Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

butcher

rude
December 19th, 2007, 10:23 AM
how many of you go straight to the butcher for you raw meals....I haven't yet I just buy off grocery shelves because the smallest is only 15pds..but I do have a Saint Bernard (also have a lab newf) as pictured and would love to give him a raw snack of some kind without costing me a fortune.....I wouldn't know what to ask the butcher for dog food...what do you guys ask for ...."hello there can I have meat scrapes""...what??:grouphug:

want4rain
December 19th, 2007, 11:28 AM
i pay roughly $0,77lb to get a whole chicken from SAMS. i COULD get 40lbs of chicken backs @ $14 from a butcher BUT i have to get there.... and parking is a pain in the butt and we would still have to find food for our cats. cats are obligate carnivores so they need ONLY meat. we can not make up calcium overload (ie just backs with less meat, more bone) by feeding grains and veggies and fruits. so it would in essence cost MORE for us to get the backs for the dog and then have to find breast on the bone for the cats typically @ over $1 per pound.

i think if you explained to your butcher what you need, they can find you what works well. chicken backs dont sell well for human consumption, neither do necks. id ask them for backs by the case?? or necks by the case? both of those are perfectly fine for dogs who are supplemented with other foods (which i feel dogs should be!) also, if youa re up for the work out, you can usually get whole turkeys inexpensively. a 22lb turkey can feed Mister for more than a few days.... just have to cut it up. :) he will hoark it down in 2 days for sure.

-ashley

SARAH
December 19th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I wish there WAS a butcher near where I am :sad:

want4rain
December 19th, 2007, 11:40 AM
i wish i had a freezer big enough!

luckypenny
December 20th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Even cheaper than a butcher, you can go straight to a meat distributor (look them up in the yellow pages) and pay wholesale prices rather than retail. You would definitely need a large freezer though as they sell in large quantities.

Depending on what you choose to feed them, you can ask for chuck, ribs w/meat, neck, kidney, heart, liver etc, from a beef distributor...necks, carcass, feet, giblets, liver, wing tips, and even whole small chickens from a poultry distributor...neck, shanks, ribs, etc from a pork distributor and so on.

CearaQC
December 20th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Yep get a chest freezer. We buy people food for weeks at a time when it's on sale and don't go to the store much more than once or twice a month for perishables like milk and eggs. Couldn't live without my big freezer!

There's no traditional butcher where I live unfortunately. I resorted to complaining and cornering owners of grocery stores, and only one has been willing to help.

You gotta appeal to their sense of profit and say that if they order this stuff they can make more money. Talk to them in their terms. :laughing:

I was told by one guy that they would never get meat parts like I wanted for dogs because it's considered "waste."

If you know any hunters, beg them for parts so they won't toss the stuff people don't normally eat, like green tripe. I saw a raw feeding website once with pictures of dogs chowing down on deer heads. :yuck: