Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Electronic gate training/ntermittent access

Windsurferie
December 19th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I would like to allow my dog intermittent, but daily access to our family room. Today we do this via a gate. Using the gate is unsightly and somewhat of a pain. I also have had to replace it twice now. I thought I was done with gates after our children left the toddler stage!!. What I would like to do is put in an electronic gate that I can turn off and on. I would then like to have a visual clue for the dog, so that she knows when acess is denied/the fence is on and when access is OK/the fence is off. Something like a small flag that I raise and lower. Has anybody done something like this? How did you train the dog to understand the signal? She already wears a collar for the outside electronic fence.

Thanks,

Ron

Melinda
December 19th, 2007, 03:41 PM
would it not be a lot easier just to teach your dog "out"? It would confuse the heck out of your dog i think, to at times allow it in the room and at others not. I've taught my dog that "out" means to leave the room, for example if we have company that is scared of her or if small babies are over visiting.

Ford Girl
December 19th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I agree, I wouldn't use a barrier, you shouldn't have to. We taught Dazy "out of the kitchen". Say it and she leaves. If we want her in there for nail clipping time or what ever, we call her in. It helps to pick a spot for them to go when you do ask them to leave, we started with masking tape "X" on either end of the kitchen (round about walk thru kitchen), we would say the words and place her on the spot, the X's are long gone but she still goes to the exact spot.

Can you explain what reasons you would want your dog in and out so we can comment in detail? Is it like when food there, you want her out? When you are snuggled up watching a movie it's ok to be in? Those situations are easy to manage, you just need to tell your dog repeatedly - teach them out, redirect them to where you want them to be if not with you, then teach them to come in with permission.

At first it will take you a bit, you might have to do it 10 times in a row for a week. The light will turn on if you are consistant. :thumbs up

Windsurferie
December 20th, 2007, 01:21 PM
We give her free run of the kitchen while we are gone during the day and at night when we are sleeping, but at these times we close the gate so she does not roam the familly room. At times my kids (I have to blame somebody:::)) leave goodies for her to chew on like a pen or in the case of last week, the remote control for the TV was left out and we discovered she found this an interesting treat to chew on. Mostly when we are awake and home we let her in the family room, but there are exceptions like when she is wet from outside or we have visitors. I suppose we could train her to respond to the word "out" when we are there, but during the day and at night this will not work. The gate itself is a major aggravation, not to mention it looks bad and defeats the purspose of having a wide open free flowing entry between rooms

Thanks for the replies so far.

Ron

CearaQC
December 20th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Consider crating maybe?

Then when the dog is inside the crate, you're guaranteed that the dog won't destroy anything, unless someone puts a wrong item inside the crate.

Ford Girl
December 20th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Ya, a crate would work, they make things called X-Pens too, larger and space to roam but confined so they are safe. There is very little training with this idea, so it would be easier then teaching out or what flags mean. :thumbs up