Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need some advice

CearaQC
December 21st, 2007, 10:25 AM
Just learned something new this morning. Husband of one of the rescue ladies came by early this morning to drop off a Christmas card for us, to see the pups and play a little guitar with my hubby.

Anyway, while he was here, he said Belle's old owner mentioned she wants Belle back and the puppies. Yeah... right. The old owner signed a paper giving up rights to the dog anyway. So hopefully it's just hot air and nothing more.

So I'm worried now about finding homes for these pups. In small towns, people talk and the word gets around fast. How in the world can I get these little ones adopted out without it getting back to the old owner. She has no idea where Belle is currently and doesn't even know me or my hubby. I've never even seen that woman. And I definitely don't want her knowing our address. Her boyfriend is in and out of jail and I'm kinda worried that if they find out where we live, he might commit more crime and try to take Belle from us.

The people that we know that expressed some interest in the pups initially right after they were born now don't seem to want to come and choose one to adopt later.

So what do I do? It doesn't seem smart to advertise locally in this case.

I typed up an ad for "adoptable pets not in shelters" on PetFinder but they have not approved it yet. I sent an email to the nearest shelter in Dalhousie, N.B. but if we can't get some money from adoptions ourselves we won't have enough money to get Belle spayed until May. But I already scheduled a vet appointment first week in February to get that ball rolling. If a shelter takes the pups then we lose that money.

First and foremost I want to protect Belle and her pups to make sure that the previous owner never gets to see any of them or get wind of where they are now. I was told Anima Quebec has been to see her again recently and got on her case about the other dog (pup from Belle's first litter) that's living there. Don't know anything more and will have to ask my contacts.

Winston
December 21st, 2007, 10:40 AM
CearaQC..You must horrified to think about those crazy people.

Just a thought though...could you possibly use some of the contacts you made here through pets.ca to help find good loving homes for your pups? I think there are enough people here involved with rescue that they could assist you with adoption...

Plus we could arrange different groups to transport the pups...even if someone a distance away wanted one....it wouldnt be the first time people here have helped transport a dog to another city...

Besides, if the pups are out of the area there would be no risk of the previousl owner bothering..

If there is anything at all that I can do I certainly would help...I live in Ontario and could help arrange to transport a pup at the very least....

Cindy

Frenchy
December 21st, 2007, 11:18 AM
I agree with Winston , but you wouldn't be able to get money for the pups if they go into rescue. Maybe your vet would know people (good pet owners) that would adopt these pups ? And make them sign a "no breeding" contract ?

ancientgirl
December 21st, 2007, 11:21 AM
I'm so sorry you are having to deal with that crazy :censored: now.

I wish I could help, but I'm all the way down here in Florida.

I do agree with you in that I would try whatever you can do to make sure the pups get adopted away from there. I would not want that woman to have my address or know where the puppies go. She doesn't sound right in her mind.

I wish you luck!

rainbow
December 21st, 2007, 12:13 PM
Wow, that sucks, Ceara. :grouphug:

I agree with what Cindy and Frenchy said. There's lots of people here that will help if they can. Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Ford Girl
December 21st, 2007, 12:27 PM
I am in Calgary, but I will help if at all possible. As long as those "people" and I use the term lightly don't get their hands on your pack!! How much is the spay?

JanM
December 21st, 2007, 01:11 PM
OMG - what a terrible worry for you! I wish I was closer so I could adopt a puppy or two..

My prayers are with you and the pups and Belle too!

chico2
December 21st, 2007, 04:23 PM
OMG Ceara,that's not the kind of worry you need right now:frustrated:
Why would the people that were interested before back out?
Are they afraid of the original owner???

CearaQC
December 21st, 2007, 05:16 PM
Not sure chico. I don't think she's anything to be afraid of since she's pregnant with her 5th kid. It's the boyfriend in/out of jail from violence that bothers me.

Just sucks hearing that kinda news that she wants the dog AND the puppies. And after all the work so many people have done to get Belle out of there.

I just hope Anima Quebec does something to get that other dog out of there.

Well, I'll keep trying. Pups aren't ready to leave yet so I have a couple of weeks to phone people and get them to come over and visit these furballs. I just want them to end up in a decent home and will do everything in my power to make sure they thrive.

If locals don't want to adopt... then more drastic measures will be taken to get them out of this area.

Mainly I just wanted to see if any of you guys had some good ideas to share. I received a few PMs and forgot all about Rosies in Montreal. So thank you all that PMd me.

Thanks for all the help so far. You all have been a wonderful support team. Don't know what I would have done if I didn't find this forum. I hope to be able to repay all the kindness someday.

I'll foster a mom cat with kittens any time. But dogs... well... not for a loooong time! lol

Lukka'sma
December 21st, 2007, 05:23 PM
No advice her to offer either, but just wanted to wish you luck on getting the pups a good home:thumbs up. Hope it goes smoothly.

chico2
December 22nd, 2007, 06:57 AM
Ceara,nothing to repay,we get rewarded with wonderful pics and Videos that makes even the saddest person smile.
Even hubbie,who is really tired of me calling"Come here,you GOT to see this":laughing:

StumpsMom
December 23rd, 2007, 09:51 PM
Just because she's saying she wants the dog and pups doesn't mean she'll get them....if she's signed over her rights, it may be more hassle to get them back than she's willing to deal with. Just a thought....

Anyway, here's to hoping you find loving forever homes for those babies!

nikki :)

Luba
December 23rd, 2007, 11:54 PM
I would adopt outside of the community to avoid the previous owner from using their local friends/relatives to adopt them, and then they end up back at the jerks house. Doesn't mean jerk can't have friends/family outside of the community, it just means it gives them a better fighting chance away from them.

Rosie's is great, I sent you info about them before. My dog is from Rosies and I have nothing but admiration for Anne Dube who runs it, she's a fantastic lady along with all the others.