Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Allergies rearing its ugly head

ancientgirl
December 21st, 2007, 11:29 AM
So last night I had a really hard time when I went to bed.

The gang was downstairs playing, and I was upstairs coughing and wheezing. I'd taken my Singulair earlier that evening but I'd started coughing just as I went to bed. I had to take another one which I think helped.

I haven't had that difficult a time since Vlad was a wee little kitty and I was still on Zyrtec.

I'm thinking about asking my doctor if he can maybe prescribe an inhaler for when I have moments like that.

In the meantime, I'll have to change my sheets twice a week, instead of once. I'll have to vacuum the floor daily, and I'm going to look for a hepa filter or something similar at Home Depot for my AC unit.

I'll bathe the gang this weekend because that helps me also.

I know I read somewhere in one of the threads here about some special shampoo, or dry shampoo that you use on pets to help keep the dander down. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

I'm a little nervous about the coughing, because when I cough, I taste something metallic, and I don't think that's good.

krdahmer
December 21st, 2007, 12:04 PM
Oh no... I'm sorry to hear that... an inhaler might be what you need. But also if it is only happening at night before bed, you might want to try just a room air cleaner, I have one that I use just by the litter boxes (because although I scoop daily and I use the Swheat, it still does put dust into the air, and I think the litter dust bothers me more than the dander), since I started it I haven't had as much trouble with coughing and I think it was only about $35. And it may work for you, but battling the dander never did for me, I've found it a lot better to just leave them be and work harder at the cleaning, I vacuum every other day and swiffer the days in between, and change my sheets every week. (but I'm no neat freak... I avoid dusting like the plague!!!):rolleyes:

It took me quite a long time to adjust to so many cats too though, I added 4 in a very short period of time (not unlike yourself) and it took me a while IMO to build up my immunity/tolerance to each of their individual danders, so you might just have to suffer a little bit, till you all get settled together. I also found that food made a big difference in their dander as well, as soon as I switched them off the Nutro, my allergies got a bit better and they seemed to shed less too.

Anyhow best of luck... I know allergies and sneezing and coughing are no fun! (I actually chew gum all night to keep from coughing in my sleep.) Oh and that metallic taste... isn't that what you taste when there is blood???!! Maybe you ought to go get that checked out, do you get a lot of nose bleeds?

ancientgirl
December 21st, 2007, 12:29 PM
I'll look for that room cleaner. Actually, now that I remember, I do have one I think I can put up in the bedroom, right next to my bed. I just need to get a new filter for it.

My main issue is at night when I go to bed. I use the Swheat Scoop as well, and I realized this morning, that when I scoop their litter, I really don't take any precautions. I scoop and breath that in. So I may have to put a towel over my mouth when I scoop.

And yeah, that metal taste is associated with blood. I don't get nosebleeds, thank goodness. I was coughing a lot last night though, so it may be partly due to that.

I know changing the sheets more often will help me too, since they all now sleep with me, and Maks likes to burrow down under the sheets, and Vlad sleeps right next to me, and puts his head on my pillow.

I have to make an appointment to see my doctor in a couple of weeks anyway. Maybe I can get in to see him after the new year and mention it to him. Of course I'll have to start off with "The cats aren't going anywhere, now what can you give me?"

sugarcatmom
December 21st, 2007, 12:34 PM
I know I read somewhere in one of the threads here about some special shampoo, or dry shampoo that you use on pets to help keep the dander down. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Is this what you mean?:
http://www.allerpet.com/
http://shop.robbinspetcare.com/cats/danderfree.html

From this post: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=515573&highlight=allerpet#post515573

krdahmer
December 21st, 2007, 12:40 PM
My doctor and I had that talk too... now he doesn't even bother with the cats have to go speeches.

I got these disposable masks for when I was pregnant for scooping the poop (hubby is on the road so when I do get pregnant again, I have to scoop). I think they were very reasonable about $5 for a box of 50 or so, I'm sure any pharmacies would have them available down there. They are just the ones that cover your nose and mouth and have elastics that go around your ears... made out of a moulded stiff cloth type material. I find that I still wear those when we do the 'big' clean outs as it does get pretty dusty moving that much litter. And if I don't I really suffer for a couple days.

Another thing that caused my latest coughing fits was using that Crest Night mouthwash... have no idea why, but as soon as I stopped using it, I felt better.

Oh and I can't use this anymore(diabetes), but when you are having a really bad dry hacking cough, a spoonful of corn syrup works wonders.

ancientgirl
December 21st, 2007, 12:45 PM
Is this what you mean?:
http://www.allerpet.com/
http://shop.robbinspetcare.com/cats/danderfree.html

From this post: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=515573&highlight=allerpet#post515573

YES! Sugarcatmom THANK YOU! That's exactly what I meant. I'm going to see if I can get one of either of these products. Now next week if all goes well with Czarina's appointment and she'll allow it, I'll have one more kitty in the house. I have to do whatever I can so that I can enjoy my time at home with them.

Krdahmer, I'll try that with the corn syrup. Thanks. And, you know, when I sent my doctor's office a Christmas card, I put a p.s. in for him: "Dr. Mones, I know, I know, but the cats aren't going anywhere so you may as well keep the medication coming."

krdahmer
December 22nd, 2007, 08:49 AM
Cute! I bet that got a chuckle... and now they can see the sweethearts you are talking about!

ancientgirl
December 22nd, 2007, 10:23 AM
He's been my doctor for almost 20 years, so he knows I can be like that LOL.

I actually had a better night last night. I used the mask thing to clean out the litter, I vacuumed and I took my pill a little closer to bed. Today I brought a nice new sheet set and comforter set, and I put it on my bed. I also gave them all a quick bath and brushed them really well. Oddly enough, Vlad and Oksana usually hate being brushed, but they allowed me with no problem this time.

I vacuumed and I cleaned the floor. Tomorrow i'll get the AC unit filter I need and I'll also look for the filters for the small air cleaner I have so hopefully with all I'm doing it will help.

I'll still talk to my doctor about an inhaler for those scary moments.