i came almost eye to eye with a squirrel. He had decided that the facia under our eves trough was the perfect place to set up his home for his family. Now we have 3 families up there. (as the families expand, they stay together.

its illegal to poison them in Toronto not that i would anyway, they find more ways to avoid traps than you would believe. (live traps) i have tried putting wet cat litter up there when i know that the babies are too big to stay inside all day. rid it doesnt help either. our facia under our eves drough now has 5 sep nests and i dont know how many have figured out to get rid of the things i have been using to get rid of them. (rather cute but dont tell them that.) i have even taken care of some of their poor little guys when they have been orphaned. so moral of this story? think twice okay