Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poll - Can the animals read our minds?

TeriM
December 22nd, 2007, 11:34 PM
So I am absolutely positive that Lucy can read my mind. I can be downstairs in our house and think to myself that I need to do something like cut her nails, clean her ears etc. and almost instantly I will hear her upstairs climbing under the bed (her getaway spot!). I can also be sitting on the couch and think well it is time to go for a walk, or go out somewhere and before I know it she comes hopping down the stairs wagging her tail or if she is in the room then she almost always wakes up :shrug:.

I don't notice it as much with Riley although he is very good at reading body language. Maybe it is just something that develops over time?

So, what does everyone else think?

Masha
December 23rd, 2007, 12:29 AM
I dont think that they can read our minds. I think they can sense the energy that we are giving off. When you are thinking about something like clipping her nails you anticipate resistence and they sense that tense energy, when u anticipate going for a walk you have a different energy about you and they can sense that. Just my :2cents:

TeriM
December 23rd, 2007, 12:31 AM
But from another room in the house? Even on a different floor of the house?

hazelrunpack
December 23rd, 2007, 12:49 AM
I think some of it is that they have us well-trained--they're making little subliminal "I want a walk" movements that we don't consciously notice but that cause us to start thinking about taking a walk. :D This way, we can take the credit for the idea. (They'd rather have the walk--they don't care who gets the credit for the idea. :laughing:)

Some of it is radar. They're very sensitive to nail-clipping and ear-cleaning vibes. :dog: Typically, when they feel them they start the subliminal "I want a walk" movements...if done in a timely manner, we forget about the nails or ears cuz we're out taking them for a walk (all the while thinking the walk was our idea, of course). It's only when they're sleeping so soundly that they miss the nail-clipping and ear-cleaning vibes that they can't get us out walking in time and they have to hide. :D

Hey, that's hazel's story and she's stickin' to it! :thumbs up Now if you'll excuse me, I have to walk a dog or two... :laughing:

SARAH
December 23rd, 2007, 08:20 AM
They can too read our minds!

How would a dog know that someone they love is leaving their appartment in town, 10 minutes' walk away, to come visit? Sure I knew when they were due to come, but I didn't know the exact minute they were leaving their home.

Neither did I know when my ex was leaving the city he was driving home from, yet the dog knew it almost to the second (watch syncronizing wasn't total, so it was probably to the second!)

Spoutnik II was always on the door step the exact day we were coming home from vacation. The neighbor was feeding and cuddling him while we were away, and he'd be over at their house the entire time. The day we were coming home, he sat on the front steps waiting!

Maybe he caught that from the neighbors, but they were working and left their house at 6 am ...

I'm sure some of our pets do read our minds, they understand the slightest little things, good and bad. Not all though, some are really "thick" and don't even understand spoken words :D

krdahmer
December 23rd, 2007, 10:11 AM
They are like our mothers... they just always know.... always, don't question it.http://bestsmileys.com/magic/1.gif

14+kitties
December 23rd, 2007, 10:23 AM
I am with the "Yep, they dang sure can read our mind" group. My 13 yr old toy has this uncanny ability to know when I am thinking it is time to groom her. She hates the clippers! She goes to the other end of the couch or will go to one of the boys (who she normally won't go near) and climb up on their knee. She knows......yes, she knows............:D

Byrd
December 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM
Yup, they sure can! Animals are highly psychic. I even took an Animal Communication course at a local 'curio' shop. It taught us how to telepathically speak with animals.

However, this is likely just the Wiccan of the group talking and you all likely think I'm nuts. :shrug:

SARAH
December 23rd, 2007, 01:08 PM
I think, quite frankly, that a lot of non-pets.ca-people would think every last one on this forum is 110% certifiable!

At least, I hope so :laughing: :laughing:

JanM
December 23rd, 2007, 05:45 PM
I voted that - yes, they can read our minds but I believe they don't read our minds as such but read our energy - which is what telepathic communication is and animals have it! We humans have mostly lost the natural ability - some use it more than others - like Animal Communciators.

Last summer I was in Edmonton for a week - the dogs were boarded out and a friend came to feed and visit with Shadow the cat. She couldn't understand why, on the day I was due back, Shadow wouldn't come near her - he knew I was on my way..

ancientgirl
December 23rd, 2007, 05:54 PM
I don't think they can read our minds, but I think they are quite emphatic. When I'm having an off day, or just not happy they know it.

They know when we are planning something, that's for sure. They watch us and they know our patterns. They know when we are getting stuff ready for them to clip their nails, to give them medicine.

I give Oksana Laxatone for her hairballs. When she sees me get that tube and look at her, she bolts!

StumpsMom
December 23rd, 2007, 10:20 PM
Stump can read my mind if there's food involved....anything else...nada:)

nikki

brandynva
December 24th, 2007, 12:15 AM
I think it's an energy thing too. Roscoe is so in tune with me he's like an extension. But I have noticed that when I'm anxious or stressed he is on high alert and barks or growls at everything that moves. But when I'm relaxed and down he is too. I can also "read" him now too. I can tell by the looks he gives me what it is that he needs. I guess that just comes with spending time with them. Anyway, that is my :2cents:. I didn't vote because I felt like my answer wasn't on the poll, but if I had to vote I'd go for yes. hehe