Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog and her space while I'm away

shan
June 4th, 2004, 04:29 PM
I have been reading the posts that involve heidiho and I dont really want to get involved, but now you all have me 2nd guessing what I do with my own dog! She is penned in about a 5ft by 5 ft area of my entrance during the day while I am at work (7:30 to 5) do you think this is cruel as well? She is a shih-tzu/bichon cross. She seems happy and well adjusted, so I am sure she is fine. There is enough room for her traveling kennel (which she sleeps in) her food and water and still room for her to move (not run or anything). Just wanted some opinions.

Lucky Rescue
June 4th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Well, it's not ideal, but it's better than a tiny shipping crate that a dog can barely move in. If you give her attention and exercise in the evenings and don't lock her up at night then it's the best to be hoped for in the circumstances.

How old is your dog? Is she not trustworthy loose in the house yet?

cmt489
June 4th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Wise decision in not wanting to get involved with the other posts! :p

Re your concerns with your dog - I see a huge difference between what you are doing and what the other poster is doing. You have a small dog in an area that she can actually move around in, eat and drink. She can stretch her legs, stand up, lay down. As LR says, maybe not absolutely ideal but if she seems happy, it is likely working for you. Everyone does things differently. While I personally let my guy have run of the house (my choice), IMHO, you are not being cruel to your dog at all. :)

Michelle

shan
June 4th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Annie is only 4 months old, thats why she is penned up. Eventually I would like to give her the run of the upstairs, and just gate the stairs, but she just stopped having to go the bathroom during the day about a week or so ago, and I really dont trust her at this point alone in the house. She is not locked up after work, unless no one is around which is not very often (once a week if that)

cutelittlemako
June 4th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Can't you come in or get a neighbour to come in during the day to let her out to strech out a bit. Get some fresh air... 7:30 to 5:00 is a long time. I would not want to be stuck in the house for so long. And she is pretty young to be alone. If you don't know anybody who can let her out, when you take a walk close to your house, and people oooh and aaah at how cute your puppy is, chat them up and ask if they know anyone that is trustworthy to let your pup out. It might work out for the best.

Luba
June 4th, 2004, 07:13 PM
All day alone for a 4mon old pup thats too long for them to be alone.
They are social creatures and need to be around people and dogs as often as pssbl early on.

This is not a very good situation, 8 -9-10 hrs a day alone.

Can you not get someone in atleast once during the day to take the pup out and feed and play, get some exercise and socialize??

My pup is 6 mons and she hasn't been left for more then 4hours.

MBRA518
June 7th, 2004, 08:07 AM
While having a dog walker may be best... I don't think it is necessary, nor is it always possible. I personally would not trust anyone with my dog. She's a rottwieller (meaning people are often scared of them and don't trust them..bla bla bla) and I just wouldn't take the chance - JM personal fear. Mind you she has the run of the house and often prefers to be in anyway (but she is also 8 and doesn't have accidents).

Many dogs and cats have owners who work so often 8-9-10 hours alone is a part of life. There are many happy well adjusted dogs that no one stays home with every day.

Luba, while many people would love to stay home with their dogs and never leave them for more than 4 hours, it is just not an option for many people... I don't think that makes them bad owners. While I agree my dog would rather be with me all the time - she just can't be and she is fine. They adjust to their life... she knows she doesn't come in the morning and just picks her couch of choice for her snooze as we leave for work... but look out when it's time to go to the barn... LOL Then she wants to go :D

Luba
June 7th, 2004, 10:04 AM
MBRA longer periods of time are more acceptable for adult dogs but not puppies.

Getting a young pup as you know requires more work and time then an adult dog.

Planning AHEAD of time goes a long way. If your work does not permit you access to your puppy through the day then it would be better to have an adult dog.

I've said it a million times, they need additional feedings, outings, socialization. This can't be done if you work all day. So, for those CONSIDERING a puppy who can't get someone to take the pup out and work all day....get a mature dog!

MBRA518
June 7th, 2004, 10:20 AM
MBRA longer periods of time are more acceptable for adult dogs but not puppies.

Getting a young pup as you know requires more work and time then an adult dog.

Planning AHEAD of time goes a long way. If your work does not permit you access to your puppy through the day then it would be better to have an adult dog.

I've said it a million times, they need additional feedings, outings, socialization. This can't be done if you work all day. So, for those CONSIDERING a puppy who can't get someone to take the pup out and work all day....get a mature dog!

All good advise - but you can raise a well adjusted pup while working. While not ideal, it is possible. I've had mine since she was 8 weeks and she was w/o people for the 8-9-10 hours at times - although she did have my mothers 2 dogs for company until she was 8 months. From then until she was 3 she had doggy firends she played with daily - but she was alone while I was in school - fortunatly not as long as if I had been working.

While I think it is ok for them to be w/o people for those times (obviously puppies need to be given an "ok to pee here" spot) I don't like them being completely alone - they will survive but I personally don't like them totally alone. After we put down our other dog we got a cat to keep Rose company (and give a needy cat a home) - my rose has bad hips (not full blown HD) so we though another dog would not be best for her so we got the cat and they are the best of buds.

So while I agree with Luba about anyone considering a pup - to maybe look into an adult dog if you can't be home or find an arrangement for the dog... but if you already have a pup - as long as the dog gets plenty of socialization and exercise after work and a large enough space to move around while you're away they should be fine.

Lucky Rescue
June 7th, 2004, 10:23 AM

Yup yup! I say the same thing, but people get really angry about that. "I want!" is not the only consideration!

A housetrained young adult from the pound or rescue would be so grateful to have a comfortable house to stay in during the day!

Chany
June 8th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Shan your dog will be fine. :) I agree with MBRA and cmt. Dogs are like kids they get into a routine and actually are comforted by a routine. Your situation may not be ideal but neither is alot of ours! ;) But we don't live in a 'perfect world' by any means. I will not let Abbey have the run of our house until she out grows puppyhood. Then freedom shall be hers! Some may not agree, but she is fine! Hell even I don't get the luxury of a "perfect" life!! :D

melanie
June 8th, 2004, 05:11 PM
i think in this situation it is really important to excersise that pup as much a you can, get rid of all morning energy through excersise and then as soon as you come home. i found if charlie had not an ounce of energy left she would sleep most of the time and be energentic again when i get home. but she was in a small outside pen (it opened to a big yard but penned as our fence was next to the pub and i didnt want her near the fence without my supervision) so i dont know, but other than grass and street activity i cant imagine it would be any different inside would it?? i wonder ;)

shan
June 8th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks everyone. Annie gets walked in the morning, and then gets walked immediately at night when I get home. She does seem to enjoy routine. In fact she knows what time is bed time and crawls into her kennel without being told anymore...I know that her situation is not ideal, but it doesnt seem to be causing her any stress. She has plenty of toys to keep her busy (She LOVES greenies) and plays by herself alot even when we are there (her own choice) so I am sure her she does fine. Just to let you all know, I do know what it is like to put a dogs needs before my own, I have another dog, Maddie who I got when I was straight out of college. I moved home to the farm with her, and she just loved it there. When I had to move away to town I left Maddie on the farm...you cant take a farm dog away from the farm! So although Annies situation may not be the "ideal" I do love and care for her as best as I can, and do everything I can to keep her happy.

Luba
June 8th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Careful with Greenies she's better off with raw beef bones (supervised)

greenies are made mostly from glycerine (soap)