Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy at door to come inside but won't enter when door openned

CopperHound
December 21st, 2007, 09:12 PM
I'm having this confusing problem behaviour with my 6 month old chihuahua/ beagle mix. I let him outside to do his business and when he's had his fill of the outside he comes to the door and either sits there and waits to come back in or gives a little scratch. When I open the door he will not cross the threshold. This can be very vexing when I am pressed for time in the morning and have to get going to work. He knows the come command but will not respond in this instance, not even for a treat. Now it's winter here, it's very cold and snowy and this is persisting to be a problem; the poor little guy will sit on the porch shivering in freezing temperature but will not enter the house when I open the door for him.

Has anyone encountered this sort of behavior, does anyone have a suggestion? He takes after the beagle in appearances and demeanor and he is due to be fixed in early january.

luckypenny
December 21st, 2007, 09:19 PM
Our Lab does the exact same thing except I'm pretty sure it's because she wants me to come outside with her. When I do, and we spend a good 15-20 minutes playing, she runs right back inside when I do. Maybe if you got up a bit earlier to spend some time with your pup outside :shrug: . What a great way to really wake up with all the fresh crisp air!

hazelrunpack
December 21st, 2007, 09:22 PM
Our 18-month-old setter, Brier, does that. We've decided that sometimes when he agitates at the door, he wants someone to come out to be with him. The little nudnik... :frustrated:

Could that be what he wants? Someone to play with? When you finally go out to bring him in, does he run away and play keepaway? At 6 months, that's a favorite game for them, but aggravating for you when you're in a hurry.

With Brier, we're working to enforce the Come command. We give the command once and if he doesn't respond, we walk out after him. If he runs away, we just keep the same slow steady walk until we catch up to him and bring him in. No scolding or talking, just grab his collar and bring him in. Sometimes it's taxing on the patience and I've been late to meetings because of it...but those are just minor annoyances.

He's getting to the point where he realizes that we mean it and won't let him get away with it. When he does come in on his own, of course, he gets lavish praise. He's not perfect on his recall yet by any means, but at least we're seeing improvement. :D

CopperHound
December 21st, 2007, 09:38 PM
Thankyou both! I'll give that a try. :thumbs up

want4rain
December 21st, 2007, 09:38 PM
we had a little problem for a bit with Mister like that. he detected my anxiety wanting him to come in made him NOT want to come in because i was anxious abotu somethign!

had to always do a zen thing, slap on a patient happy face and give him loads of loving when he came in. :) fixed that problem in no time.

-ashley

crazydays
December 22nd, 2007, 07:01 AM
My 9 month pup does the same thing. She also will not pass the plain of a partially open door. She sits waiting for me to fully open it. I have tried calling her to come-- doesn't work. it is like she has no idea that she can push past it. The only time I have ever seen her accomplish this is if she is very motivated by somene at the front door or come on were going to the car!!

allymack
December 24th, 2007, 06:41 AM
i agree with LP and HRpP, maybe she just wants to be played with for a while or you can do what i d for the winter cause i dont want to get cold, get a long leash, mines about 25 feet and attach that to your dog and send him out to pee and stand at the door with it closed, but the leash still in you hand and wait for them to go pee, enzo seems to have gotten the hang of it and he knows that if he barks at something he comes in right away. but other then that he just does his business and sometimes has a sniff and comes back to the door. hope this helps :)

clm
December 24th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Both my pups do it, Bentley (8months old), more than Baxter (10 months old). Bentley really loves it outside, and I'm sure it's just because he want company out there. He never gets enough of the outdoors, the colder the better as far as he's concerned so this time of year, it's a constant thing with him here.
Go out and play for 15 minutes or so and he'll probably follow you right in the house.
If you find a treat that they can't turn down that will help to get him in. I've never had a dog refuse a piece of cheese, so if you are really pressed for time and really want him in, try a tiny piece.

Cindy

Kristin7
December 24th, 2007, 02:50 PM
When you open the door are you standing off to the side or more square in the doorway? If you appear to be blocking your pups way, he may not want to go past you. I have to stand to the side and give my dog some room. He is very respectful and won't even usually go thru a doorway in front of me and always stands aside to let me go first. Have you tried giving him a treat if he comes in on his own?