Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

elderly cat failing

mindymo
December 25th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Hi animal lovers,
It is not a very Merry Christmas for me and my cat clem. Clem has IBS, and pancreatits.She just spent a week at the vet. When she got home she didn't eat and was lethargic.. { this is the third time at the vet for this problem...] I am giving her injections of Reglan and pepcid... and now a pain killer.She will not touch the I/D and I am feeding her through a syringe. I am hoping she rallies, but that seems more unlikely with each pasing day. She is 14. Any similar experiences?

MarySmith
December 25th, 2007, 10:28 AM
mindymo,

Sorry to hear that your senior kitty is not eating well. What brand of food were you feeding her? Was it dry or wet? There has been so many problems with commercial pet food since the recalls in March. Hope that your kitty feels better soon.

MarySmith

mindymo
December 25th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Hi Mary,
I dont believe it is a food recall issue.It is pancreatitis and IBS...I am trying to get her to eat vennison and peas that I got from the vet,along with I/D...another vet food. Unfortuantely she is not eatign anything ... except by syringe... and the syringe is only a small amount of food...

Winston
December 25th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Will she eat any boiled chicken chopped up, maybe even some chicken broth..just to keep her energy up. I dont know much about IBS but it sounds like she really needs to eat to keep her energy up.

Not a nice Holiday when your kitty is sick! Welcome to the forum ! would love to see some pics?

Also have you checked out the food forum there is some great info there!

Cindy

MarySmith
December 26th, 2007, 12:13 AM
What brand is the venison and peas that the vet gave you?

mindymo
December 26th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Royal Canin....

Cassiopeia
December 26th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Mindymo,

I'm sorry about Clem.

There is a very active forum on yahoo devoted to Feline IBD. This is a link. People are very knowledgeable and helpful there. Check your messages.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FelineIBD/