Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Maks and his tummy issues are back.

ancientgirl
December 24th, 2007, 10:55 AM
I called the vet this morning because I wanted to add Maks to the appointment I already had with my vet for Czarina, stray kitty. I had an appointment at 9:30 on Thursday, but they gave me the wrong doctor. I don't like the vet they had the appointment down with, so I had to change it to 3;15 that afternoon to have it with their usual vet.

I've been giving Maks mainly dry, but since I've been mixing the foods for the other three, I usually mix it in a plastic bowl. So when I feed them, I'll take the kibble I give Maks and let it soak up the gravy left. Well, my little guy threw up some of it a little while later. When I took him a couple of weeks ago, it was because he had diarrhea, but now he's throwing up instead. I want to make sure he doesn't have anything wrong with him.

I'm hoping he just has a sensitive stomach and that he'll grow out of it. Even if he doesn't and I have to feed him special food from now on, I just want to make sure whatever it is, it isn't some other condition that could be wrong with him. I'm not too worried, since he's acting his usual kitty way. He's playing around and jumping around and he does eat and drink water. I'm going to stop mixing his kibble with the left over gravy. Then have him checked to make sure nothing is wrong with him.

I feel so bad for him. He's had one tummy issue after another.

krdahmer
December 24th, 2007, 11:11 PM
poor guy... i hope he feels better soon! Those darn tummy issues,,, had a case of those myself today! Merry Christmas by the way!:grouphug::D

ancientgirl
December 25th, 2007, 01:25 AM
I know, I feel bad for the little guy. I decided to wait though. I have to take him and Kiska in next week for what I think will be their final boosters. I'll watch him for the next couple of weeks. He's only thrown up when I've mixed his kibble with the canned, so I'll stop doing that and see what happens. I don't want to put him through an examination this week, and then next week again.

I'm thinking though he's just one of those kitties that will, at least while he's young, have a sensitive tummy. I know Iams has a formula for that specific case, so I'll have a look and see what other brands have the same thing. He's otherwise acting like his old self.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas day. I can't sleep. It's 2:30 am and I've been up since 1:45. Bah, too much Christmas Eve tasties.

pacemaker
December 26th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Several weeks ago, my girl had a bad case of "jelly belly".
We cut the kibble out totally & made up a mixture of boiled rice & boiled chicken breast. Shredded the chicken and mixed it in the with rice.
Took her to the Vet, who thought it was a good idea, got the usual "Could be something she has eaten", etc, etc. (although she was not throwing up). She came good after about a week, and is back on her usual diet.
There is a lot of helpful advice on the net about this, although some come across a bit scary. make sure your vet, at least takes a "sample" to be tested (for parasites, infections, that sort of thing.) We all think that they can eat just about anything don't we? Sometimes, canned food (especially when young) can be a bit rich.

ancientgirl
December 26th, 2007, 05:52 AM
I haven't given him any actual canned food for a while. I just mix his kibble in with some of the left over juice.

The boiled rice and chicken idea is good. I'm going to get some brown rice at the grocery store later this afternoon. I've got some chicken. I'll give a bit of it to all of them, they may like the change.

chico2
December 26th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Ancientgirl,cats do chuck up their food occasionally,without there beeing anything wrong with them.
With my 3 it's usually Rocky,but if it happens often,of course it is warranted a vet-visit..
For some reason,at least with my cats,they seem more likely to throw up dry kibbles.
Are you sure Maks cannot eat canned,like the others??
Also,Iams is not a food I would buy,there are better foods out there.
Good luck with Czarina thursday,:fingerscrnothing is seriously wrong with her,you truly are a kitty-angel:angel2:

ancientgirl
December 26th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I've tried to give him canned fully and he gets diareah. I've started again mixing a little bit of the gravy left with his kibble. He hasn't barfed for a few days.

I'm not taking him in. I'm going to wait until I take them to their vaccinations. That'll give me a few days to see if its just a kitty thing. I've been giving him Wellness and Purina one for kittens. It has yogurt so I think that helps him.

Thank you for your well wishes. I really hope things work out. I'll certainly keep everyone posted.

Dracko
December 26th, 2007, 02:57 PM
When I adopted Ginkgo at 6 months she had diarrhea for months it seemed. Didn't matter what I fed her. I think some strays just have bad digestive systems that take a while to work out when we get them. But, I was lucky in that Ginkgo didn't step in it like Maks. :o

ancientgirl
December 26th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Yeah, his stepping in it wasn't good at all. And I know how bad having that can be, and I just don't want him to suffer through that.

He's doing well with the dry and with the gravy I'm giving him.

I'm going to make that suggested rice with chicken for them this evening. I got some brown rice and some chicken and I think I'll just make a nice meal of it for all of them.

krdahmer
December 27th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Oh and sometimes kittens will eat too fast and just regurgitate their food, forgot to mention that before. You can usually tell because you can still pick out the shapes of the kibbles.

Kristin7
December 27th, 2007, 02:32 PM
What Dracko says is true, I've had a couple cats that did outgrow (for the most part) their digestive issues. One of them I know had a bad case of worms as a young kitten. It took several years for him to stop getting the occasional case of gastritis. My other cat doesn't puke up her food anymore either and I couldn't feed her canned food for the first couple years. She is 4 now and holds everything down, thankfully. I am thinking of going raw but nervous that she would not be ok with that. Not sure what the problem was but I did suspect foods that had higher levels of fat triggered it. Maybe the kitten food is too rich?

ancientgirl
December 27th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I do notice he eats very fast. He's been okay for a few days. I haven't noticed any puke anywhere. I'm going to keep watch over him for the next week. I did give him some chicken with a little brown rice yesterday and he really liked it. That's something I can give all of them every once in a while.

krdahmer
December 27th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Ya regurgitating isn't something they do all the time, mine seem to do it when they are overly excited (like today when I came home after being at the inlaws a couple days- Palomine scarfed down all he could then puked it up whole... then went back and ate normal a few minutes later) or when they are upset/ feeling like someone else is hovering over the food. And the chicken and rice would be a great treat if they like it.:thumbs up

ancientgirl
December 28th, 2007, 02:10 AM
He seemed to really enjoy the chicken and rice the most out of all of them. I think that may become a once a week treat, at least for him.

And he does seem to gobble his food up, I've noticed that as of late too. I figure if it's something that happens only now and then, I probably just shouldn't worry about it. He's acting his rambunctious little self too, so that I know counts for something.

rainbow
December 28th, 2007, 02:27 AM
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Kittens that are little piggy gobblers quite often regurgitate their food. I'm sure he will outgrow it. :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
December 28th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Yes, those here with more experience have made me conclude that my little orange guy is just a little "piggy":laughing:

I've been watching him eat the last few days and he is the fastest eater of all of them. He gobbles up his food like its going to disappear.

I've been adding a little more canned to his dry, just so he gets the taste, but it doesn't upset his tummy, just in case.