Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scars and Hair Regrowth

rainbow
December 22nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
As some of you know, Chase had the original incision from his TPLO surgery re-opened twice more due to complications. I am curious to know whether or not the hair will regrow over the scar to cover it completely. Or will the hair follicles have been damaged because the scar was re-opened so many times?

Anyone have experience with this?

SARAH
December 22nd, 2007, 05:09 PM
I don't think you will have new hair growth on the scar itself, but depending on how wide the scar is, surrounding hair should hide it well enough.

Hope he won't have to have it re-opened again :eek:

luckypenny
December 22nd, 2007, 05:10 PM
How wide are the scars Rainbow?

rainbow
December 22nd, 2007, 05:21 PM
I think I still have some pics on the computer. I'll go take a look.

rainbow
December 22nd, 2007, 05:24 PM
It's the widest around his knee.

Frenchy
December 22nd, 2007, 07:24 PM
Rainbow , IMO , the hair may not grow back on the scar but will grow back all around it and you won't be able to see the scar. I think for the time it will take , depends on the dog. Daisy had surgery on her neck and it grew back fast , I remember Otter saying it took some time for Molly.

otter
December 22nd, 2007, 07:42 PM
The hair around Molly's surgical scar took about four months to grow back. I remember bendyfoot and I were comparing surgical scar hair regrowth times a while back (August?). Molly's scar from spay surgery is still quite noticeable and I always wondered if it's cause it was the second surgery in the same place (she got spayed twice cause nobody knew her history), that surgery was almost 8 months ago. I suspect the scar tissue will never again have hair.

I would think the hair around Chase's scar will cover most of it up but if you go looking you will always see the line from the incision where the hair won't grow. Cause the hair on his legs is probably shorter and a bit sparser than a back would be, the scar might be more noticeable. I don't think slow hair growth alone would be anything to worry about - if all else is well and no hair is falling out I think all is good IMO. Tell Chase he just needs to wear that scar proudly... it's worth a LOT of money :laughing:

Frenchy
December 22nd, 2007, 07:48 PM
Tell Chase he just needs to wear that scar proudly... it's worth a LOT of money :laughing:

:laughing: Million dollar doggy :p

rainbow
December 23rd, 2007, 01:14 AM
Rainbow , IMO , the hair may not grow back on the scar but will grow back all around it and you won't be able to see the scar.

I would think the hair around Chase's scar will cover most of it up but if you go looking you will always see the line from the incision where the hair won't grow. Cause the hair on his legs is probably shorter and a bit sparser than a back would be, the scar might be more noticeable. I don't think slow hair growth alone would be anything to worry about - if all else is well and no hair is falling out I think all is good IMO.

Thanks Frenchy and Otter. I hope so :fingerscr ....as long as it's covered. :o

rainbow
December 23rd, 2007, 01:22 AM
Tell Chase he just needs to wear that scar proudly... it's worth a LOT of money :laughing:

Yeah, I should have called him KA-CHING. :D

:laughing: Million dollar doggy :p

He's not there yet but he has definitely used up our retirement fund. :frustrated: :rolleyes: :o

krdahmer
December 23rd, 2007, 09:06 AM
Fagan has one of his bitey spots now that I'm pretty sure the fur is never coming back on... the skin is smooth and there isn't even a hint of regrowth. :shrug: And even if Chase's doesn't grow back... I'm pretty darn sure he'll still be as handsome as ever... with a scar to prove how brave he was! :D

bendyfoot
December 24th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Hey Rainbow...
my experience with Jaida's extensive incisions: I can't see any of the scars on her chest at all, the fur covers everything. Now, she is double-coated, which probably helps. And I can find the whole length of the scar if I part her fur. Also, it's now been 6 months since and while it's not noticeable to most, I can tell that the fur hasn't fully grown in...just the texture, thickness of the fur where it was shaved.

Now, on her ankles, where she had her dewclaws removed, I can easily see the scar from one of the dewclaws, and the fur doesn't really cover it very well, as it's very short and thin. This dewclaw incision had a hard time closing (par for the course for Jaida it seems). I think it's going to depend on how much fur grows around the scar for Chase.

rainbow
December 24th, 2007, 01:20 PM
And even if Chase's doesn't grow back... I'm pretty darn sure he'll still be as handsome as ever... with a scar to prove how brave he was! :D

:laughing: ....he's scared of the vacuum cleaner. :D