Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Recalled pet food ok to sell?

ahaigh9999
December 23rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
Hi: Has anyone heard of recalled pet food being allowed back on the shelves?

Several of my cats have not been themselves lately. I decided to revisit the pet food recall list. Found the food I have been feeding them for several weeks - purchased from Petsmart (Braintree, MA) - had new barcode labels over the original barcodes. When I removed the new stickers I found 100% of the purchased, relabeled food was from the recall list. The manager said some food had been tested and it was determined ok to sell. I have done extensive web searching and have not been able to find confirmation of any such baloney.

My young, formerly healthy cat was brought in to an emergency room yesterday. She will be hospitalized for a few days for hydration and further testing. She has been diagnosed with kidney failure - stage 3 of 4.

Masha
December 23rd, 2007, 08:57 PM
Something sounds fishy here.....:frustrated:
I hope you have proof of purchase and some of that food left (might have to be tested to see if it contains anything faul in it).

Hope your cat gets better quickly... :fingerscr

RUSTYcat
December 24th, 2007, 08:34 AM
This is UNBELIEVABLE....if it turns out to be that a toxic product has been put back on store shelves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you please post the name brand(s), variety(ies), and the lot number(s) information from the package/can.

People need to be alerted so that, at least, they can make a personal decision about whether or not they want to use this/these products.

2survivors
December 24th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Hello-this is my first post here-I found this site because this thread was mentioned where I blog --at Itchmoforum- I agree the name and dates of the food is very important to post---there was food being placed back on shelves with a tab over the old UPC on food that supposed to have dates NOT included in the recall and that was at Walmarts in the US-that food was Special Kitty. The reason they said a label was put over the UPC was the old UPC had a "block" on them at the register, however if this food may have made cats ill with renal failure I think that is a red flag that should be looked at..To err on the side of caution I think is wise! As my screen name says, I have 2 surviviors of the recall disaster.

MarySmith
December 24th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Hi,

This is my first post here. I'm a regular over at itchmo.com forums. Someone over there posted this thread link to our board, which is a very close knit group of pet owners since the recalls of '07.

We all need to know more information about the topic of this thread. Are the recalled foods really being restocked by this store? And what brand(s) of food is it? Is it wet-food cans, pouches, or dry? Here is our thread about the same topic:

http://itchmoforums.com/news-recall-related/recalled-food-back-on-petsmart-shelves-sick-cat-says-maybe-t3018.0.html;topicseen

If the recalled food is showing up on store shelves for resale, serious action needs to be taken to have this poison removed so that no more pets will suffer and die. I was lucky that none of the cats in our family were affected, but I still shed tears when reading about others who have lost their beloved furbabies or still have furbabies that remain sick from eating the recalled poison food.

MarySmith

RUSTYcat
December 24th, 2007, 12:13 PM
ahaigh9999 -

While we wait for you to post more specific information, I thought I would take a moment to suggest an excellent CRF information/resource website to you. Many veterinarians are not up-to-speed with CRF treatment, in fact many will recommend euthanasia when a cat is diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure. While there is no cure for CRF, there are many things that can be done to provide a good quality of life for a CRF kitty - most can be done by parents themselves.

The site is here http://felinecrf.org/

The woman who owns the site also sponsors an online support group where you could get practical informed avice from other CRF-experienced caregivers.

The support group is here http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-crf-info/
Meantime, we await your reply....

ahaigh9999
December 24th, 2007, 01:49 PM
As requested, I will provide more specific information over the next day or two. However, all relabeled recalled items were various pouches from NUTRO. Yes, I am holding on to them and even though I do not have all my receipts, I had used my PETSMART card - so thanks to bar coding, my purchases should be trackable.

The vet called the manufacturer to inquire whether any food had been considered suitable for relabeling/selling. Nope! The vet is waiting for a call back with more specifics.

I have contacted the FDA, 2 area newspapers, Petsmart Headquarters, and posted on 2 bulletin boards. After the holidays, I expect more action. Thank you all for your responses. Helps me believe this issue is not going to die quietly. Josephine thanks you too.

SARAH
December 24th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Hm, signed up for that forum too, I'll check it out ;)

Pezza
December 25th, 2007, 05:21 AM
I do hope and pray your kitty pulls through... if it is indeed the Nutro that sickened her, then I think Nutro has a lot to answer for... it's criminal to re-label recalled food and for the life of me, I can't understand the justification for doing such a heinous act! Thank you for taking the time to give all of us a "heads up" despite the fact that you must be beside yourself wit worry over your poor kitty. Please give us an update on her condition. Poor little one.

chico2
December 25th, 2007, 08:48 AM
OMG,I hope your cat survives :fingerscr
This is criminal..
I would not buy anything that was at one time poisoned,even though it might now be deemed safe,I just do not trust anymore.

SARAH
December 25th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Hm, signed up for that forum too, I'll check it out ;)

Never got a confirmation e-mail, despite several attempts, so :censored: it.

Merry Christmas to all, and let's make sure to just stay away from the brands of pet food that were pulled, regardless if they were reinstated or not. This proves - to me - that they can't be trusted, seems like bad business ethics someplace in the distribution chain.

marko
December 26th, 2007, 02:23 PM
This situation gets everyone's tempers boiling for sure, but until ahaigh9999 provides more definitive information let's please not jump to conclusions.

I sure hope your kitty gets better ahaigh9999 :pray::fingerscr

Sincerely,

Marko

RUSTYcat
December 26th, 2007, 03:50 PM
It's very concerning to hear reports like this.

When this thread temporarily "disappeared", some of us at Itchmo were doing a little "detective work".

ahaigh9999 happened to mention in his second post that he had also posted on 2 bulletin boards. We may have found one of them here http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/Stocks_%28A_to_Z%29/Stocks_P/threadview?m=te&bn=14032&tid=65980&mid=-1&tof=1&rt=2&frt=2&off=1

For anyone using a Nutro product, the only "new" information appearing on that board post is: "(the) food products were from several different pouch (flavors) from NUTRO / NUTRO GOURMET"

MarySmith
December 26th, 2007, 07:13 PM
SARAH,

The site was experiencing a 'glitch'. No need to 'censor'.

ahaigh9999
January 3rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
I apologize for delay. Between holidays & caring for Josephine - have been quite busy.

After EXTENSIVE time on the phone with Menu Foods and the FDA - what we have been told is:
* no tainted food was sold
* pre-printed packages with that barcode had been used and new labels were put over original barcode
* the FDA said this is a frowned upon practice - however - Petsmart/Menu (manufacturer) has not done anything "illegal"

We have requested documentation from Menu - signed by a corporate official - stating the above. (Yeah, right - like we'll really receive despite being told ok.)

We have been advised to keep some of the relabeled food "just in case".

I still have not heard from Petsmart Corporate Office. We have not received any further reply from Menu.

This issue is not dead by any means. I am presuming the high muckies have all been off enjoying their bonuses - earned at the expense of POOR customer relations in trying to save money.

Josephine is home. She does have kidney disease - which at this time is managable. Her quality of life appears to be mostly back to normal.

Whether or not Josephine's kidney failure is a result of selling relabled/tainted food, Menu/Petsmart can offer no acceptable excuse for the trauma their saving a few bucks has caused. The more I google & find articles about Petsmart (selling rabid kittens, now a bacterial disease humans can contract from birds which have since been quarantined) - really makes me think twice about shopping at Petsmart.

And the real kicker in all of this - the only area location I can find to buy the (kidney disease) diet Josephine will be on for life is from Petsmart!!!! Yes, I will purchase elsewhere online.

clm
January 3rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
I apologize for delay. Between holidays & caring for Josephine - have been quite busy.

The more I google & find articles about Petsmart (selling rabid kittens, now a bacterial disease humans can contract from birds which have since been quarantined) - really makes me think twice about shopping at Petsmart.

And the real kicker in all of this - the only area location I can find to buy the (kidney disease) diet Josephine will be on for life is from Petsmart!!!! Yes, I will purchase elsewhere online.

I find it hard to believe that Petsmart would be the only place you could buy food for a cat with kidney disease. I would be doing a lot of research on the types of food and which are best for the condition. There may even be info on good foods here in the food forum.

Cindy

ahaigh9999
January 3rd, 2008, 12:48 PM
I apologize for offending anyone, however, her uncensored comment was not appropriate either.

I have done extensive research RE: kidney disease diet. A prescription is required. This is not a simple over-the-counter diet which now has to followed.

clm
January 3rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
I didn't realize you can buy prescription food at Petsmart....I don't think you can here in Canada anyway. (that way the vet's here get to make the money carrying the prescription stuff).
I would still check into the different food forums and see what other people with cats with the same condition have done. You may not need a prescription diet, just need to know what the diet should and should not have for a cat with that condition.
Just a thought.

Cindy

ahaigh9999
January 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
Yes - Food by prescription is a new one for me too. In the interim I am searching for low protein, low phosphorase diets. Am willing to do cooking for her - just haven't found appropriate recipes - and will keep searching. Once recipe suggested an enormous amount of bacon fat!!!

If I was short with you, I apologize. I am most appreciative of the responses received and getting the word out about the unexcusable selling tactics.

rainbow
January 3rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
ahaigh9999, this thread has a lot of excellent information on kidney disease....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45017&highlight=crf+kidney+disease

ahaigh9999
January 4th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Thank you. I will look review shortly.