Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Coughing Fox Terrier

Bruce1945
December 25th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Hello, I'm a new member with a 7yr. old Fox Terrier, "Harry", my best companion...I had Harry neutered this Sept..have been to 3 different vet's trying to eradicate a cough he develped immediately after the procedure..He's been on several different antibiotics to no avail,is currently on Hycodan, and last visit the vet recommended a broncoscophy, and told me that I got "burned" at the place that did the procedure...X-rays, and bloodwork are normal, although there are eocinophils detected..this vet guesses that when they inserted the breathing tube, irritation/possible damage occured..I have a app't with the Vet who'll do the broncoscopy...I'll spend whatever it takes, but it is frustrating to go 4mo's without a definative diagnosis..was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience..thanks..

hazelrunpack
December 25th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I think the scope to look for damage is a good idea...but a couple of other things come to mind, too. One is kennel cough. There are some varieties are are more persistent than others. It might be a stubborn case. Another thing that comes to mind is heartworm. Has Harry been tested for it? The presence of other parasites can also raise eosinophil counts.

Four months is a frustratingly long time to go without a diagnosis! I hope this last vet can help you pin down a cause! :fingerscr

Bruce1945
December 26th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks for your feedback....none of the vets is looking at kennel cough, although a month ago Harry would cough up a milky substance at times..heart worm tests are negative...so again, we are back to possible trachea damage during the tubing...