Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

2 yr old golden needs help asap ! MTL

Frenchy
December 24th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I am in urgent need of a foster family or better yet , a new family for this dog. He only has until Friday :sad:.... he's a 2 yr old male golden , good with other dogs , used to live with a 3 yr old kid. Very playfull , miserable in his cage at the shelter where he will probably be put down on Friday. :sad: He's a bit possessive of his food. He is on the South Shore area.

If you can help , please pm me. Thanks.

SARAH
December 24th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Why would they put him down :yell: give him a chance poor thing!!! Oh what I would give to be able to help him :frustrated: :cry:

Frenchy
December 24th, 2007, 11:44 AM
It seems x-mas is not stopping people from dumping their dogs. Shelters are full and dogs have limited time. That is why rescues are always welcoming new foster families. No fosters homes , no way for us to help these dogs and some shelters just don't have a choice than to put them down after a while.

Most rescues have a lack of foster homes. I know in our rescue , it's always the same people who takes fosters one after another and I know how these people are devoted , but we do get tired sometimes , don't forget we all have full time jobs too. It would help if we could get more people to help. :sad:

brandynva
December 24th, 2007, 12:28 PM
:pray: Hoping he gets rescued, or fostered at the very least.

rainbow
December 24th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Only 2 yr. old. :sad: I will never understand how cruel some people are. :eek: :frustrated: :sad:

I hope he finds the loving home that he deserves. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

SARAH
December 24th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I just sent the links from this thread and Ben's to a trainer friend. They just lost their cat, he is married with two kids. Not living in the MTL area, but who knows right?

No idea if they would even want a dog, or one the size of a Golden, but I asked if maybe they would know of someone to save these two great doggie-boys!

This one most urgently, Ben is safe after all, even if he does need his own home soon.

:fingerscr for both !!

JanM
December 24th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Why, why, why does this happen at the other end of the country??????
That breaks my heart to hear how heartless some people are!

Frenchy
December 24th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I just sent the links from this thread and Ben's to a trainer friend.
Thank you Sarah , for spreading the word :thumbs up
Why, why, why does this happen at the other end of the country??????

But if you were here , you would own too many goldens by adopting all of my fosters :laughing:

This week is christmas and I'm hoping for some x-mas miracles. :fingerscr :goodvibes: there's another rescue that is looking to help this boy also , I'm pretty sure he will be alright. Many people are working for him.

JanM
December 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
"But if you were here , you would own too many goldens by adopting all of my fosters "

hmmm - good point but then, are there ever too many???? Take Hazelrunpack for instance... and I only have two right now :laughing:

Frenchy
December 24th, 2007, 07:24 PM
2 down , 6 to go JanM :D

Ford Girl
December 24th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I agree with JanM, Fenchy your posts make me wish we were closer so we could help, I feel helpless where I am. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help ANYTHING.

Good luck!

SARAH
December 24th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I wish we weren't limited to 2 dogs by law! Otherwise I know we would have Ben here forever, or this newbie, one of them for sure!!

Frenchy
December 27th, 2007, 12:21 PM
This is kind of a last call , I have been calling and e-mailing everyone for the past 2 days for this dog. My last plea will be for the shelter to give me one more week. :fingerscr right know , he only has 24 hours left.

If you know anyone that is looking to adopt a golden , he's only 2 yr old. :fingerscr

Frenchy
December 27th, 2007, 01:31 PM
We have one more week !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs up

pbpatti
December 27th, 2007, 05:27 PM
ONE MORE WEEK yippee, I sure hope that after all the Christmas rush etc is over that you will be successful in finding a safe home for the Golden.:fingerscr: patti

hazelrunpack
December 27th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Great news, French! :fingerscr that he finds a forever home soon!

Frenchy
December 27th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I have 2 people interested. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
December 27th, 2007, 10:48 PM
:fingerscr :goodvibes: :pray:

The Pack is praying one of them works out! And setter prayers are very potent! :dog:

Frenchy
December 28th, 2007, 12:53 PM
By spreading the word , I am now in contact with an Ontario rescue , they are able to take the dog tomorrow ! :fingerscr I still have to talk to the shelter so they surrender this golden to a rescue they don't know , I hope there won't be any problems. :goodvibes:

CyberKitten
December 28th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Good luck!! I hope he finds a home. I too do not understand ppl but we all know it happens, sigh! :sad::mad::frustrated:

chico2
December 28th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Frenchy,that would be great..I cannot see why the shelter in Montreal would have a problem with Ontario,seeing they would put him down.:sad:
On Animalplanet they almost always put dogs down that are food-agressive,but it is something that could be worked on I believe.
Good Luck to this poor boy and thank you for doing what you can to help.

I have a feeling were Sam not sick,you would have another Golden in the house:dog:

SARAH
December 28th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Let's hope he can go to Ontario, and better still, that this new rescue will be able to find him his forever home!

JanM
December 28th, 2007, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=chico2;521058] On Animalplanet they almost always put dogs down that are food-agressive,but it is something that could be worked on I believe.

No question - food aggression is something that can be corrected and reasonably quickly too! The dog behaviourist I have worked with specializes in rehabilitating aggressive dogs - I've seen the before and after and it's something to behold!

French, All the best to you and this 2-yr old!

rainbow
December 28th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I have 2 people interested. :fingerscr

By spreading the word , I am now in contact with an Ontario rescue , they are able to take the dog tomorrow ! :fingerscr I still have to talk to the shelter so they surrender this golden to a rescue they don't know , I hope there won't be any problems. :goodvibes:

Did either of the two people work out? :fingerscr

If not, I hope all goes well with the surrender to the Ontario rescue. :fingerscr

Frenchy
December 28th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Let's hope he can go to Ontario, and better still, that this new rescue will be able to find him his forever home!
Someone is suppose to go tomorrow , he might get adopted (none of my people though) or else , the rescue will pick him up later that same day :thumbs up

No question - food aggression is something that can be corrected and reasonably quickly too!

Yes , I have a feeling this is because of his past family , people who dump their dogs in high kill shelters , during the holidays , because they say they don't have time for him anymore , are not the best of pet owners , so that might explain the dog's behavior. But he is not food aggressive , just possessive.

So now I have to find a golden for one of the woman who was thinking about adopting him.

hazelrunpack
December 28th, 2007, 09:10 PM
So now I have to find a golden for one of the woman who was thinking about adopting him.

Ben? :D maybe?

Frenchy
December 28th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Ben? :D maybe?

She wants a younger one :sad:

hazelrunpack
December 28th, 2007, 11:02 PM

Well, that's a bummer... :o

Maybe one of Ceara's, then? :D

SARAH
December 28th, 2007, 11:09 PM

Ben doesn't look a day over 2 years old though, and 6 years old - if that's even correct - is not an age for a Golden, he's barely middle aged! Does that mean I'm "bonne pour la casse" :yell: :cry: ???

rainbow
December 29th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Sending lots of good luck to him. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Frenchy
December 29th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Ben doesn't look a day over 2 years old though, and 6 years old - if that's even correct - is not an age for a Golden, he's barely middle aged! Does that mean I'm "bonne pour la casse" :yell: :cry: ???

I wish someone could pinpoint Ben's age because I get a lot of conflicting opinions / guess from everyone. Shelter that picked him up said 8 to 10 yr old. My vet seems to agree , so I'm siding with them. My BIL was here for x-mas and kept telling me Ben must be much younger , but I think people just think that because of his puppy face , and his fluffy fur is growing back , he really looks like a puppy :shrug: but his body isn't.

SARAH
December 29th, 2007, 11:34 AM
As if that is sufficient reason to ignore him :sad: look at Sheba, she must be closer to 12 than 18, but does that make her a disposable? She's still a good dog, a guard dog, a kitten-keeper, a good friend to Dani, everyone loves her, she can still drive a human nuts (me, by being too clingy at times !!) and acts like a puppy when we're in the country.

Frenchy
December 29th, 2007, 11:43 AM
:offtopic: Ben actually had a lot of requests , some of them very good pet owners. But they weren't good homes for him. Either with young kids , or people living in split levels (too many stairs , hard wood slippery floors) the last one (about 2 weeks ago) would have been good for him , but it was in New Brunswick. :shrug:

And the sad thing about older rescues , some people see the descriptions , and decide against because they can't deal with the fact that these dogs don't have 10-15 years in front of them. Some people don't like to adopt when they know they can loose these dogs in 3-4 years. It's too heartbreaking for some. And the funny thing : I only had 2 fosters here longer than 3 months , Sam and now Ben. Both of them had to be shave , their pictures didn't show those fluffy goldens people are used too. :shrug:

But I do get the same reaction when people meet them : everybody loves Sam and my family fell in love with Ben at x-mas.

Chris21711
January 2nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
Did you manage to find a solution for this Golden?
Frenchy, I'm sorry to hear about Sam.

otter
January 2nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
I so wish I saw this thread before I headed back home from Toronto. I would have been there to pick him up in an instant!:yell:

What happened to him?

Frenchy
January 2nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
Did you manage to find a solution for this Golden?
Frenchy, I'm sorry to hear about Sam.

What happened to him?

Thanks Chris21711 .

One rescue was waiting for the shelter to call them back ,someone was going to visit the golden on Saturday , was very interested about adopting him. The shelter didn't call the rescue back so I'm sure the golden got adopted. I tried to call the shelter twice but they were close.

SARAH
January 2nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
:fingerscr those people took him ... and ... that they keep him :yell: