Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mom's new doggy...

Tommysmom
December 24th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Well, my mom got a new dog! She was going to get a puppy out of the newspaper, until I sent her a ton of the info from here, LOL. She went to the pound and brought home Ebony:lovestruck:.

I haven't met her yet, but she sounds like a good dog so far - really needs some training though, if anybody knows any good trainers in London, Ontario?

What do you guys think she is? The vet's best guess is lab/husky, but really, I'm not sure about the husky... she sort of looks more lab/shepherd/pit type of thing to me. Not that it matters, but anybody have any different guesses?

Here are the two pictures she sent me:

badger
December 24th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Cute dog :thumbs up for persuading her to go to the shelter. I can see the lab but I have no idea what else, maybe there are three or four breeds in there.
I see she's already on the couch :laughing:

Tommysmom
December 24th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Cute dog :thumbs up for persuading her to go to the shelter. I can see the lab but I have no idea what else, maybe there are three or four breeds in there.
I see she's already on the couch :laughing:

:laughing::laughing: That's the daybed in the spare room... apparently she's taken that one over as her own personal bed already!! I just have to laugh, Mom just moved into a new house and got all new furniture... when I was a kid, WE weren't allowed on the good furniture, and now she's letting a dog on furniture that's not even a month old:laughing::laughing::laughing:.

JanM
December 24th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Lovely little dog - and good on you and your Mom for going to the shelter!
I see lab and border collie - the ears and head shape and tilt suggest border collie..

Frenchy
December 24th, 2007, 06:20 PM
- the ears and head shape and tilt suggest border collie..

I noticed the ears too , but I can pinpoint which breed ..... :shrug:

Tommysmom
December 24th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Oooooooo, border collie... that could definitely be there, eh? The white blaze on her chest and the ears certainly could be border collie for sure.

LOL, this is so much fun... playing guess the breed. I know we'll never know, but it's fun to tell her that it could be so many different breeds!

SARAH
December 24th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Yet, she has a little look of my old Zenta :rip: part husky part gordon setter (they said, I think more Irish setter seeing her coloring, but ...)

But I can second the Border Collie/ Chocolat Lab idea for sure.

Either way, she look slike a cross between cute and sassy :laughing:

t.pettet
December 24th, 2007, 09:30 PM
You and your mom are angel2:s for rescuing this dog from the shelter, she is really cute and intelligent looking.

hazelrunpack
December 24th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Whatever she is, she's a doll! :lovestruck: That's why she's allowed up on the daybed--she's just so darn cute! :D And extremely lucky that her :angel: found her in time for Christmas. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
December 25th, 2007, 02:30 AM
She's beautiful!. You may as wall call that "daybed" "Ebony's bed"

She looks awfully comfortable there!

Hogansma
December 25th, 2007, 02:31 PM
What a cutie and thanks to your Mom for going to the shelter! Love those ears and I think the mixes are so beautiful and unique. Glad she's home for Christmas.

chico2
December 25th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Kudos to you for leading your mom towards a shelter-dog:thumbs up
She's a sweety,apparently black dogs,like black cats are not easily adoptable,so I am really happy for Ebony!!
I see a cat-bed,how's Ebony with a cat:confused:

SARAH
December 25th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Can you understand that? It was the same for Misti, her tabby siblings all went to their new homes within weeks, Misti had to be 5 months old and have us find her to get out of the cage! And she's not even all black, she does have white on her, even on her face!

I prefer dark animals (that's why I have 3 light colored ones :laughing: ) because I'm so often in black or navy blue clothes, and that way the fur doesn't show!

chico2
December 26th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Sarah,I used to love black clothes,no more:laughing:now I only wear Earthy tones,olivegreen,beigy shades,brown etc..black seems to suck up hair in the house:laughing:
I found Chico all alone in a cage at a pet-shop and he was going to be there alone oiver a long weekend.
I would normally never buy a pet from a pet-shop.
However,I picked him up,his loud purr and cuddliness,just made it impossible to put him back in that lonely cage...I think black cats are beautiful,just as beautiful as any other cat.

rjesak
December 26th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Is Darling a breed because she is! She's just the cutest thing... I'm so happy she found a home with your mom!

StumpsMom
December 26th, 2007, 05:07 PM
A new puppy--so exciting and how wonderful that your mom rescued her! She's beautiful for sure and definately seems to feel comfortable (love her new bed BTW:thumbs up)

rainbow
December 26th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Ebony is a real cutie. :lovestruck: Thanks to you for convincing your mom to rescue. :thumbs up :angel: I agree with the lab/border collie ....lots of energy there. :D

Tommysmom
January 15th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Well, I've been down to visit Mom and yep- that dog is border collie for sure. She's got the border collie face (much more fine featured in person than in the pics) and that border collie STARE, lol. Looks like border collie/shepherd/lab or something, but definitely bc.

She is a DOLL! She's sweet, friendly, loving, patient... my nieces climbed all over her, no problem. She's gentle with Tommy, who's still scared of other dogs, and incredibly sweet with their 15 year old chihuahua Dizzy. I sat there and cleared eye boogies, played with her tail, checked her nails and toes - no reaction except to roll over for a belly rub. She needs some training, but that's it - she's got the best temperament I've ever seen. You can tell she's got a history, she's got some old scars and is a bit scared of the man who came to fix their windows, but she's such a loving dog that my mom and her hubby have just fallen head over heels for her already. In fact, she's so wonderful that we just had to invite them all up to our house for New Year's just so we could see her again, and Tommy just HAD to buy her a gift card for training classes so she could learn to be the polite lady she deserves to be:lovestruck:.

Here's the trio... Dizzy, the chihuahua... Tommy and Ebby (don't mind the pj's:laughing:)... and Ebby enjoying my couch - I tried to say that since she liked my couch so much I should get to keep her, but it didn't work:laughing:.

Rainy
January 15th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Ooooooh!This puppy is the best kinda breed.He's purebred super cute!:thumbs upYou can find out exactly what kind of breeds are mixed in your dog with a blood test.I'll check to see if I still have the link.For most it doesn't matter but sometimes behaviourally speaking it is good to know what breeds are in the mix if your seeing any causes for concern.
It is also costly this test I believe......

Frenchy
January 15th, 2008, 09:38 PM
and Tommy just HAD to buy her a gift card for training classes so she could learn to be the polite lady she deserves to be:lovestruck:.

That is so sweet of Tommy ;) Dizzy is too cute :p Sounds like your mom made a great choice by adopting Ebby !

hazelrunpack
January 15th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Ebony sounds like a lovely lady, even if rough around the edges! :lovestruck: She sure is looking at home already! She knows she's found her perfect place. :thumbs up

Tommy is such a good friend to help her out with the lessons like that. :dog:

Tommysmom
January 15th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Tommy is such a good friend to help her out with the lessons like that. :dog:

Shhhhhhhhhh... don't tell anybody... but I think Tommy might have a crush on her:o.

He's still scared of her, cuz he's a big wussy fraidy-cat around all doggies... but he actually BARKS at her, and growls, and kinda looks like he's going to fight - 'cept that ummm, there's a whole house he could run to, and he isn't running to his mommy and daddy like he normally would, instead he bounces up and down all around her looking all big macho JRT-like:laughing:. I was scared that his fear of others was maybe becoming fear-aggression, but he doesn't try to run away and he doesn't try to escape her - and all she does is bow down in front of him:laughing:. I'm not sure Tommy really understands doggy body language, but Ebby does and she doesn't exactly seem worried, she gets happy that he is paying attention to her. Actually, that's the most reaction we've had from Tommy around other dogs because normally he just shuts down/runs away, so I'm thinking Ebby might be a good dog to keep socializing him with since she's just so darn gentle with him:cloud9:.

hazelrunpack
January 15th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Evan, our second setter, was like that. He's the only dog I've ever had that stray cats would approach on a walk. They'd actually rub between his front legs! Used to confuse him to no end! :laughing: But they sensed his gentleness and would actually run out from a cozy hidey-hole to come say hi. :cat:

Ebby is definitely a winner! :thumbs up So I wonder how her first owners could possibly let her go! :confused: They must have been totally unappreciative of her special nature... :frustrated:

I'm so glad she found your mom! :highfive:

pbpatti
January 15th, 2008, 10:14 PM
is it the beginning of a very long love story????it is wonderful that she is pulling tommu out a bit sounds like he needs a good puppy around to help him be less afraid of other dogs. Kudos to you and you mom patti

14+kitties
January 15th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Ebby is a doll no matter what breed she is. :cloud9: I love black dogs. Can't figure out why others don't. Oh well, their loss, your moms' gain.

growler~GateKeeper
January 16th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Great that Ebby is helping Tommy overcome his fears :thumbs up

Perhaps Tommy might be on his way to getting ready for a JRT meet up w/WDs' Maggie :D

Love4himies
January 16th, 2008, 08:33 AM
The ears remind me of my co-workers huskey.