Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat's meow changed

Turtles_mom123
December 26th, 2007, 08:52 AM
on Christmas turtle who is about 1 and a half had a normal cat meow who is usually really talkative, especially in the morning when he wakes me up to pet him. But this morning he scared the crap out of me because when he woke me up to pet him he didn't have the same meow anymore, i was afraid he might have something in his throat, but i didn't feel anything. he has no runny nose, no cough, so wheezing, his just sounds like he doesn't want to meow unless he has to. It's raspy, and just doesn't sound like him. he actually sounds like a person who has a sore throat, or something to that extent. What could it be? :cat::pray:

SARAH
December 26th, 2007, 09:46 AM
A sore throat. Does he go outside? If so, he may have caught it from the damp and cold these past few days, from another animal, whatever. I'd take him to a vet if you can get one today, or at least tomorrow. It may be nothing, but you'd rather be safe than sorry, right?

CearaQC
December 26th, 2007, 10:35 AM
My Linx never meows, at least not in the traditional sense of me-ow. He does more of a short "ma" sound like he's leaving the T off the word "mat." When hungry, he turns all those "ma" into a cute little melody of all different notes and I call him my musical kitty.

If he's been sleeping for a long while and wants something, he will either open up to "ma" with a raspy voice, or none at all. A silent "ma." Linx has always been this way after I adopted him when he was about a year old.

It may be normal for your kitty, or maybe not. Hard to tell. If kitty still eats, drinks, goes potty and plays like normal I wouldn't worry much. But if it bothers you by all means pay a visit to the vet. :D

Update us and post pics!!

marko
December 26th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Ziglet's meow has changed this past year as well....he's 15. His meow is now a bit higher pitched and 'squeekier'.

We took him to the vet who said there was nothing wrong with Zig, and the vet said that it sometimes does happen...but you should probably consult your own vet just to be sure and safe.

Turtles_mom123
December 26th, 2007, 11:30 AM
no turtle is strictly an inside cat. he is playing normal with jasper our new little kitten i brought in a few weeks ago, but his meow is still very pitiful, other than that he seems fine. the pic on my profile is turtle.:lovestruck: he is my baby. i worry about him so easily because i raised him, his sister, and his brother from tiny babies, after their mother was hit by a car. So i bottle fed them and those 3 our of the 5 lived so i'm a little worry wort about them.:confused: thanks for the replies.

SARAH
December 26th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Cute cat!

He's probably ok, but just for your own peace of mind, have him checked out tomorrow if your vet can squeeze you in.

phoozles
December 27th, 2007, 01:28 PM
no turtle is strictly an inside cat. he is playing normal with jasper our new little kitten i brought in a few weeks ago, but his meow is still very pitiful, other than that he seems fine. the pic on my profile is turtle.:lovestruck: he is my baby. i worry about him so easily because i raised him, his sister, and his brother from tiny babies, after their mother was hit by a car. So i bottle fed them and those 3 our of the 5 lived so i'm a little worry wort about them.:confused: thanks for the replies.

You mention that you got a new kitten - did you rescue Jasper from somewhere? A couple of weeks after we got our new kitten Alley, my older guy Jake lost his voice too - raspy or completely silent. Turns out Alley brought in a bout of FHV which she handled a lot more than the bigger guy. That was a couple of months ago, and he still hasn't gotten his voice back completely. If they have FHV, it will clear on its own, but you might want to keep your eyes open for that..

Good luck!

laura2481
December 27th, 2007, 01:41 PM
My mum's cat Mau is normally very noisy but the other week he could hardly get a sound out, he was all squeeky for a few days but then his voice came back! we think he had a sore throat. my cat has been a bit under the weather for a few days and he was been very quiet, but he's better now and has started 'talking' to us again. i think it's just the equivalent of our sore throats but it's worth keeping an eye on in case it develops into something else!

Turtles_mom123
December 27th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I think i might need to take him to the vet. i called today and they told me to try hairball remedy, and i did. But they also said that if he started vomiting, or having diarrhea that i should call back. Turns out he has diarrhea now as well. I didn't rescue jasper he was one of my outside cats, but they wouldn't let him sleep or eat with them so my mom brought him inside. The vet said she thought he might just be trying to pass a hairball like i said but today he has no meow at all and he dry gags sometimes. but like i said the vet didn't seem terribly worried about it he is just my baby and I'm a worry wort.:cat:

Turtles_mom123
December 27th, 2007, 08:01 PM
what are the symptoms for FHV?

phoozles
December 31st, 2007, 02:34 PM
FHV is kind of like the common cold for cats. It varies per cat, but you might notice coughing, sneezing, and runny eyes. They tend to act sluggish, and may lose their appetite due to a lack of sense of smell.
My guy's symptoms were a loss of voice and coughing only when he purred. He's now got a very raspy version of his voice back and the coughing (or dry heaving with no hairball) is gone. He didn't sneeze, have runny eyes - but the kitten did. Different symptoms for different kitties.

FHV is extremely common in cats, and usually flares up in stressful situations. Turtle might have been stressed out by Jasper's appearance - or Jasper could have brought it in from outside.

If you do go to the vet, mention FHV as a possibility. I had one vet charge me over $1000 because she didn't know what was wrong - one trip to another vet and he was diagnosed with FHV immediately and the change was remarkable.

Good luck, and keep us up to date on Turtle!

Turtles_mom123
January 1st, 2008, 10:00 AM
He has his meow back now for the most part it is still a little raspy. I used the hairball remedy and he has had diarea for the past couple of days so we are trying to fix that, but my concern is he want open his second set of eye lids all the way most of the time, but sometimes when he looks at me they are 3 quaters of the way open, so i'm starting to wonder if i need to call the doctor tomorrow. I decided if he still was doing it I was going to call. Any suggestions as to why he wont open them all the way. he did before he got sick and they arnt red or swollen either.:cat:

sugarcatmom
January 1st, 2008, 04:23 PM
my concern is he want open his second set of eye lids all the way most of the time, but sometimes when he looks at me they are 3 quaters of the way open, so i'm starting to wonder if i need to call the doctor tomorrow. I decided if he still was doing it I was going to call. Any suggestions as to why he wont open them all the way. he did before he got sick and they arnt red or swollen either.:cat:

This is called the nictating membrane. Sometimes when it shows, it means that a cat is happy and content, but due to the fact that Turtle has diarrhea, it's more likely to indicate ill health in his case. I'd be taking him to the vet sooner rather than later.

Why do cats have three eyelids?

The third eyelid is actually a tiny triangle of pinkish or whitish tissue that is sometimes visible in the corner of the cat's eyes. It's called the haw, or nictating membrane. Humans have something like it - the small pink bump at the inner corner of the eyes. In the cat, the haw rises automatically and then moves sideways across the eye to protect or lubricate its sensitive surface. If the cat is ill, undernourished, or on the verge of catching a disease, the presence of the haw is a good indicator that the cat's health isn't up to par. The spontaneous movement occurs because pads of fat behind the eyeballs, which act as shock absorbers, start to shrink when the cat is in poor health. This is usually a signal to immediately take your cat to the vet.

Turtles_mom123
January 2nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
I took turtle to the vet today. They were afraid he had lukemia, but he tested negative thank god. He has laryngitis, pharyngitis, his noids are swollen and he has a throat infection. his eye were doing that because he is sick. When we got to the vet he had a 103' degree fever, so he also got a shot to bring that down. he is still have accidents though. (cant get to litter box quick enough.) he has med now though and a check up in 2 weeks

StumpsMom
January 3rd, 2008, 12:48 AM
Get better soon Turtle....:sick:

maggiemay
January 3rd, 2008, 12:52 AM
Sorry to hear about turtle getting sick ( he is one adorable kitty, i reeally liked his face markings!!) good thing you took him to the vet when you did. whew
hope to hear that he is feeling better soon!

did they say the kitten might have brought it in? or how he would have gotten so sick so fast? stress maybe from the new kitty??

Turtles_mom123
January 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I had to take turtle to the vet yesterday again. He had to stay over night. they found some bacteria in his feces and treated him for that because it was causing gas in his abdomen which was causing the diahrrea, but his fever has come town now and the gas is going down as well, so i can pick him up today at 3 or 4. I miss him soo much, and so does jasper.