Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Chow?

Bobsuruncle
December 27th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Hello

Hope everyone had a wonderful and safe Christmas!!!!!

Just wanted to ask a question about my dog's diet.

He's a 5 month old Cane Corso / Bull Mastiff. I've used puppy chow with all my dogs and would like to consider an alternative. The reason for this change is because I've had a few dogs develop skin and ear problems. This was constant with 3 dogs that we had. All have passed away but I do remember all the reactions these dogs developed.

With this new boy I would like to consider something different as this breed is much larger. I've read up on some of the forums and it's so confusing as to where to start. I just want to make sure he's getting all the nutritional values that's required and at the same time I don't want to feed him junk with lots of preservatives.

What I've read about Purina and Iam's kinda worries me!!!

Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Bobsuruncle

Winston
December 27th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Welcome! Does your pup have the beautiful blue eyes I have seen in some of the Cane Corso pics? They are beautiful dogs! Dont know much about the breed though! Anyway, I made the change approx 7 mo ago to Orijen...trying to get back to the basics in feeding more meat! My guy is over 100 lbs and he was on the Hills CD & GD for many years until I was educated in what he was eating...Since then all of the skin and ear problems he had are gone! I am not sure if it was the grain in the food he was eating or maybe even the gluten but by going to more meat, fruit, veggies and no grain it seems to have worked! He loves the food, it is high protein but he has no trouble with it...and as most doggie owners talk about his poops are perfect! I started off with their regular adult line but chhanged over to the fish formula as soon as the company started making it! and he would never eat any other brand of food that was fish? but this one he loves!
here is the link:

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/orijen/

Good Luck
Cindy

P.S Would love to see some pics!

Purpledomino
December 27th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Congrats on your new addition! You are correct to recognize that there is something better out there than what you have been feeding. Don't worry though...most of us have fed less than ideal foods until we actually educated ourselves as to what they put into the stuff. I second what Winston says about Orijen. My bullmastiff had recurring ear infections, until I made the switch to Orijen. I had been feeding Acana by Champion, and it has grain....so it may have been a grain sensitivity/allergy. Since all my four dogs have been on Orijen, they have flourished with healthy shiny coats and nice small stools. I find that it is very dense in calories in my experience....and have had to feed smaller amounts than the bag says though, or my dogs get a little chunky. Excellent choice in kibble if you go with it! :dog:

want4rain
December 27th, 2007, 12:23 PM
*sits down, clears throat* hi, my name is ashley. im here to confess that ive fed my dogs Iams, Science Diet and soemthing from a pink bag. :laughing: we now have Mister on a homemade diet. working out realyl great. it would be nice to supplement with Canidae or something similar but he has an allergy to soemthign, we are unsure right now what so home made it is!!!

-ashley

rainbow
December 28th, 2007, 12:56 AM
I agree with Winston and Purpledomino and would feed Orijen. I also feed this to both my dogs are they are doing great. There is also a formula for large breed puppies...

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/products/puppyLarge.aspx

breeze
December 28th, 2007, 07:39 AM
We found out the depending on the breed some do well with high protein while others could not handle it.. Bree my bernese could not handle the high peotein so we tried to find a lower protien base.. we found Timberwolf wild elk and salmon.. the protien levels are lower (I belive it's 26%, or is it 24%) and she is able to digest it better.. it is also gran free..

http://timberwolforganics.com/pet-foods

Byrd
December 29th, 2007, 09:28 AM
My trainer feeds her dogs Legacy (we will be switching to it shortly as well), she says that it is very, very close to Origen but at 3/4 of the price. I do believe that Jag, our resident Weimerainer is on it as well (correct me if I'm wrong).

Just be sure to stay away from anything you can buy in a grocery store, and anything you can get for $10 for a 40 lb bag.

mastifflover
December 29th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Do not use puppy food go for an all stage food. Your dog will grow slower and give his bones and joints the proper time to develop and this will hopefully help you to avoid hip and knee problems. Which is usually genetic but also happens when bones and joints do not develop and get dense enough for the weight of the dog. Please post pics of your cutie. Love those Mastiffs If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
[/COLOR]

Lukka'sma
December 29th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I'm gonna have to give Orijen a big thumbs up:thumbs up

Bobsuruncle
January 4th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Hello

Hey thanks for all the great feedback. I've noticed he's itching a lot and he's biting himself. Checked his coat and skin and he has a lot of dry skin. Time for a bath too!

I will be going to the store to look up these foods you have suggested as I'm getting a little tired with the ear problems too! I went through this with my last dog and no matter what the vet gave me, it wouldn't help!

Fantastic help and thank you very much.

Bobsuruncle

breeze
January 4th, 2008, 10:42 AM
just remember that, what kind of shampoo you use can also dry out the coat and skin...(maybe a very mositerizing or oatmeal might help with the itchies)
my rule of thumb is if you think you rinced all the soap out redo the rincing just to be sure....

hope you find the right food for your boy and his itchies and ears get better with the switch..:thumbs up:fingerscr

Bobsuruncle
January 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Great advice. I never even considered the oatmeal types of shampoo. Plus it's winter too and that can't help.

I always make sure he's completely rinsed at least 2 times as this can be the culprit if he's not rinsed really good. Sometimes 3 or 4 times as he likes it when I pour water in front of his mouth from 3 ft above. He bites it!

Thanks again Breeze for that great idea of the moisturizing oatmeal type shampoo.

Bobsuruncle:thumbs up

want4rain
January 4th, 2008, 11:12 AM
yep, for bathing id really only use water and MAYBE a touch of baby shampoo but you dont really need it. use cool water and not hot!! when you use soaps, you remove needed body oils which can cause all kinds of issues with sensitive dogs.

you can supplement his food with raw eggs once or twice a week. good omegas which help with dry skin. we had the same itchy issues with Mister and never could find a food (we tried several but not all the good ones by any means) that worked for him. in the end we decided homemade was easier on us and our pockets. quite convenient to ahve a garbage compactor living in the house with us. 2yo boys sure make a mess!!! there are several homemade feeders here if you are interested!

-ashley

breeze
January 4th, 2008, 11:19 AM
o by the way we need more pictures of your boy !!!!!!!!!I can't seem to remeber his name cause we do not see enough of him... thats my story and I'm sticking to it lol lol lol

I find baby shampoo drys out the fur and skin.. I use to use it but I will never go back it it..

rainbow
January 4th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Dry skin and itchies are common this time of year and I wouldn't bath him alot as it only dries the fur/skin out more. I think you will notice an improvement if you start feeding Orijen (large breed puppy) or one of the other grain free foods.

I'd also like to see more pics of Caesar....hopefully you will post some in the photo forum here. :D

dmc123
January 4th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I agree with Winston and Purpledomino and would feed Orijen. I also feed this to both my dogs are they are doing great. There is also a formula for large breed puppies...

ok, I don't feed my dogs the best food, we tried canidae - they hated it. Is Orijen only sold online? We live in a small town, no good places to buy "good" food without travelling.

Diane

TeriM
January 4th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Great brands to try include Orijen, Timberwolf Organics, Solid Gold, DVP, Innova, California Naturals and Canidae.

Canidae is the most reasonably priced of the "premium" foods.

If money is a real factor then you could also consider feeding the costco brand of dog food. It is not top of the line but much better than most and very well priced.

You can also supplement with things like eggs, salmon and healthy leftovers from your own food (meat, veggies etc).

dmc123
January 4th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks,

After reading the OP's issues, I am thinking about this again. My dogs have all been itchy lately, doing well otherwise. We are battling some flea issues with the Quads, so still trying to figure this out.

Last time I was concerned, I ordered Canidae and Felidae online, and none - I mean none of my animals would eat it. Even the outdoor adopted strays. Hmmm....may try some of the other choices given.

Thanks again,
Diane

Frenchy
January 4th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Dry skin and itchies are common this time of year and I wouldn't bath him alot as it only dries the fur/skin out more.

Ditto Rainbow. I only give my dogs a bath 2-3 times a year now. I find they look / feel better , they are not as itchy , I use dry shampoo to get the excess dirt off. It doesn't affect their skin like a bath does. :thumbs up

rainbow
January 4th, 2008, 11:23 PM
ok, I don't feed my dogs the best food, we tried canidae - they hated it. Is Orijen only sold online? We live in a small town, no good places to buy "good" food without travelling.

Diane

It seems that Orijen is only sold in Charlotte, NC unless their website hasn't been updated...

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/storeLocator/NorthCarolinastorelocator.aspx

These are the U.S. online stores...

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/storeLocator/OnlineStoreListing.aspx

Do you have a pet store where you live? If so, what brands are available there?

Goldens4Ever
January 4th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Great advice. I never even considered the oatmeal types of shampoo. Plus it's winter too and that can't help......moisturizing oatmeal type shampoo......

I disagree. Oatmeal is very drying.

The highest quality natural, hypoallergenic products available are Solid Gold's Super Sen Gelle Shampoo & Jojoba Oil Conditioner. There is nothing better. I sell these through my canine holistic nutrition clinic. It lasts a long time as well because it is so concentrated; you mix 1 oz. solution to 6 oz. water in an applicator bottle.

Again, there is nothing better. Jojoba Oil is the only oil known to penetrate all 3 layers of the skin. My client's dogs have experienced wonderful results with this product.

I also think the addition of Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil would be beneficial.

Goldens4Ever
January 4th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Dry skin and itchies are common this time of year and I wouldn't bath him alot as it only dries the fur/skin out more.....

I agree that this would happen with 99% of the shampoo products available, but if the right one is used, this is not an issue.

Using a high-quality shampoo with Jojoba Oil, such as Solid Gold's products, only make the skin/coat healthier the more you use them. I bathe Goldie with these products 1x/month & my clients have found that these products actually relieve the itchies because they are so therapeutic. I am a firm believe that dogs should be bathed every 4-8 weeks to cleanse off the dead skin cells. Going too long without a bath can cause the itchies as well - their skin needs to be cleansed regularly.

want4rain
January 5th, 2008, 08:33 AM
my mom swears by jojoba. she has been using it for years with her winter dry skin. :)

-ashley

amatazes
January 5th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I use science diet. In my experience it's the best. especially in it's specialty foods like puppy, senior and low fat. then again, I've never had a dog with an allergy.

Kristin7
January 5th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Diane - my animals didn't much like the Canidae or Felidae either. My dog is picky, though, but my cats also weren't so thrilled. Right now the cats are on Wellness Core kibble plus wet food (Wellness and Eagle Pack) and are happy with healthy coats. My dog has a nice shiny coat, he was on California Natural Lamb and Rice kibble and I recently switched to Wellness Salmon and Sweet Potato kibble supplemented with various wet foods. He is picky and seems to get bored with his food, so I switch him around now and then. He really loves this salmon oil supplement squirted on his food - you might try that for skin/coat problems.

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Grizzly-Salmon-Oil-for-Dogs/117001.aspx

Bobsuruncle
January 5th, 2008, 10:07 AM
o by the way we need more pictures of your boy !!!!!!!!!I can't seem to remeber his name cause we do not see enough of him... thats my story and I'm sticking to it lol lol lol

I find baby shampoo drys out the fur and skin.. I use to use it but I will never go back it it..

I wish I could supply more pictures but over the holidays my wife has misplaced or even worse lost out Canon camera!!!!!!!!!!:wall:

Guess what I want for Christmas next year if this camera doesn't show up??? I won't be waiting that long!!!!

Thank you for all the great information and choices. I will be going to Pet Mart to see if any of these brands are available here. I know Science Diet is but not sure about the others.

Thanks again for all your kind responses! Oh, before I forget, his name is Caesar, He's a Cane Corso/Bull Mastiff.

Bobsuruncle

Byrd
January 5th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I don't think PetsMart sells any of the top brands. You're better to try Global or PetValu or sometimes even a feed store.

Frenchy
January 5th, 2008, 12:47 PM
What you can also do is go on their website (Canidae ect ...) and use their store locator. Most of these brands are not sold in big animal food store chains.

Frenchy
January 5th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I use science diet. In my experience it's the best.

I suggest you take a look at our food forum. Although I would not put down people for feeding Science diet , at least learn about the ingredient before you think this is the best. It's mostly grains , and corn is the second or third ingredient , AND has by-product meat :yuck: so no , it's not the best of food , not at all !

breeze
January 5th, 2008, 03:41 PM
I wish I could supply more pictures but over the holidays my wife has misplaced or even worse lost out Canon camera!!!!!!!!!!:wall:
O No!!!! thats terrible, you have to find the camera!!!! we need pictures lol lol lol

Thank you for all the great information and choices. I will be going to Pet Mart to see if any of these brands are available here. I know Science Diet is but not sure about the others.

No Petsmart does not sell most of the "GoodFood" your best bet is to find a global, or a small dog food supplier..

Bobsuruncle

If you are noticing that he "Might" have allergies then I would stay away from grain...

rainbow
January 5th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatazes
I use science diet. In my experience it's the best.

I suggest you take a look at our food forum. Although I would not put down people for feeding Science diet , at least learn about the ingredient before you think this is the best. It's mostly grains , and corn is the second or third ingredient , AND has by-product meat so no , it's not the best of food , not at all !

I agree. Here's a list of ingredients to avoid....

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

And, how to identify better products....

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=betterproducts

rainbow
January 5th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I will be going to Pet Mart to see if any of these brands are available here. I know Science Diet is but not sure about the others.

I don't think PetsMart sells any of the top brands. You're better to try Global or PetValu or sometimes even a feed store.

I agree and I think that Caesar would do best on a grain-free brand like Orijen Puppy for Large Breeds...

rainbow
January 5th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Here is where Orijen is available in Mississauga...

Mississauga

Bark & Fitz

129 Lakeshore Road East
Mississauga, ON L5G 1E5
Phone: (905) 271-3892

Global Pet Foods
6590 Meadowvale Town Center
Mississauga, ON L5N 2R5
Phone: (905) 819-9255

Ryan's Pet Food
896 Burnhamthorpe Road W #3
Mississauga, ON L5C 2S3