Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kittens legs stick out to it's side

merrillj
December 26th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I have two almost three week old kittens, my cat being the mom. The one kitten is fine and very healthy and active. The other, the runt, is also healthy but it's back legs stick out like a little frog's leg, to the side and it kind of tucks it's front paws underneath it when it crawls. It does get around but not properly. It does not appear to be in any kind of discomfort and it can move all of it's legs so they aren't paralized but it kind of pulls itself along using the side of it's front paws and the little back legs move along to the side. I do little exercises to strengthen the muscles and at first it is very tight but she does loosen up as time cat goes on. I thought initially that it may be a temporary thing as it is much smaller and less developed than it's brother but now I think I will have to go to the vet with her. I was wondering if anyone had ever seen anything like this????:cat:

SARAH
December 26th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Sounds like some kind of ... if not paralysis, at least some motoring skills are missing. Could be the nerve sheathing that's defect, so that the signals from the brain don't get to the leg muscles.

Maybe a vet would be able to tell you.

bendyfoot
December 27th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I've heard of something similar in dogs called Swimming Puppy Syndrome ...this article says it also happens rarely in cats... here's a link:
http://publications.royalcanin.com/renvoie.asp?type=1&cid=124305&id=102462&com=2&animal=0&lang=2&session=2120576

That said, sometimes orthopedic issues turn up in pups/kittens that don't have a genetic origin, and are "flukes"...like my puppy's "club hand"...hers was not the typical kind.

CyberKitten
December 27th, 2007, 01:36 PM
This does happen in kittens and can be repaired surgically - you should consult a vet asap. The faster the surgery is done or a vet is involved, the better. The kitten may be able even to get better with physio but I do not know the extent of the situation so it's hard for anyone , even a vet I dare say, to give you precise advice online.

merrillj
December 27th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Thank you to everyone for the advice and links. My best bet sounds like a trip to the vet. I wasn't planning on keeping the little thing but if I invest any money into her I best keep her. She is adorable!

CyberKitten
December 27th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Awwwwwwww, good for you and her!!! Is she a her?

merrillj
December 28th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Yes, she is a female and has one of the cutest faces I've ever seen! Since my first post I have been working with her and I notice she is using her front paws to pull herself along almost in the correct way. I'm still working on her back legs with her but it's good to see some progress!

SARAH
December 28th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Awwwwwwww, good for you and her!!! Is she a her?

Is she a her ? Now, how would your teacher have graded a paper with a sentence like that one :laughing:
:sorry: :sorry: it was just turned so funny, no offence!!!