Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I might just be a cranky pants, but.... (kind of long, sorry)

SolaMio
December 22nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
A bit of background:
I was enjoying my very first day of holiday vacation :thumbs up doing one of my favorite things, taking Sola to the park. The park I usually take her to is a provincial historic park. Dogs are allowed, as long as you have them on a leash, and you pick up after them. There are signs posted at the entrance of the trail. The vast majority of park users who bring their doggie friends are very conscientious and understand/follow these rules. A group in my community is working very hard to start a dog park, complete with pick-up bag dispensers and lots of space for dogs to run and have a great time. Hopefully it will be ready by the spring/summer of 2008 (this will be my New Year's wish, seriously). Sola will be almost a year old this summer; she is almost four months old now, half malamute and half black lab, weighs about 30-35lbs.

At any rate, for now the provincial park is great, really beautiful and near where I live. I was walking Sola (on leash) near the middle of our walk, when out of nowhere a very large golden started barrelling up a hill towards us. Sola freaked out, being only a pup of course and yelped, ran around to try and get away, etc. The golden was growling/barking and nipping at Sola (but showed no aggression towards me). I placed myself in front of Sola and yelled "go home" at the other dog, because in the spur of the moment I just wanted the bigger dog to get away from my pup. There was no owner in sight, no one yelling for their dog who had obviously taken off running after something. Then a dude on snowshoes comes sauntering up the hill and gathers the dog who did eventually go toward him when he came into view. He doesn't even say anything about his dog nearly attacking Sola, which he may not have seen but he definitely heard me yelling, just said "hello" and keeps on shoeing. I was not impressed. I noticed then that the dog had some kind of muzzle-ish thing around his nose (kind of just a strap)... But it certainly didn't stop him from being aggressive...

Am I just a cranky pants or should people follow the rules in place? :frustrated: I mean Sola could have been a toddler, or a REALLY young pup who could have had an even worse scare. Bah humbug.

ancientgirl
December 22nd, 2007, 12:01 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how inconsiderate and selfish some people can be.

What a jerk that guy.

Frenchy
December 22nd, 2007, 12:54 PM
Poor Sola :sad: If you have a dog that will act this way around other dog , you don't just let him loose , this golden should had been on a leash !

SolaMio
December 22nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
I thought the golden should have been on a leash too. I mean I know it's probably hard to snowshoe and hold a lead, but if you can't do both at once, maybe doggie has to sit this round out, or you take her for a nice walk sans snowshoes..

It was just jerky that he didn't even run up and apologize. I bet if I was a beefy man it would have been a different scenario :laughing:

Sola was so scared. :yell: She's pretty spunky but this dog was about 5x her size. Don't get me wrong I love goldens but this one seemed kind of mean. I mean do a lot of folks put muzzles on dogs that have never shown aggressive behaviour towards other dogs and/or people? :shrug: Obviously this one should have been leashed, especially in an area with explicit rules...

StumpsMom
December 23rd, 2007, 05:40 PM
Some people can be so thoughtless...I completely agree with you that this fellow should have had the decency to apologize to you. I don't know how you didn't lose your cool with him! Way to go on that!:thumbs up I don't have your patience....(that is what I'll be working on for my new years resolution :laughing:)

nikki

SARAH
December 23rd, 2007, 08:14 PM
Ooh, I know I would have given him a piece of my mind - a BIG piece! If there are rules, follow them :censored: it!

No snow-shoe + dog? Leave :dog: at home, or use skis!

Jerk! :loser: :loser:

Poor little Sola, I hope you gave her a treat after that scare!

SolaMio
December 24th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Well I don't know how much of it was patience or just shock that someone could be so careless/thoughtless. But I'm sure the look on my face and my lack of response to his casual "hello" was pretty telling (ok I'm kind of a wuss, you've got me! :laughing:)

I'm "over it" now but I needed to share on this forum because no one else understood why I was upset!!

Sola definitely got a big treat and belly rub for being so brave. You should have heard the yelp she let out though, I think half the city did :o