Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Canadian Kennel Club

budboybudboy77
December 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Hi If a breeder is with a provincial club ,how do we know if they the breeder are with the CKC?

Thks

Longblades
December 19th, 2007, 11:11 AM
http://www.ckc.ca/en/Default.aspx?tabid=113

Look here.

budboybudboy77
December 19th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Thks I have looked but don't know where to start to get a list.

Thks

Writing4Fun
December 19th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I find the CKC's website to be a little lacking in that department. :frustrated:

You can use that link, or try doing a google search, to find breed-specific rescues in your province (sorry, I didn't check before posting :o). These rescues usually have a pretty good handle on who's a good breeder and who ... well ... isn't. (and, hey, they just might have your perfect dog waiting there for a home! ;) )

Otherwise, you can check out the Dogs In Canada breeders listing and start interviewing to weed out the good from the bad. :shrug:

Longblades
December 19th, 2007, 01:18 PM
You don't get a list of breeders. You get a list of breeds and clubs for various areas. Then you must contact that club. Some clubs have websites. I agree it is not a user friendly site. I was able to find my pup's breeder in the Labrador Retriever Club of Canada listing of breeders but it was a convoluted process to get there.

budboybudboy77
December 19th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Ok thks The breeder I found was on the golden retreiver club of Quebec , I guess she the breeder is reg'd?

satchelp
December 20th, 2007, 12:26 AM
A breeder does not have to be a CKC member, or have a kennel name registered with the CKC to register a dog. Anyone with a purebred litter from dogs that are CKC-registered can register a litter. When a kennel name is registered, it simply protects the name so that no one else can register dogs with that kennel name as part of the registered name.

Another thing to be aware of is that even if a breeder is a member of the CKC, it doesn't mean they are a good breeder.

The best thing to do, as someone suggested is to go to the breed club for a list of member breeders. Note, however, that the breed clubs won't actually recommend specific breeders. They will just list breeders that are members and that have agreed to abide by their code of ethics etc. You still have to do your research and ask the right questions of the breeder you decide to contact.

Rottielover
December 20th, 2007, 06:05 AM
also be very careful. CKC also means , continental kennel club, which is a reg for BYB and millers

budboybudboy77
December 20th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Ok so back to square one , I've been to the breeder and she has been doing this for 22 yrs.Parents on place.