Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat is drooling excessively. What's wrong?

laura2481
December 23rd, 2007, 06:45 PM
Since about 10am this morning (it is now 11.30pm) my cat has been drooling excessively. he seems ok apart from this (purring, eating biscuits, sleeping right now!) There are no new plants, foods or products in the house and he hasn't done anything out of the ordinary so what could be wrong? should it stop by itself and when should i consider taking him to the vet? (he's my first cat!) Thanks

StumpsMom
December 23rd, 2007, 06:58 PM
You might consider taking him to the vet....if his behaviors are all good, like he's toileting ok, eating, drinking, then maybe he has a tooth infection? My mom's himi had a drooling thing once that was actually an absessed tooth.

nikki

Dracko
December 24th, 2007, 01:29 AM
I agree that the cat should visit a vet but I have to add when one of my cats was drooling excessively it was due to a high temperature. He had a fever after developing an upper respiratory infection from the 2 kittens I had adopted. Once the fever broke, the drooling went away.

rainbow
December 24th, 2007, 03:41 AM
It could be a lot of things and I would take him to the vet asap. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
December 24th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Could be toxins, tooth infection, sore throat, etc. and so he really should go to the vet immediately. Good luck and keep us posted.

laura2481
December 27th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Harold is much much better now. no drooling or anything. but he's still getting a trip to the vet in the new year for a once over. Whether he likes it or not...ha ha ha
:-)

Love4himies
December 27th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Glad to hear Harold is doing better. Were you able to determine any reason for the drooling??