Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boney Tail

want4rain
December 19th, 2007, 08:18 AM
my sisters Pretty Pitty mix has a really hard long bony tail. it hits things *really* hard.... i know my shins are more sensitive than her tail but the metal poles out in the yard arent, nor are the decking rails or the door jam.... etc.

is this damaging her?! i mean, im not squeemish and im fairly tolerant but this really makes me cringe to see!!! there is little fur on it and it really, repeatedly painfully whacks things and she doesnt react!

(i know this sounds terrible and you guys all know how i feel abotu cosmetically changing an animal- declawing, eat clipping and tail docking etc.... BUT)
is adult tail docking more cruel than her than (i just can not express this enough!!) really really wacking her tail on things?! she has left golfball sized knots on my shins and im THANKFUL it was me and not metal or wood!!! her little butt swinging that thing around would rival a fast pitch!

-ashley

ancientgirl
December 19th, 2007, 08:57 AM
When she hits stuff does she whimper? Maybe it's not painful to her because it's so bony.

hazelrunpack
December 19th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Labs have incredibly hard and powerful tails, too, and it never seemed to bother our old lab when he whacked it hard--even when we'd flinch at the noise, he never seemed to feel anything! Our shins took more of a beating than his tail seemed to. :D These days, we have softer-wagging setter tails to deal with...and I still get the occasional bruise. :rolleyes: