Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A New Twist On A Poop-Eating Dog

luckypenny
December 21st, 2007, 08:45 PM
...or should I say a twisted poop-eating dog?

I noticed this morning that Penny (our poop-eater) was bringing poopsicles to our patio door and dropping them there. I thought she was going to eat them :frustrated: so I opened the door quick and stopped her. This afternoon, she did the same by bringing what she could dig up under the snow to the patio door again. Now, I just let the dogs in and there by the door, more poop! It dawned on me that she's not eating them but bringing them to me :yell: .

Maybe she's just trying to tell me it's time to clean up :o . A fellow member here suggested I teach her how to put it in a pail by the door :lightbulb: :laughing:. The thought and sight of her taking it into her mouth is gross :yuck: but there's nothing I've tried so far to deter her. Should I really teach her to put it in a bucket :o if she insists ? Or am I just as twisted as she is??? Lol.

BusterBoo
December 21st, 2007, 09:00 PM
Aw....she is bringing you an early Christmas present!!!

It would be great to train her to clean up the yard in the winter, but what happens in the summer when the poopsicles turn to ...... :yuck:

luckypenny
December 21st, 2007, 09:05 PM
Well, they're fed raw so their poops are really small and solid...but still...:yuck: .

Frenchy
December 21st, 2007, 09:47 PM
Could you send her here ? Free poop patroler ! :thumbs up

I have to watch out for Ben and Bailey , this week , I saw Ben do it so I went outside and went : nooooooooo Ben ! Drop it and come back inside. While he was walking in , he was still munching on it :yell:

luckypenny
December 21st, 2007, 09:49 PM
Did he give you a sloppy wet kiss after :laughing: ?

Frenchy
December 21st, 2007, 09:52 PM
Did he give you a sloppy wet kiss after :laughing: ?

I told him he had to wait a few hours :shrug:

luckypenny
December 21st, 2007, 09:54 PM
Penny tries to kiss me as I'm wiping her paws dry :yuck: :o :lovestruck: :o .

hazelrunpack
December 21st, 2007, 10:26 PM
Grace, Brier and Cass are our poop-eaters. :yuck: And they also have very friendly tongues :eeew:

More power to you if you can train her to put it in a bucket. It might work if she only likes them frozen, not fresh. With our three, the poops don't have a chance to freeze...they like them straight out of the dog! :rolleyes: We're slippin' and slidin' trying to get to the poops in the snow before the sh-nackers get to them... :crazy:

luckypenny
December 21st, 2007, 10:34 PM
Oh, she'll take them fresh or frozen :rolleyes: , she's not picky :laughing: . She doesn't when she's knows I'm watching her. Funny thing is she won't with a strange dog's poop. She didn't go anywhere near Ava's until she was with us for about 2 months or so :confused: . Weird.

I guess no one's ever figured out why some dogs do this :shrug:?

I guess I will try the bucket by the door and see if she catches on :D .

hazelrunpack
December 21st, 2007, 10:38 PM
Cass is downright sneaky! She'll watch out of the corner of her eye and has an uncanny sense of when we're not watching! :laughing: At least Cass only eats her own--Brier and Grace want to partake of anyone's! :rolleyes:

Now won't be so bad if Penny catches on--but the unfrozen fresh ones in spring are gonna be...welll...:eeew:! :eek:

onster
December 21st, 2007, 10:46 PM
hahahaha sorry I dont have any input, except to laugh :laughing:.

I guess that's one thing hazel doesn't eat...his own poopies :p.

And sorry madamehazel for equating your name with poopeating :o.

hazelrunpack
December 22nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
And sorry madamehazel for equating your name with poopeating :o.

:laughing: That's okay! :thumbs up Our inveterate poopeaters are trying to share all the time, so it's not far from the truth! :laughing: :eek: :yuck:

:p

SolaMio
December 22nd, 2007, 04:41 AM
:o

Sola does it too and I was too embarassed to ask about it!! Why on earth would a dog want to eat its own poop? I don't understand. I remember reading that rabbits have to eat their feces because they actually need something in them for digestion (maybe someone who know rabbits would be aware-- lack of flora? fibre? no idea)... My neighbor said it could be a vitamin deficiency, but we feed Sola what I believe is high quality food (Canidae) so I don't know!

I can stop her from eating the poopsicles (:laughing:) if I have her on her lead, but what about when she's running about (on her runner/trolley)? She goes RIGHT for the sometimes day old or two day old poo. :yell:

Why why why? 'Tis not the season to be worrying so much about doo-doo. :D

14+kitties
December 22nd, 2007, 10:45 AM
I too have had a couple of dogs who eat poop. Our labx loves the kitty poo. I think it still tastes like the food and that's why she wolves it down. The more the better. She can't get to it now that the kitties are in their catuary and she is ticked! She never touches her own or my poodles. Just the kittens.
I found a site that may explain a few things and give some tips on how to stop the behaviour. It is very interesting and educational.

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_PoopEating.php

Frenchy
December 22nd, 2007, 01:01 PM

Some dogs will eat their own or others poop because there's still some kibble in it. That happens with dogs that eat too fast. Bailey was eating Sam's poop , because Sam eats too fast , so I put a Kong in the middle of the kibble when I serve Sam his food , he has to work around the Kong so takes more time to eat.

And you have the other ones who just like poop , any poop :laughing:

hazelrunpack
December 22nd, 2007, 01:10 PM

:laughing:

You'll find plenty of company here, SolaMio--poop-eating (and anal glands) seem to be a recurring theme. :D

And you have the other ones who just like poop , any poop :laughing:

These are hazel's! :o :laughing:

hazelrunpack
December 22nd, 2007, 01:13 PM
http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_PoopEating.php

I may try that pumpkin idea...:thumbs up

rainbow
December 22nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
I have a poop eating lab as well. He doesn't eat his own, just my sibe's and they are both fed the same kibble. :shrug: I have tried everything listed in those tips except the pineapple. I just made a mental note to add it to my shopping list. :D

luckypenny
December 22nd, 2007, 04:34 PM
I can't believe I started this thread stating I may train Penny to drop the doodoo in a bucket :o . Yes, I've changed painkillers today...these don't make me as loopy :o .

I took a look at that article, thanks 14+kitties. But none of the reasons listed seem to apply to Penny. I do clean up at least 1x per day although I'm not always at home when they are let out. Penny will not eat them if she knows I'm watching (even through a window...she looks around carefully before she dives in :rolleyes: :laughing:). She started on MediCal when we first brought her home, was switched to Canidae All Life Stages, then was switched again to raw. I'm quite certain she's not lacking in any nutrients although she is always hungry and looking around for crumbs of food or hand-outs. This did get me wondering though as I've heard someone mention it a while ago

"Sometimes a mother dog will eat the feces of her pups out of a natural instinct to hide evidence of her offspring from predators."

Is there a possibility that some dogs do this to protect their pack? Like I mentioned before, she won't eat the poop of a strange dog nor of a newcomer in our home.

I think I'll try the pineapple too :D before I train her to 'stoop, scoop, and dump the poop' :D .

rainbow
December 22nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
I was told once that because I have two males that he is doing it to show dominance over the other. :shrug:

luckypenny
December 22nd, 2007, 05:07 PM
I was told once that because I have two males that he is doing it to show dominance over the other. :shrug:

I think it may be the reverse: http://home.gci.net/~divs/behavior/coprophagia.html

Dominance behavior: There have been reports of a submissive dog consuming the feces of one or more dominant dogs in the same household. There are other examples in nature where the submissive members of a group participate in apparently bizarre behaviors. This is being examined in our study.

I remember learning about this on a wildlife type show on wolf packs.

As for Penny, this is what I was thinking of:

Allelomimetic behavior: The dog observes the owner picking up the feces and learns from them to do so as well. (What a smart Pennygirl :rolleyes::D)

and

Maternal behavior: ....preventing the scent of the feces from attracting predators....

rainbow
December 22nd, 2007, 06:03 PM
Well, if I had to choose, I would say that Logan is a little more dominant than Chase. So, according to that theory it could apply. We pick all the poop up regularly but it's harder with the snow. :frustrated: And, we either go out with Chase or watch him from the window. If he knows we're watching he doesn't touch it. If he doesn't know we're watching and he picks it up before we get the words "leave it" out, he spits it out once we do. :rolleyes:

14+kitties
December 22nd, 2007, 06:16 PM
I was thinking that tabasco might work well but who wants to go around sprinkling tabasco on the poop in the yard? Can you imagine what the neighbours (if I had any close enough) would think? .....there goes that crazy cat lady......what the h:censored: is she doing now????? And if you are going to take the time to sprinkle tabasco you might as well scoop.

rainbow
December 22nd, 2007, 06:36 PM
Hee hee.....I've tried the tabasco sauce. :crazy: It doesn't work. :sad: It wasn't because I was too lazy to pick up the poop, I just wanted to see if I could break him of the habit. :frustrated: Needless to say, the poop just gets scooped now. :D Except for the ones the get buried in the snow until we do. :rolleyes:

14+kitties
December 22nd, 2007, 06:43 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing: I think that's what the idea was.....to leave it and let them eat it and then they wouldn't like the taste and would leave it. Yep, mine would have thought.......Yay!! They went to extra work for me!!! Spices!!! (She loved anything hot and spicy.)
I will go on a search after Christmas and see if I can find anything that may work. Now all I need is for my kitties to start eating theirs. So far they have refrained. :fingerscr

rainbow
December 22nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Have you tried the pineapple yet?

14+kitties
December 22nd, 2007, 06:55 PM
My dog who ate poop was pts last fall due to cancer. She had only started doing this probably a few months before she was pts. Although I remember when I first got her from the shelter as a puppy she had a habit of doing it but then she stopped after I corrected it. A firm no worked well with her.
Our labx never eats dog poo. She saves her taste buds for the cat poo. Since we have moved the kitties to their catuary she can't get to it and is not happy. The vet actually told us that if she continued to eat the kitty poo it would eventually affect her kidneys because of the higher levels of protein in cat food.

Frenchy
December 22nd, 2007, 07:19 PM
Hee hee.....I've tried the tabasco sauce. :crazy: It doesn't work. :sad:

It just adds flavor :laughing: hummmm spicy poop :D

hazelrunpack
December 23rd, 2007, 12:13 AM
We scoop so well and so fast that even in snow we don't lose many (hardly ever any to clean up in spring)...our problem is that if a dog is poopin', one of the our poop eaters is right there waiting to catch it! Seriously! :eek: Plus, the three worst offenders have found out that if they synchronize their poops so that we have to be three places at once to get it all, they maximize their chances of having a shnack while we're carrying on like maniacs trying to scoop and run to the next poop... :rolleyes:

They have us well trained. :o

:laughing:

rainbow
December 23rd, 2007, 12:19 AM
Synchronized poop :laughing: ....definitely need a pack of dogs for that. :D

hazelrunpack
December 23rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
I believe it's an event at the Canine Olympics! :laugh:

rainbow
December 23rd, 2007, 12:32 AM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Janie123
December 23rd, 2007, 06:48 AM
Is he eating it? I was watching a thing on TV where a dog pooped in the house then ate it. Turned out that it was metabolizing so fast,it was coming out fast and there was still a lot of nutrients in it.:crazy: