Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pug with poo issues

nyssa
December 21st, 2007, 11:01 AM
I have a pug of unknow age but assumed she is getting into the 8-9 years of age. She recently started have an issue where she doesn't seem to know she is pooing. She'll just be walking along and out it comes. It isn't loose, no blood, nothing to raise concern except that my previous house trained dog is now a time bomb waiting to happen. Hubby is at wits end. I was hoping someone might have some insight or at least have some suggestions. I will tell you that she is on a thyroid pills but has been since we've owned her which is 5 years, levels checked regularly, I also have her on a weight control Purina dog food and I add an omega 3 supplement.

To add a little more detail it seems to be uncontrollable as she doesn't even hold it thru most nights now. This again is only poo, her anal glands look fine, no new gas or smell issues (I saw no new as she is a pug ;) ).

Any advice please.

Longblades
December 21st, 2007, 11:47 AM
When our girl began to do this it was after a diagnosis of invertebral disk disease and significant spinal spondylosis. The diagnosis was precipitated by a period of acute pain and distress but I believe the fecal incontinence can just be the first symptom. If your pooch's problem is coming from a back problem, or any other problem, you want to get her to the Vet to see if you can help her. In our case, at our girl's old age of 12.5, we just lived with the fecal incontinence for another +2 years. She did go on meds for her pain.

nyssa
December 22nd, 2007, 10:12 PM
I hope that isn't the cause. I was hoping it was more of maybe just need to change her food. I know she is getting older but it will break my heart if it is something big. She has her yearly check-up schedule in a few weeks so hopefully we can get to the bottom of the issue. Neight hubby or I like the poo issue.

luckypenny
December 22nd, 2007, 10:27 PM
Can you get your appointment moved up? I hope it's something that's easily treatable :fingerscr . I have to say, I didn't like it much when one of our dogs was really ill when we first brought him home and he pooped bloody diarrhea all over our carpeted basement for the first two nights :o. But that just goes with the responsibilities of pet ownership...for better or worse :shrug: .

TeriM
December 23rd, 2007, 12:07 AM
I would definately have this discussion with your vet. 8-9 years old is really not that old for a smaller breed dog so he should not be having these sorts of issues.

Good luck.

rainbow
December 23rd, 2007, 12:33 AM
I agree with Luckypenny and would get the appointment for her annual checkup done sooner. A few weeks either side of the "due date" will not matter. Good luck and please keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

nyssa
December 28th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I understand where you guys are coming from buy my vet closed for the last two weeks of the year and I don't care much for his backup clinic. She isn't destressed, happy as ever, eats like her typical pig self or I would take her to an emergency clinic, for that matter I wouldn't have even posted if it was something that I felt needed immediate attention - believe me all the critters her gets lots of love and care :) Here is a photo of her with her best friends Christmas eve