Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescue in Australia, too.

TibbieLover
December 25th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Hello, I just found & registered at your PetsCanada site. I'm in Brisbane in the state of Queensland, Australia. There's a busy network of dog & cat rescues in Australia, too.
My breed of interest is the Tibetan Spaniel, & I'm also part of a global network of people who own Tibbies (for short) as pets.
I was told about a Tibetan Spaniel in Canada. I went looking for a Canadian Pet Forum site & found Pets.ca, read the rules carefully & registered.
I've since emailed Marko, the Administrator.

It's great reading about people in Canada who are interested in all to do with rescue. We're certainly kept busy in Australia. Everything looks very similar.

We adopted a cat from a rescue here, some months back & she's wonderful.
She came from a University Adoption Program. The Vet School at the University of Queensland has done research into feline diabetes. They rescued 34 cats from a pound (that would otherwise be PTS) & used them to see how various diets affected them. The cats were not harmed in any way, were kept in special quarters with a playroom full of toys & lots of attention from volunteer visitors.
At the end of 12 months, the cats were adopted to carefully screened homes.
We were fortunate to adopt one, Sarah Jane. She is the smartest, most loveable cat ever.

Toonces
December 25th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Welcome to the forum, always nice to hear from ppl in rescue from around the world, would love to see a pic of your kitty hint hint nudge nudge:D

SARAH
December 25th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Welcome :) and enjoy Christmas on the beach - we are all knee-deep in snow over here (+/- knee-deep, depending on where we are)

hazelrunpack
December 25th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Hello, TibbieLover! Welcome to the board! :D

We definitely need pictures of Sarah Jane. And I love Tibetan Spaniels. :thumbs up

TibbieLover
December 25th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Thank you for your warm welcome.

Toonces, I'm not sure how to post a pic here. But Sarah Jane's pic is on the University of Queensland site, where she was adopted from their rescue program.
First pic on top row, the tabby-torty puss leaning against the book.

http://www.uq.edu.au/ccah/index.html?page=33408&pid=41544
When Sarah Jane came to us, the uni also gave us a bumper sticker which says, "My cat goes to the University of Queensland."

Sarah, you're right about the beach. We're in summer here & in the sub-tropics, too. I wish I could push some of the warmth over to you, in your knee-depth snow. It's so warm here that we go to the beach in winter, too.

hazelrunpack, I'm glad you know & love the Tibetan Spaniel breed. We own a golden Tibbie girl, named Angel.

I've emailed the Pets.ca Administrator to ask if there's a way, within this Forum's rules, that I can tell folk about the Tibetan Spaniel spotted for adoption from a Canadian shelter.

SARAH
December 25th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Nice looking cat :) and I liked the looks of that parrot too! Great coloring on it.

TibbieLover
December 25th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Sarah, that is an Australian native bird called a Rainbow Lorikeet. They fly into the trees in our garden & the next door garden, too, screeching as they have a great meal. We plant a lot of native Australian plants in our gardens to attract the native birds like Rainbow Lorikeets.

http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/finder/display.cfm?id=97

Our cat, Sarah Jane is an inside cat but she also has a large netted enclosure in the garden so she can be outdoors, but not able to hunt & kill the many lovely native birds that visit. A lot of people here have set-ups like that in their gardens so cats & native birds can both have a good life.

SARAH
December 26th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Here, the Lorikeets are caged and kept as pets. I'd only have one if I could have an entire room screened off so they could fly freely in there. Lorikeets eat nectar, right? Making them "messy" cage birds.

I've had budgies growing up, my favourite one being the one I had tame and outside of his cage. He was so sweet and cuddly :rip:

Always wanted a cockatoo though :D the ones with the yellow crest. Maybe, one day ... when we have no cats and dogs! I don't want drama.

TibbieLover
December 26th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Sarah, we have a bunch of Sulphur Crested Cocatoos which come flying in, screetching at top note, every afternoon. That can become a problem when they're kept in captivity around a house in an urban area. They drive the neighbours nuts!
Yes, the Rainbow Lorikeets eat nectar & the blossom & fruit from the native plants.
Budgies are cute, aren't they. Some people teach their budgies to talk brilliantly.

Toonces
December 26th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Sarah Jane is gorgeous thanks for posting the link

sherie
December 26th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Hi Tibbielover,welcome from a fellow Australian living in Ipswich.
Iam also a new member and enjoying this site and all the people on it.

SARAH
December 26th, 2007, 08:38 AM
LOL, what's with the Aussie invasion :laughing: ?

I'd have a couple of budgies if Lewis would let me, but he's against keeping birds caged and with two cats I wouldn't feel safe having them loose! Even the dogs would try to snap them so ... no cute budgies for me. Wish I could afford a trip to budgie-land and see them fly free in big flocks, somehow the animal shows (animal planet, national geographic) never show these cute birds, not enough blood and gore I suppose.

TibbieLover
December 26th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Hi, Sheri, it does look suspicious, doesn't it, with 2 Aussies turning up.
Especially as we just live down the road from you , in a north-western suburb of Brisbane.

Sarah, I hope you get to budgie-land one day. It's a joy to see all the beautiful native birds flying free. We're near bushland, creeks & mountains, so have lots of bird visitors. Which is why we have what's called a Catmax enclosure in the garden so our cat can enjoy the great outdoors, but the birds are safe.

We have friends in Sydney who own one of those huge South American birds.
The husband sits on the sofa watching TV with their cat on one side of him, the dog on the other, & this big bird sitting on his knee (he has to peer around it). They're all great pals.