Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Possible to become infected with FIV from cat?

cuda
December 22nd, 2007, 06:16 PM
http://apps.rgp.ufl.edu/otl/viewTechInfo.cfm?case=10545

In vitro infections of human cells with FIV have previously been reported. However, in vitro infection generally produced extremely low levels of FIV, and what little did result was usually ephemeral or defective. Our discovery is the first to demonstrate the in vivo FIV infection of humans and the expression of FIV proteins in humans. The revelation that humans can indeed become infected with FIV signals a possible turning point in the fight against the AIDS virus, allowing researchers the opportunity to develop more effective vaccines and to develop improved diagnostic tools.

Can anyone tell me what this might mean? Every other site that has mentioned FIV says it is a species specific disease that only affects cats. I don't understand how FIV can infect humans when there has never been a documented case and all other sites point to FIV as specific to only cats. This is somewhat alarming because I have a cat that goes outdoors. I am concerned I can get infected if I am bit by my cat because of what this article says. Science savvy people please offer input!

bendyfoot
December 22nd, 2007, 08:30 PM
My paraphrasing is in bold.

In vitro infections of human cells with FIV have previously been reported. Human cells grown in test tubes/petri dishes have been infected with FIV in laboratory tests. However, in vitro infection generally produced extremely low levels of FIV, and what little did result was usually ephemeral or defective. FI virus generally didn't "take" when it infected human cells in test tubes. Our discovery is the first to demonstrate the in vivo FIV infection of humans and the expression of FIV proteins in humans. The author's experiments were the first ones to show that cells of living humans can be infected with FIV The revelation that humans can indeed become infected with FIV signals a possible turning point in the fight against the AIDS virus, allowing researchers the opportunity to develop more effective vaccines and to develop improved diagnostic tools. I'm assuming here that they're pointing out the similarity between HIV and FIV, and since FIV is well known, the scientists are hopeful that they can use FIV as a model for developing tools to fight or study HIV.

What does this mean in terms of you and your outdoor cat? I have no idea. But there have been no documented cases of a human being infected by an FIV +ve cat. And since human cells directly infected in lab tests with FIV don't seem to suffer any ill effects according to the blurb you provided, I wouldn't be worried. Note that this paragraph doesn't say that the human in vivo cells did not "suffer" or get sick. It also doesn't say anywhere in the link what kind of conditions, pre-treatment, or other variables were present when this infection happened.

Personally (I'm no doctor here), I wouldn't be worried. There have been thousands of people in daily contact with thousands of FIV positive cats, and no one has ever gotten sick.

kiara
December 23rd, 2007, 11:10 AM
Absolutely not possible. FIV the F stands for feline. HIV the H stands for human. This is a cat only disease and can only be transfered from cat to cat through a bite. Actually the biggest likelihood of this disease exists in feral colonies. Because of living a stressful life outside and having to fend for themselves. Also they never get vaccinated. Veterinary scientists have developed (or are developing) a vaccine to prevent cats from getting this disease. Perhaps one day the same type of vaccine could be developed for humans. Please don't believe everything you read on the internet, some of these articles are posted to scare people and create a panic.

SARAH
December 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
Agreed. You get HIV from other humans, cats get FIV from other cats, but there is not inter-species cross there.

bendyfoot
December 24th, 2007, 10:40 AM
In fairness to the OP, the source he/she quoted was a reputable one that I wouldn't dismiss quickly. However, I was unable to find an article in a peer-reviewed journal that discussed the case (at least online). I'm tempted to contact the author for more information.

cuda
December 24th, 2007, 12:44 PM
In fairness to the OP, the source he/she quoted was a reputable one that I wouldn't dismiss quickly. However, I was unable to find an article in a peer-reviewed journal that discussed the case (at least online). I'm tempted to contact the author for more information.

I think that would be a good idea. I am highly confused by what they mean by infection when every other source claims this is not possible and there are no documented cases of a human getting sick from FIV. Maybe it shows up in our system but is dormant and does not attack us?

badger
December 24th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I think if there is a risk, it is so low that it would be comparable to driving on the freeway. So put it out of your mind. The best thing you can do is keep him inside, at the very least at night when there are more cats around and a greater likelihood that he'll get into a fight. That's the greatest risk for FIV right there.
So buy him some toys and make him stay in after dark.

cuda
December 29th, 2007, 01:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqZUAYGL49o

I found this video, which ties into the subject. It sounds like she says it went away at the end of the video, correct me if I am wrong.

hyllberg
January 4th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I find this "thread" interesting but scary. On 1/2/08, my family and I adopted a 5 month old, precious, and extremely loving orange tabby cat...and he was born with FIV. He has been tested twice: right after birth (July, 07) and on 12/15/07...and both tests came back positive.

Your first thought is probably: why did they adopt a young male cat (kitten, really) who is FIV positive? Well, to be honest, we didn't know anything about FIV except humans can't get it, and they "can" live as long as "healthy" cats, especially if they are indoor cats and don't have contact with other animals (both of which apply to my house...we have no other animals and Duke is an indoor kitty.) Duke's mommy had FIV; but his brother was FIV negative. I have read that positive results in kittens might not mean he has the actual virus.

I took Duke to the vet today (1/4/08,) and he said we will test Duke again in July, 2008. The vet said Duke could live up to 15 years old, but might not...(that narrows Duke's life expectancy down, doesn't it?)

My heart aches when I think about the "what ifs" the future holds. What if Duke gets a cold, and due to his FIV, he can't beat the infection? I guess what I am requesting from all of YOU is more information on this virus. I can't find much on the web that is recent...only articles from 1995-2002 usually.

My wife, two boys (ages 10 and 8), and I decided tonight during dinner time that we were going to keep Duke regardless of his condition and regardless that he probably will not live as long as other cats. We figure if he doesn't last as long as we'd like, at least he'd have a GREAT short life with us. However, as I sit here alone typing this, my heart hurts with the thought of losing Duke sooner than later. We are already attached to the dumb thing! :) (Especially ME!) I swear on everything Holy: Duke is the most loving cat!!! He is ALWAYS in the same room as us, follows us wherever we go, and has his "motor" on 80% of the time! He is unbelievable.

So, any input, advice, thoughts, "words of wisdom," would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, Happy New Year too!

badger
January 5th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Well, I for one don't see any problem with a FIV-pos cat, although many do, and bless you for taking on the responsibility. I wouldn't assume anything at this point, that he will be sick more often or be carried away by a simple cold, because you have no way of knowing what the prognosis is, especially considering the testing ambiguities you mentioned. Providing good nutrition, keeping him inside unless on a leash and having him checked by a vet once or twice a year should be sufficient.

You may want to do some research on supplements to boost his immune system, maybe consult a homeopathic vet; generally it's so many weeks on and then so many weeks off, so you don't put him into overdrive. If he gets a cold, I would not necessarily go straight to antibiotics, but be very watchful for signs of a secondary infection, which would definitely need to be treated. Finally, make sure his teeth are in good shape, since many infections start in the mouth.

I would also not go overboard with yearly vaccinations. Here is an excerpt from a recent document that someone posted. You could discuss it with your vet, in view of your cat's status.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
VACCINATION NEWS FLASH

I would like to make you aware that all 27 veterinary schools in North America are in the process of changing their protocols for vaccinating dogs and cats. Some of this information will present an ethical & economic challenge to vets, and there will be sceptics.

Some organizations have come up with a political compromise suggesting vaccinations every 3 years to appease those who fear loss of income vs. those concerned about potential side effects. Politics, traditions, or the doctor's economic well being should not be a factor in medical decision.

NEW PRINCIPLES OF IMMUNOLOGY

"Dogs and cats immune systems mature fully at 6 months. If a modified live virus vaccine is given after 6 months of age, it produces an immunity which is good for the life of the pet (ie: canine distemper, parvo, feline distemper). If another MLV vaccine is given a year later, the antibodies from the first vaccine neutralize the antigens of the second vaccine and there is little or no effect. The titer is not "boosted" nor are more memory cells induced." Not only are annual boosters for parvo and distemper unnecessary, they subject the pet to potential risks of allergic reactions and immune-mediated hemolytic anemia. "There is no scientific documentation to back up label claims for annual administration of MLV vaccines." Puppies receive antibodies through their mother’s milk. This natural protection can last 8-14 weeks.

Puppies & kittens should NOT be vaccinated at LESS than 8 weeks. Maternal immunity will neutralize the vaccine and little protection (0-38%) will be produced. Vaccination at 6 weeks will, however, delay the timing of the first highly effective vaccine. Vaccinations given 2 weeks apart suppress rather than stimulate the immune system. A series of vaccinations is given starting at 8 weeks and given 3-4 weeks apart up to 16 weeks of age. Another vaccination given sometime after 6 months of age (usually at 1 year 4 mo) will provide lifetime immunity.

NEW RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CATS

Feline vaccine related Fibrosarcoma is a type of terminal cancer related in inflammation caused by rabies & leukemia vaccines. This cancer is thought to affect 1 in 10,000 cats vaccinated. Vaccines with aluminum adjuvant, an ingredient included to stimulate the immune system, have been implicated as a higher risk. We now recommend a non-adjuvanted rabies vaccine for cats. Testing by Dr. Macy, Colorado State, has shown this vaccine to have the lowest tissue reaction and although there is no guarantee that a vaccine induced sarcoma will not develop, the risk will be much lower than with other vaccines.

Program injectable 6 mo flea prevention for cats has been shown to be very tissue reactive & therefore has the potential of inducing an injection site fiborsarcoma. If your cats develops a lump at the site of a vaccination, we recommend that it be removed ASAP, within 3-12 weeks.

Feline Leukemia Virus Vaccine
This virus is the leading viral killer of cats. The individuals most at risk of infection are young outdoor cats, indoor/outdoor cats and cats exposed to such individuals. Indoor only cats with no exposure to potentially infected cats are unlikely to become infected. All cats should be tested prior to vaccination. Cats over one year of age are naturally immune to Fel.V whether they are vaccinated or not, so annual vaccination of adult cats is NOT necessary. The incubation period of Feline leukemia can be over 3 years, so if your cat is in the incubation state of the disease prior to vaccination, the vaccine will not prevent the disease.

Feline Panleukopenia Virus Vaccine.
Also called feline distemper is a highly contagious and deadly viral disease of kittens. It's extremely hardy and is resistant to extremes in temperature and to most available disinfectants. Although an effective treatment protocol is available, it is expensive to treat because of the serious nature of the disease and the continued presence of virus in the environment, vaccination is highly recommended for all kittens. Cats vaccinated at 6 month or older with either killed or MLV vaccine will produce an immunity good for life. Adult cats do NOT need this vaccine.

Feline Calicivirus/Herpesvirus Vaccine.
Responsible for 80-90% of infectious feline upper respiratory tract diseases. The currently available injectable vaccines will minimize the severity of upper respiratory infections, although none will prevent disease in all situations.

Intranasal vaccines are more effective at preventing the disease entirely. Don't worry about normal sneezing for a couple of days. Because intranasal vaccines produce an immunity of shorter durations, annual vaccination is recommended.

VACCINES NOT RECOMMENDED

Chlamydia or pneumonitis.
The vaccine produces on a short (2 month) duration of immunity and accounts for less than 5% of upper respiratory infections in cats. The risks outweigh the benefits.

Feline Infectious Peritonitis.
A controversial vaccine. Most kittens that contract FIP become infected during the first 3 months of life. The vaccine is labeled for use at 16 weeks. All 27 vet schools do not recommend the vaccine.

Bordetella
A new vaccine for feline bordetella has been introduced. Dr. Wolfe of Texas A&M says that bordetella is a normal flora and does not cause disease in adult cats. Dr. Lappin of Colorado State says that a review of the Colorado State medical records reveals not one case diagnosed in 10 years.

NEW DEVELOPMENTS
Giardia is the most common intestinal parasite of humans in North America, 30% or more of all dogs & cats are infected with giardia. It has now been demonstrated that humans can transmit giardia to dogs & cats & vice versa.

VACCINES BADLY NEEDED
New vaccines in development include:
Feline Immunodeficiency Virus and cat scratch fever vaccine for cats and Ehrlichia [one of the other tick diseases, much worse than Lymes] for dogs.

THE VIEW FROM THE TRENCHES; BUSINESS ASPECTS

Most vets recommend annual boosters and most kennel operators require them. For years the pricing structure of vets has misled clients into thinking that the inherent value of an annual office visit was in the "shots" they failed to emphasize the importance of a physical exam for early detection of treatable diseases. It is my hope that you will continue to require rabies & Kennel cough and emphasize the importance of a recent vet exam. I also hope you will accept the new protocols and honor these pets as currently vaccinated. Those in the boarding business who will honor the new vaccine protocols can gain new customers who were turned away from vet owned boarding facilities reluctant to change.

CONCLUSION
Dogs & cats no longer need to be vaccinated against distemper, parvo, & feline leukemia every year. Once the initial series of puppy or kitten vaccinations and first annual vaccinations are completed, immunity from MLV vaccines persists for life. It has been shown that cats over 1 year of age are immune to Feline Leukemia whether they have been vaccinated or not. Imagine the money you will save, not to mention less risks from side effects. PCR rabies vaccine, because it is not adjuvanted, will mean less risk of mediated hemolytic anemia and allergic reactions are reduced by less frequent use of vaccines as well as by avoiding unnecessary vaccines such as K-9 Corona virus and chlamydia for cats, as well as ineffective vaccines such as Leptospirosis and FIP. Intranasal vaccine for Rhiotracheitis and Calici virus, two upper respiratory viruses of cats provide more complete protection than injectable vaccines with less risk of serious reactions.

The AAHA and all 27 veterinary schools of North America are our biggest endorsement for these new protocols.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We would love to see a picture of your new boy. He's a lucky cat.

hyllberg
January 5th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks so much Badger! I'll print it out and take it with me to the next Vet appointment. I'd post a picture of him, but I don't know how! :(