Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

We got a chewer and a shredder...

rhynes
December 23rd, 2007, 11:59 AM
It's been almost 5 month since little Tia died and I still choke back tears when I think about her. God she's missed :( I found the old threads on here and couldn't finish reading them :(

Well a few months ago we had a bichon dropped in our laps, just couldn't say no. But this one is a chewer, anything he can get his teeth into. He loves toilet paper and toilet paper rolls :( Just loves shredding newspaper. He wound up at the vet last week after sniffing out a swiss dark chocolate bar, ate half of it and started vomiting. The vet forced him to vomit some more, loaded him with charcoal and sent him home. He's fine again but it still didn't deter him.

A question about bones, he loves them and keeps him busy for quite a while. Is there a safe bone to give? Raw or cooked? He's a fussy one, won't take any rawhide at all, there has to be filling like marrow before he'll chew on it. Toys are out, won't touch them.

Thanks.

SARAH
December 23rd, 2007, 12:03 PM
LOL, give him the biggest marrow bone he can wrap his mouth around, and make sure it's filled with marrow of course. Beef is good, and veal is better. Hopefully, by giving him that whenever you catch him chewing something forbidden, he'll end up getting the message.

Oh, by the way ... PICS PLEASE !!!!

ancientgirl
December 23rd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Oh yes pictures.

I have read within these threads and on other sites, that raw bones are better, since they can't splinter. Now I know that's the case for cats, but I'm guessing it would be the same for dogs.

You should also get him one of those rawhide bones too. I know dogs love those.

rhynes
December 23rd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Dressed for halloween - non toxic and water wash. Looks so happy eh?? :D
http://members.shaw.ca/wpemail/halloween.jpg

Playing with the neighbors dog, he's in heaven:
http://members.shaw.ca/wpemail/before.jpg

Aftermath of the bath:
http://members.shaw.ca/wpemail/after.jpg

First christmas
http://members.shaw.ca/wpemail/sohappy.jpg

He's got a really cute face, very hyper but such a little dork LOL

ancientgirl
December 23rd, 2007, 03:38 PM
He's a sweetheart. What's his name?

SARAH
December 23rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
He's a sweetheart. What's his name?

Hey, that's right, we don't have his name :eek: such a cutie though :D

rhynes
December 23rd, 2007, 04:02 PM
His name was nova, just didn't suit him at all. Changed it to Rufus.

This is home number 5 in his short life, we got him at 9 months, but he's changed hands due to lack of time for him, allergies etc. It's taken him a while to settle in and realize this home is permanent now.

StumpsMom
December 23rd, 2007, 05:28 PM
What about a bully stick? I like them because I don't have to worry about bone splinters, and it's not rawhide so no risk of swelling in the tummy....Stump loves them!

nikki

rhynes
December 23rd, 2007, 06:21 PM
He's very fussy over what he'll chew on, have bought many things like the bully sticks and all sorts of chew toys. He's not big on rawhide at all.

He loves treats of any kinds but I don't want to give him too many.

BusterBoo
December 23rd, 2007, 06:38 PM
I don't like giving my Buster any rawhide, so I end up buying beef soup bones and boiling them. I scoop out all the marrow from the bone once it is cooked (i find it greasy and :yuck: ) and then Buster will chew on the bones for days (and weeks!)

hazelrunpack
December 23rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
He's a real doll! You're right--Rufus is so much better than Nova! :thumbs up I love the mud shot! :laughing: Reminds me of spring! :D

I don't have any advice on how to keep his chewing urge satisfied, but I sure did enjoy looking at his pictures! Thanks!

Frenchy
December 23rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
I don't have any advice but just wanted to say I love the mud shot too :p

rhynes
December 23rd, 2007, 07:49 PM
That mud shot is my favorite too. That was taken on our first day of snow, was cold and wet but he didn't care. He was out with the neighbors (just beautiful btw) black lab, best of friends they are.

want4rain
December 23rd, 2007, 08:47 PM
Mister is soooooooo bad about shredding and chewing BUT!! he doesnt eat it.... thakfully!!!

try frozen raw turkey wings (its a great meal too!) and subtract a feeding for it. pigs ears are also good. you can feed raw chicken or turkey necks for chewing (again, subtract a meal). beef rib bones with the meat on, raw. do you kennel?? if you dont currently, when feeding raw in the house, kenneling is always.... easier. :laughing:

we didnt switch Misters diet because of his chewing habits but it helped some. he is a rather large dog and in the summer time we can put out a whole frozen chicken(5lbs=2meals for his weight) and let him go to town for over an hour eating.

you SHOULD be able to feed cooked beef ribs but not softer bones like chicken or turkey.

we also make frozen treats of 2 eggs shell on but broken, heaping scoop of peanut butter, a raw chicken liver or two and random 1/2 cup veggies and fruits along with a cup of water. mix well, freeze.

-ashley

rhynes
December 24th, 2007, 12:47 AM
I like those ideas... So it is definitely ok to feed raw meats to the dog eh? Gotta question it cause i've never done it. If anything, i've cooked it to medium well sans butter or spices and fed it to the dog. I've looked at big meaty beef ribs and wondered if they were ok for him. I'm sure he'd love them. Went looking for them tonite and couldn't find any. Going to be interesting to see how much blood he gets on him ;) he's all white.

I'll have to try him on a turkey wing, slip it in while the girlfriend isn't looking. Should the skin be left on or removed along with any fat??? Yes, he's great with the kennel thankfully, it's the only thing the poor dog was trained for. He wasn't toilet trained at all :frustrated: but didn't take long to do so. Still has the occasional accident but very seldom.

rainbow
December 24th, 2007, 02:12 AM
I don't feed raw but I would take the skin off the turkey wing before feeding. Also, the best beef rec bone to feed is a knuckle bone. And, all bones should be fed supervised.

Longblades
December 24th, 2007, 08:34 AM
NO! NO! NO!

Don't cook the bones. NO!

http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/bones.html

http://www.petcaretips.net/eating_dog_bones.html

You will find many, many web sites from reputable authorities advising to NOT feed cooked bones. Seems cooking makes them more likely to splinter. Do not take my word for it, check it out yourself. Take what you read on chat boards like this with a grain of salt. Much information is bonafide and very good but you need to check it out yourself.

There is debate on the feeding of raw bones as well and the first link above gives some good arguments against it.

want4rain
December 24th, 2007, 09:31 AM
one would think the whole 'raw bones' debate would be put to rest since tons of folks feed raw bones and their dogs are not only alive but thriving.

DO NOT COOK BONES!!! even big rec bones can chip and splinter!!!

you should leave the fat on any of the meats you feed but try to keep the fat to under 25% of what he eats if this is just for recreational chewing. if its part of his DIET (ie no 'perfectly balanced' meals) then make sure fat is in a 'whole prey' model. such as wings have more fat to bone to meat ratio but if put with the whole bird its just fine. it balances out (over time) the lack of fat in the breast. also, if im not mistaken cooked fat sticks some but uncooked fat/skin is quite easily converted into energy.

bottom line, dont fret over what you feed him. Mister literally eats the same stuff we do but more meat and less 'other'. its worked wonders for straightening up our diet!!! "Mister doesnt need all that fat, salt or sugar!!" or "we cant feed that to the dog!" as a matter of fact, the last few months (yeah this all is a work in progress!!) has been a full 3% of his total weight in raw meat and THEN we add in a meal of 'left overs' on top of that and he STILL hasnt gotten his adult lab neck. he is working on it but its still pretty thin. :) we have just wanted to see what changing the portions would do. more energy? chunkier? *shrugs*

-ashley

bendyfoot
December 24th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I've given my dogs raw soup bones before, but in the future I'll be scooping out the marrow (at least most of it) before I give them another...we had a serious case of double-dog-diarrhea that lasted 3 days after they had those bones...the fatty marrow was a bit much for them! OTherwise, yeah, leave them raw, they're tasty! :-)