Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

First Time at the HS

Ford Girl
December 20th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I will try not to bore you and I won't write each time, but since this was my first experience I thought I'd share it with you. Keeping in mind these dogs have all been thru the screening and are up for adoption.

Last night was my final training session and I started working with the dogs! They gave us a complete tour, it's amazing how things work, there is a whole other world to the place that the public doesn't get to see. Everyone was so nice and helpful, and we saw tones of volunteers coming in and out walking the dogs, cleaning up, etc....it was just a great feeling to be there. After the tour and training we were left to start our Stress Busting!! It was intimidating at first, you read the little cards outside of each kennel to see what "quirks" each dog has and then go in to the kennel with a strange dog and spend time with it, brush and toys in hand.

I worked with 3 dogs in total, a stray basset that was very mouthy and teethy, so cute tho, kinda bit my arm in a curious way not agressive but it was something to note. Ok - my first dog nibbled me. Alrighty then...next. LOL! (right after I left her kennel a family asked me to show her to them, so I got an adoptions agent to help them) The second was a huge nervous lab, this was the most intimidating for me, the space is small, he's really large, not enough room to throw a ball and if you sit on the floor they hover over you, it took some time for him to warm up to the idea that I was in his space, then he laid down and we just sat and chatted. LOL! Seriously, he was a great listener, a huge high energy boy, it was nice to see him settle. Not alot of touch or play, he was anxious before and when I first walked in, I think he just wanted company with him? :angel:

The third dog almost made me lose it, I didn't, but almost. It was a very small maltese or something like that, he was so tiny and friendly, he just jumped on my lap and went to sleep. As I sat there petting him I couldn't help but think what on earth would make an owner surrender a tiny gentle thing like this...I kept saying to myself, don't cry, don't do it, stay positive...just as my eyes couldn't hold tears back a worker came in to his kennel and said he was adopted, I looked over and his new fmaily had been watching us, they were there to take him for a walk. He was just there for a bit longer to be nutured, then he'd be going home. I felt instantly happy. It was a good feeling. All the while families and a Brownie troup were walking thru, browsing and watching us in the kennels with the dogs. I am off all of next week and plan on going to spend time over the holidays.

My only issue with this all - we are not allowed to work with puppies under 6 month old!!! :mad: Oh the injustic!! :yell: :laughing: (for health reasons) At the very back of the shelter is where they keep the puppies, there were a few, they don't last long (none of the dogs do really), I have to mention these guys tho - in the last kennel there were 2 golden x setter males, 3 months old, pitch black velvet fur, curly crimped ears - man o man!!! :lovestruck::cloud9::lovestruck::cloud9:

That was my night. I loved it. I am still stoked about being there. I got home and let my critters sniff me until they were done, then I hugged them and kissed them, and reminded them how spoiled there were. :laughing:

CearaQC
December 20th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I for one vote to keep the stories coming. :thumbs up

I love reading people's experiences from "behind the scenes."

Frenchy
December 20th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I for one vote to keep the stories coming. :thumbs up

I love reading people's experiences from "behind the scenes."

Me too ! Me too ! I want to hear about it EVERYTIME you go there :pray:

I almost cried reading your post , on this time a year , I always think about homeless people , home pets .... :sad:

It's such a nice thing you're doing ! :thumbs up :2huggers:

Lukka'sma
December 20th, 2007, 12:00 PM
You are going to be one of the best things that has ever walker through those doors!!!!!!!
It is one of the hardest jobs in the world to volunteer and see just what these poor animals go through. I found myself being absolutely torn when I was a HS volunteer. Filled my house up with critters and all:D
Many times I asked myself how a person gives up such an adorable pet much the way you did.........difficult to understand. I was lucky enough to adopt my Nugget:rip: because someone thought him to be disposable. I spent the next 17 years making every one of his days a reason to celebrate. He in turn showed me what true devotion is.
Great job Ford Girl, and every time you win a point with a dog or cat (like the lab) it just moves you doesn't it.:lovestruck:

Ford Girl
December 20th, 2007, 12:09 PM
http://calgaryhumanesociety.com/

Thanks guys, it makes me feel a whole ray of emotions from angry and pure joy, to feeling helpless to feeling at peace with this is what I can do for these animals, it's all I can do.

I attached the link, the lab and basset are on there. :lovestruck: And my buddy (Voo Doo's mom) worked with Jenny. :lovestruck: And there is a hound too, but she went for a nice long walk and was pooped out, when I peeked in she was snoozing, but she is beautiful!! :cloud9:

The best part is my work will let me rearrnage my hours to accomdate volunteering, so I can fit this in to my work week pretty easily. :highfive:

CearaQC
December 20th, 2007, 12:17 PM
LOL I like the one cat that looks like he dunked his nose into black paint.

Wow way more cats than dogs there.

And who would turn in a lovebird? I see a few birds listed there. My brother-in-law and his wife took in a lovebird a couple of years ago that was abused. Poor thing had its leg broken and never fixed so he hobbles around like a pirate with a peg leg. His name is Chico and loves water. I don't know why people would want to abuse a poor little bird like that. :shrug:

Anyway, hooray for you for volunteering and keep those stories coming!

phoozles
December 20th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I loved the story too and also request more! :)

Once the holidays are over, I'm going to look into volunteering at our local OSPCA. I can't wait to start helping out with all the little adoptees!

Ford Girl
December 20th, 2007, 12:31 PM
LOL I like the one cat that looks like he dunked his nose into black paint.

Wow way more cats than dogs there.

And who would turn in a lovebird? I see a few birds listed there. My brother-in-law and his wife took in a lovebird a couple of years ago that was abused. Poor thing had its leg broken and never fixed so he hobbles around like a pirate with a peg leg. His name is Chico and loves water. I don't know why people would want to abuse a poor little bird like that. :shrug:

Anyway, hooray for you for volunteering and keep those stories coming!

Yes, the number they threw out there at the first orientation (they don't sugar coat anything) were crazy!! Intake 10K per year, 7K cats, 3K dogs. They do anything and everything to keep as many for as long as possible, they use every square inch before they have to do the deed. Way more cats then dogs, and they work along side many other rescues and shelters, and no kill facilites and fosters to help prolong all lives. They really do strive to help each and every animal.

The people who live in and around this city are very generous, the donations and public out pouring of help is an amazing story in itself. The private and corporate support and donations would even warm the grinch's tiny heart!

There was a cockitial (sp?) there who looked abused, poor guy, I don't get it. :shrug: And you know what - folks like us never will understand it. All we can do is help educate people and help the critters who need it.

rainbow
December 20th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I also want to hear the stories. :thumbs up

I've always wanted to volunteer but they don't have an SPCA here. :sad: The closest one is 30 miles away. In a way that's a blessing though as I'd be making way too many "sammiches". :o

happycats
December 20th, 2007, 01:32 PM
I LOVE the stories, and agree with the rest....keep em coming!!:thumbs up
I have always wanted to work at the HS or Rescue, but I know that I would get to emotionaly involved, and would end up taking all the unwanted ones home!!

JanM
December 20th, 2007, 01:34 PM
What a wonderful experience - for you and for the animals you worked with!
Please keep the write-ups coming - one after every visit please :D

breeze
December 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Keep the stories coming

I want to here all of them also

I will look forward to hearing more of them......

Chris21711
December 20th, 2007, 02:30 PM
We had a Pittie booked to fly out to Calgary (HS) last Sunday, due to the dusting of snow we had in Ontario, flight cancelled , now we have to wait until after the new year (nobody flies animals over the Christmas season. I'll let you know when he is on his way Ford Girl, he's a sweetheart. Don't forget to give them all smooches.:p

hazelrunpack
December 20th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Sounds like a great place, Ford Girl--and that you've found your niche! :thumbs up Please keep the stories coming! :D

Frenchy
December 20th, 2007, 08:49 PM
http://calgaryhumanesociety.com/

Thanks guys, it makes me feel a whole ray of emotions from angry and pure joy, to feeling helpless to feeling at peace

That's why it will help you if you talk / post about it. :grouphug:

joeysmama
December 20th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Another vote for more stories !

BusterBoo
December 20th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Ford Girl, I was in tears reading your post! You are doing exactly what I want to do when I retire (another year or two).

When I was a teenager (back in the 60s) I wanted to go to school to be a Vet but my parents couldn't afford it. Probably a good thing because I know I would own more animals than allowed.

Now that I am on my way to retirement, the thought of spending my days in a Humane Society or SPCA excites me. I am sure you will shed a tear or two or three with some of the animals you will meet, but know that what you are doing will make a difference.

Thank you!

SolaMio
December 21st, 2007, 05:31 AM
This is really wonderful and heartwarming. I would love to volunteer as you are doing (but like others said, I would find it so heartwrenching when some critters didn't find their "forever homes"). Ok must be the time of year-- am more overemotional than usual. Every story in our local paper and online about shelter animals is making me tear up!
:cry:
If I could handle more critters (timewise and money-wise) I sure would. Good thing there are people like you who devote their time to help these little ones!

chico2
December 21st, 2007, 06:49 AM
Ford Girl,I too got all teary-eyed,X-Mas does that to me,I admire you greatly for putting your own emotions and probably many sad days aside for the good of all these needy animals.
All those poor cats that nobody wants:sad:but at least they are safe and warm,in what seems to be a well organized HS,especially if they have many more people like you and please keep the stories coming:cat::dog:

Chris21711
December 31st, 2007, 10:55 AM
We managed to get Cesar the Pittie out to Calgary before Xmas, which was great. Maybe you can go and visit him, he is a darling and keep those stories coming.

Ford Girl
December 31st, 2007, 11:45 AM
We managed to get Cesar the Pittie out to Calgary before Xmas, which was great. Maybe you can go and visit him, he is a darling and keep those stories coming.

I saw him on Friday!!! :lovestruck: So cute!

Chris21711
December 31st, 2007, 02:22 PM
I'll let the girls know at the shelter. They would love to know when he gets adopted. They try so hard to find a way out for the Pitties that they are not allowed to put up for adoption. Read your other post about the HS, you sound like you are having the time of your life there.:thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
January 1st, 2008, 01:36 AM
Great job FordGirl keep the stories coming :thumbs up

off to find your next post ;)

Ford Girl
January 2nd, 2008, 11:32 AM
I'll let the girls know at the shelter. They would love to know when he gets adopted. They try so hard to find a way out for the Pitties that they are not allowed to put up for adoption. Read your other post about the HS, you sound like you are having the time of your life there.:thumbs up

I will update you as soon as I know anything about him. When I was there he was with a family in a visiting room. :fingerscr And my friend visited him on Saturday too. I will be back there on Friday. :thumbs up