Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do cats get lonely?

BPR
December 18th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Hi everybody!
My husband and I have a 4 year old kitty and both work full-time (8 hour days). I know cats are supposed to be independent, but do you think they actually prefer being alone? Or are they generally happier with a fur-friend? I wish I could ask her ;)

Thanks for your opinions!
Barbara :)

Frenchy
December 18th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I guess it depends on the cat. But i'm sure your cat would appreciate the company , but you have to make sure they would be compatible first.

Jim Hall
December 18th, 2007, 09:46 PM
the sterotype that cats are "independent" is not often true
feral cats will form bonds with other cats and also group in":colonies"

Most cats i belive benifit from having anothe animal about however thier are many exceptions where a housecat does not want any competition in his domain. If you can contact a rescue group they may be able to help you select a cat that would be compatible.

Boubou
December 18th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Yes, cats get very, very lonely. You must go to your nearest shelter and get him 2 friends NOW!!:thumbs up:D

sisu power
December 18th, 2007, 11:20 PM
My previous cats really want me to be home, but aren't fussy about having another kitty with them. I've had cats who don't fight, but there is jealousy they don't interact either. Perhaps I added the second cat too late and would have had better luck if I had had introduced a second cat earlier.

rainbow
December 19th, 2007, 01:39 AM
I think cats are generally happier with companionship. I have always had two or more cats and highly recommend it. :pawprint:

clm
December 19th, 2007, 06:07 AM
I think cats are happier having company as well. The longest I've had a lone cat was 5 years, introduced a buddy for him and after the initial wanting to kill the kitten stage, they were quite happy together for many years. I've always had 2 or more cats since then.

Cindy

Love4himies
December 19th, 2007, 06:41 AM
It really depends on the cat, most spayed/neutered cats like the company of another cat. It has been my experience that female cats seem to be less social with other cats than my males. If you are thinking about adopting another cat, make sure the cat that comes into the house is very social with other cats and not over territorial, it will make the introductions much easier. Your resident cat is used to "owning" every place in the house and may not like having the intrusion of another cat at first. Staff at the rescues/humane societies should be able to help you with picking out the more socialable cats.

Good luck and keep us informed.

SARAH
December 19th, 2007, 06:50 AM
When we left Misti alone overnight to go to the country house, she was overly extatic to have us home the next day, sticking like glue and sleeping on top of us all that day and night, then she went back to just being in the house, knowing I was home.

Now that we have Spoutnik, I believe she will be less sad when we do go to the country (can't bring the cats, M-I-L is scared stiff of them, total panic).

If it's just a question of day-time loneliness, a dog is good company for a cat as well, as long as there is compatibility. (also important with a new cat, it's often easier to have a first-kitty accept a kitten and puppy than an older animal, but it depends on the two animals). Some rescue-places will let you bring your animal to meet the potential new pet. That way they get to meet on neutral territory, and if that doesn't look promising, you can check out the next candidate until you find a match. We were lucky to have been able to do that with the two dogs when we adopted Misti last year.

ancientgirl
December 19th, 2007, 07:55 AM
I think can get lonely. When I first had Vlad, I felt bad leaving him when I had to because he'd chase after me. After I brought Oksana home, he seemed to enjoy having someone to play with.

Now I have 4 and even though I've noticed Oksana likes to be by herself, she likes to watch everyone from the sidelines, she is mainly always around the others. They do all sometimes go off and I might find Vlad in the kitchen by himself, or Maks upstairs on my bed, but I think those are just times that they need to be alone, like us.

Perhaps you can inquire about fostering a cat. This will let you see if your kitty gets alone with another cat, and if she does get alone, you can adopt your foster.

krdahmer
December 19th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Yes, cats get very, very lonely. You must go to your nearest shelter and get him 2 friends NOW!!:thumbs up:D

I second that opinion!!! ;) :D

I do think that Windy got a bit lonely when I was at work and Chase was away all the time, she also got very overweight... then we got her Smoke and she had someone to play with and snuggle with when we were away. When I came home they were always together just hanging out... I missed Windy running to meet me at the door, but felt so much better knowing she was not lonely all day.

Longblades
December 19th, 2007, 11:07 AM
YES, they can be lonely. More so if they are used to company. I think the intent of your post was to to inquire about another cat but we find our cats are terribly lonely if WE go away longer than usual, say for a weekend. I have a friend come in to play with them. I can leave them food, water and litter facilities but it is companionship they crave the most. Luckily, ours do not penalize us for having left them but some do, with unwelcome deposts in the wrong place, for example, or they ignore you when you do come home.

Like some other posters I find they don't always get along with another cat but unless it is outright warfare the other cat does at least provide some company. And maybe a boredom diversion. Another species can provide company too, like a bird or small mammal in it's own safe cage. All our cats loved our dog and would seek her out. Now that she is gone one cat in particular is very clingy with me. They are not keen on the new puppy, but again, he is a diversion for them to observe.

Love4himies
December 19th, 2007, 11:39 AM

No, can't be 2 friends, must have even numbers, I say 3 friends

BPR
December 19th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks for all your replies everybody! I would LOVE to go to the shelter and take ALL the kitties home with me, but that probably wouldn't go over very well with my beloved kitty OR my beloved husband ;)

Because our cat has been alone with us for 4 years, I really hope we haven't waited too long to add another pet. I don't want to make my cat unhappy or cause her unnecessary stress by bringing home another furbaby. I've heard of some cats becoming depressed after a new animal was introduced to the family.

*Sigh*....I (like all of you on this great forum) just love animals soooo much and know I have room in my heart (and home) to love more!!!

Thanks again!
-Barbara :cat:

14+kitties
December 19th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks for all your replies everybody! I would LOVE to go to the shelter and take ALL the kitties home with me, but that probably wouldn't go over very well with my beloved kitty OR my beloved husband ;)

Because our cat has been alone with us for 4 years, I really hope we haven't waited too long to add another pet. I don't want to make my cat unhappy or cause her unnecessary stress by bringing home another furbaby. I've heard of some cats becoming depressed after a new animal was introduced to the family.

*Sigh*....I (like all of you on this great forum) just love animals soooo much and know I have room in my heart (and home) to love more!!!

Thanks again!
-Barbara :cat:

Sooooooo, does that mean you are going to get a playmate for your kitty?
I have an even number of kitties too :o but in my case it's not a matter of being alone, it's finding a place for them to hide on occasion!!
And, because no one else has mentioned it........... we would like to see some pics of your precious furbaby. We tend to get a little bossy about it too. :D Also.......welcome to Pets.ca :cat:

sisu power
December 19th, 2007, 09:25 PM
For me, while the first cat there doesn't like having another cat/kitten added later, again because one has definite seniority over there other, which won't be the case for you, I have found that my cats weren't jealous over the addition of dogs ... :)

Kristin7
December 20th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Cats do get lonely and as others have said it depends on the cat. My cat Micki was lonely after my dog died a few years ago, so I got a cat to keep her company (and for me). Unfortunately, they don't get along at all and Micki doesn't come out of my bedroom much anymore. I think she really hates Annie (the other cat). Both Micki and Annie have gotten along with other cats though, so it is just that they are not compatible. Like many humans, they don't like everyone! I think if you were to get another, it might be best to find one of similar age and activity level as your resident cat.