Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Antisocial Cats

kittycorner101
December 21st, 2007, 09:35 PM
Hello everyone,

I have 2 cats both male. I adopted them last year at 6 months of age each. I have always been around cats bc my parents always had a cat. For this upcoming holiday my boss has asked me to house sit and he has a cat female as well. I have nobody to take care of my cats in their own environment (ie my apt.) so my boss saw no trouble in bringing them to his place along w. his cat.

Now, in past experiences, cats dont respond well when another animal enters their environment. So, as I was afraid, my cats were very scared yet never approached my boss's cat, and my boss's cat has not eaten and when I come within 5 ft, she hisses and spits something fierce. I am supposed to be house sitting for 2 weeks.

Will this pass sooner than later?

Are there any measures I can take so that my boss's cat has something to eat and use the litter?

Jim Hall
December 21st, 2007, 11:46 PM
ewww well put some food water and a literbox where the hiuse cat usually hangs out take your kits and segregate then for a few days from the house cat Cats are not relly fond of home invasions usually

also put some of each others bedding in each others place in 2 days or so so they can get used to each others smell
Important!!!! Keep the visiting cats litterboxes as clean as possible !

GOOD luck!! IF the house cat goes 48 hrs without eating Please speak to the vet
:thumbs up

TeriM
December 22nd, 2007, 03:00 AM
I agree with Jim's advice. At the very least you should try to close your bedroom door at night with your cats in with you. This will allow the other cat to have its house back for a while. I would also make sure to keep them totally seperated if you are not there to monitor.

Good luck.

chico2
December 22nd, 2007, 09:20 AM
WOW,you have 3 stressed out cats on your hands,your 2 because they are in a strange environment,the girl-kitty because hers is beeing invaded:yell:
2 weeks is a long time,but I would keep them seperated for the duration,it's not like this is a permanent arrangement.
The girl-kitty has to eat,so make sure she can do so without any distractions.
my :2cents:

krdahmer
December 22nd, 2007, 09:43 AM
I agree with all the advice here...seperation is probably best.

I did this same thing with my brothers cat when he was younger, watched him while they went on their honeymoon and since it was out of town I brought my two girls with me. To this day if I go to my brothers, Roscoe will hiss and spit at me and swat with claws out!!! I don't think he ever got over our invasion! (I do sneak in the odd pet here and there but as soon as he realizes its me, hiss!):rolleyes: