- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Dog ate Xmas star and survived

December 26th, 2007, 06:58 AM

At Christmas time, we all eat things that we really, really shouldn't.

Charlie the Yorkshire terrier puppy is no exception, as his owner discovered.

Felicity Clifford found the little fellow gagging and struggling to breathe at her house in Plympton, Devon, recently.

Terrified, she took him to a PetAid hospital run by the charity PDSA, where a vet X-rayed him.

Lo and behold (just like in any good Christmas story) a star shone out and the truth was revealed - Charlie had eaten a decoration.

The five-month-old pet had apparently been pawing through the family's rubbish and found the star-shaped bauble too tempting to resist.

Vet Robert Newcombe, who saved Charlie the ordeal of surgery by removing the decoration with forceps, said he was shocked to see the outline of the star.

"The last thing I expected to see on the X-ray was a star shining back at me," he said.

"I've seen some odd things in my time as a vet but this is by far the strangest X-ray ever."

He added: "Charlie's a very lucky dog.

"The star could easily have caused him to choke."

The PDSA issued figures yesterday showing that pets are particularly prone to accidents during the festive period.

Last year it recorded 11,000 injuries during Christmas and New Year.

Veterinary nurse Paula Hollett said: "Christmas can be a very dangerous time of year for our pets.

"No matter how much we try to ensure that our homes are safe, accidents like Charlie's can happen. Look round your house room by room, identifying, removing or minimising any potential dangers."

December 26th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Now that is some Christmas Star :)

I tried to answer this post earlier, but the site froze (again) wouldn't allow "reply" or "new post" or anything else, so I had to simply drop out for a half hour.

Scary story, good thing the vet got the star out without operating. Poor puppy!