Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another year of unwanted intruders!!!

krdahmer
December 23rd, 2007, 06:33 PM
:yell:I would have taken pics, but I was too busy gagging. Last year I found fleas on Palomine, and Merry Christmas to me again this year, we stocked up on cat litter, had it sitting by the door near where I was napping on the couch... only to awaken to hubby exclaiming 'holy crap what is this... there are worms crawling all over the walls'. Well that was the end of my nap. :mad::yuck:

Apparently one of the ready to use boxes we had gotten to give away at xmas for people to try our wonderful litter, was crawling with weevil larvae (or at least I hope weevils, if it was maggots I will throw up!:yuck:)... and they had ventured out all around our front door and living room wall and ceiling!!! Thank goodness the store was still open and I just got Chase to put it all back in the trunk and returned every last grain of it, and God love him, my darling husband had them all sucked up and the vacuum bag thrown out when I got back!

I don't know what it is about critters like that, I know they won't hurt us, but they make my skin crawl so bad I feel physically ill. :sick: The girls at the store were great even got it out of my trunk for me, and refunded with no question. I don't blame the store it's just something that happens with stored wheat (according to ex-farmer hubby). I guess the boxes I bought had been there a long time, and they are gonna send them all back to the company. I even brought them 2 of the buggers in a ziploc bag so that they could send those too.

I'm gonna go get ours at our regular store tomorrow though, at least I know they have a big turn around on it there and it isn't sitting too long.

Now if I could just stop the itching and crawly skin now....:rolleyes:

StumpsMom
December 23rd, 2007, 06:36 PM
:sorry: I don't even know what I would do if that happened to me....yuck! Congrats on keeping your stomach contents down! Ha!

nikki

hazelrunpack
December 23rd, 2007, 08:36 PM
:eeew: Nothing like a little excitement around the holidays, eh? :rolleyes:

One year when we were kids, my brother and I decided to collect acorns for the squirrels that winter--we put them in paper milk cartons and stored them in the guest bedroom closet. :o My aunt was supposed to come to visit for Thanksgiving that year. When mom went up to clean the guest bedroom and opened the closet she found that there had been a mass hatchout of acorn worms :eek: Pretty much about like you described. :yuck:

We were, thankfully, at school when she found them. :o

Happy Thanksgiving, Mom! :laughing:

SARAH
December 23rd, 2007, 08:53 PM
:laughing: poor mom :laughing: bet she wasn't laughing then!

Longblades
December 23rd, 2007, 08:59 PM
Oh yuck. I never buy bulk food rice because of the same thing. If a delivery man had not come to the door and stalled me in my rice making one day I would not have noticed the little devils crawling around in the pot. As it was, I put the rice in, the doorbell rang before I could add the water and turn the heat on and when I went back to the pot, there they were. Extra protein and no doubt perfectly harmless, cooked or raw, but no thanks.

Frenchy
December 23rd, 2007, 09:16 PM
Hummm , maggots can't come from the litter , I think there must had been a dead animal in the bag .... no ?

Sorry krdahmer , for making it worst :laughing:

SARAH
December 23rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
I always get magots in the trash can in the summer. At least it's outside :yuck: and the birds have a feast on the lid when the :yuck:y things come crawling up!

want4rain
December 23rd, 2007, 09:37 PM
and here i am upset about the LADYBUG infestations we get here. they might stink but at least they are just LADYBUGS!! millions crawling all over the walls, windows ceiling.... ew.

-ash

krdahmer
December 24th, 2007, 12:02 AM
No no they, well as far as I could tell, I've gone to war with maggots a few times now, they were NOT maggots, I looked it up and Chase said they are probably weevil larvae... the little bugs that eat stored wheat. If it was maggots, we would have had to throw out that whole part of the house!!!:eek::rolleyes::laughing:

Funny story actually on bugs... not very Christmassy, but my fellow bug haters might get a chuckle. One afternoon I went out to find my outdoor garbage bin crawling with maggots, in it and all over the outside, one of the retard other tenants in the triplex had dumped some fast food in it and not put the lid back on properly!:frustrated:... well needless to say I did quite the yick yick yick dance and then decided on my plan of attack....

well 20 minutes or so later, my neighbour drove in to find me covered head to toe in garbage bags (I made a sort of suit, top & skirt), rubber gloves, bags over my shoes, a hat and glasses. I was weilding a pair of tongs and a bottle of lysol. (the neighbour was laughing uncontrolably... ya yuckin it up the big jerk... she's probably the one that started it!)

Once I had the bag in a new bag and sealed up I took it out to the curb... in full garbage bag garb mind you, then went to town at the side of the house rinsing and rerinsing the bin... I can imagine quite a few drivers that day had a good laugh at my expense... but I managed to not actually touch any with my skin!!:thumbs up To this day Chase still laughs at that one.

luckypenny
December 24th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Any chance any photos were taken that you'd like to share :D ?

TeriM
December 24th, 2007, 02:08 AM

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

rainbow
December 24th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Okay, I really hate to gross you guys out, so don't read any further if maggots really upset you. :o

Okay, I warned you :D ......

Maggots are used for fishing bait and can be bought at most gas stations around here. :D They are in little plastic containers packed in sawdust and........

if you are still not grossed out.......

hubby keeps the little plastic containers in our fridge. :D

TeriM
December 24th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Ewww, I sure hope you make sure the lights are on when you are looking for something in the fridge. You'd really hate to grab the wrong container :D.

Note to self ... if ever get to visit Rainbow, don't offer to help get something from the fridge :laughing:.

rainbow
December 24th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Ewww, I sure hope you make sure the lights are on when you are looking for something in the fridge. You'd really hate to grab the wrong container :D.

:laughing: My lights or the fridge lights? :D

TeriM
December 24th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Probably both would be a good idea :thumbs up :laughing:.

mafiaprincess
December 24th, 2007, 03:12 AM
When mom went up to clean the guest bedroom and opened the closet she found that there had been a mass hatchout of acorn worms :eek: Pretty much about like you described. :yuck:

We were, thankfully, at school when she found them. :o

I think I was in grade 1. Mom said no pets. There were these pretty things crawling all over our trees. So I started collecting them. They sure were tent caterpillars...

I brought multiple buckets of them up to my room. Made a few little habitats for them, under plastic teacups and stuff.. and I didn't fully put the lid on the ones in my closet.. My mom found a few creeping out on their own.. And she FREAKED.. Pretty sure she cleaned up the mess though, and I was told no more animals in the house without permission.. Still didn't get me a pet till I brought home Cider though. You'd think getting me a pet would have been easier than possible heart attacks due to what I might bring in ;)

rainbow
December 24th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Probably both would be a good idea :thumbs up :laughing:.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So, I've been here too long and it's that obvious. :laughing: :laughing:

SolaMio
December 24th, 2007, 08:36 AM
and here i am upset about the LADYBUG infestations we get here. they might stink but at least they are just LADYBUGS!! millions crawling all over the walls, windows ceiling.... ew.

-ash

So true, we had the little critters at my in-laws place, they have kind of a farm house in the country, and my MIL was VACUUMING them up, there were so many. I always thought they were cute, but not when they infest your home :yuck:

Do they smell? I never noticed :laughing: But I was grossed out when I opened my suitcase after our trip and, yep, clothes covered in ladybugs! :wall:

krdahmer
December 24th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Oh they smell for sure... two Octobers ago I decided to head out to the beach to read, and in southern ontario that summer they had bred and released millions of the ladybugs to help with some other sort of infestation (or so I was told?). Well I get to the beach and there is a strip of them a few feet wide at the waters edge... all dead or dying:yuck:... talk about stinky. I still tried to do my reading and enjoy the waves (even shared my lunch with a very polite seagull) but the ones that weren't dead yet were further back from the water and they were those orange ones that nip. I'm stubborn and stayed about an hour, and was so disappointed.

SARAH
December 24th, 2007, 09:32 AM

-ash

I know, 2-6 ladybugs at a time is ok, they are cute and keep rosebushes free of insects, but when you get masses fo them, even ladybugs are yucky! :yuck:

Okay, I really hate to gross you guys out, so don't read any further if maggots really upset you. :o

Okay, I warned you :D ......

Maggots are used for fishing bait and can be bought at most gas stations around here. :D They are in little plastic containers packed in sawdust and........

if you are still not grossed out.......

hubby keeps the little plastic containers in our fridge. :D

So? My uncle and grandfather kept eartworms for fishing, yes, in the fridge too. Mostly though, they'd go to the compost heap and get fresh ones before going to get the river or lake trout. Yummy (the fish that is, not the worms :laughing: )

ancientgirl
December 24th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Yuck! I just changed my litter this morning too. I think I'd puke if I saw that. I hate bugs!

Kristin7
December 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM
ancientgirl, was that Ssweat scoop?? I hope not as that is the brand I use. Sounds like part of a horror movie, what you described! :yuck::eek:

want4rain
December 24th, 2007, 07:43 PM
black worms... right in the front where company can see them when they grab a beer! i have a few fish who ONLY eat live food so black worms as their main diet and then brine shrimp as the occasional treat. i had fruit flies in the kitchen that i would leave slightly rotting fruit out for. also for fish food. tiny moths... tinier bugs in the summer time.... oh yeah yummy!!! i think im the only person who actually LIKED her fruit flies!! also mosquito larva in a jar outside. i woudlnt add to the flying population if i emptied it every 8 days but could still get larva between the 5rd and 8th day.

-ashley

ancientgirl
December 24th, 2007, 07:58 PM
ancientgirl, was that Ssweat scoop?? I hope not as that is the brand I use. Sounds like part of a horror movie, what you described! :yuck::eek:

Yeah, I think that's the same kind she uses. I usually get mine at the pet store, so hopefully that means its not sitting around for a long time.

MarySmith
December 24th, 2007, 08:21 PM
The smelly 'LadyBugs' you have infesting your homes in great numbers are probably not the true ladybugs at all, but are invaders to this country. They are called Asian Beetles and they bite too!

MarySmith

coppperbelle
December 24th, 2007, 08:48 PM

-ash
We get those too. Actually they are not even ladybugs but Japanese beetles of some sort. They smell and leave their droppings all over the windows./

coppperbelle
December 24th, 2007, 08:49 PM

I;m not looking

coppperbelle
December 24th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I too have a thing for worms. They scare the heck out of me. The other thing that really grosses me out is mice. On Friday we got to the cottage and the first thing I did was check the traps. I found that one of the traps had been tripped but no mouse. Hmmm, so I investigate further and found that another trap that is always beside the fridge is missing. Now I am wondering if Mighty Mouse is in my house because I can't find the trap anywhere. As I am looking under a table I found what I hoped was a dead mouse curled up but no trap. Turns out he was dead. I begged my husband to stop what he was doing outside to dispose of the little sucker for me. Once that was done I continued searching and found another tripped trap. Now I am thinking this guy is smart. He has tripped at least two traps and one is still missing. I finally found the missing trap behind the firewood in the living room. He must have gotten part of himself caught in the trap and dragged it about 50 feet from one end of the house to the other.

SARAH
December 24th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I don't mind mice, nor the tiny "pipistrelle" bats that have come inside on two occasions. However ... arachnides!! (spiders) Those I absolutely hate! I don't even care what size they are. If they have 8 legs, I scream bloody murder! :yell: total panic!

krdahmer
December 25th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Ya it was the swheat scoop... in a ready to use box.

Mamakicia
December 25th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Oh yuck. I never buy bulk food rice because of the same thing.

Not just in bulk rice... I bought a bag of brown basmati once, and put some of it in a glass drawer in my kitchen shelving unit. A few months later, during an unusual Vancouver heat wave, flies (or some other disgusting bug) hatched out of it and were flying around in the rice. :yuck: The problem was that I had to open the drawer in order to throw out the stuff. Like other disgusted women, I freaked out when my husband got home, so he felt sorry for me and cleaned it up for me :laughing: I know when to play the helpless female card! :angel:

chico2
December 25th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Dahmer,that sounds like a horrormovie:yell:
I don't really mind anything else,be it spiders,mice or whatever,but Maggots get my skin crawling....or anything like Maggots..
I had little bugs in a bag of flour once,did not notice before I rolled out some dough:yuck:
Maggots and The House Centepede,totally changes my personality:laughing:

want4rain
December 25th, 2007, 08:16 PM
guess i could have included a pic of my fridge worms-
http://www.aquanourriplus.com/boutique/images/blackworm-clump.jpg

-ash

chico2
December 26th, 2007, 08:38 AM
OMG:yuck::yuck::yuck:

rjesak
December 26th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Yipes! I just switched to Swheat Scoop... I don't know if I can handle that!

krdahmer
December 26th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I don`t blame the litter, I blame the store for not storing it properly... and for storing it far too long. The bags we bought at the same time were fine, it was just in one of the boxes. Still not a nice xmas surprise though!:yuck: