Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chicken bones

badger
December 18th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I have occasionally experimented with bits of raw chicken and ground beef and the cats seem to love it (aside from a couple of doubters). They also get chicken livers from time to time, a big hit.
Since I can't afford 100% raw right now (although I've never researched it, thinking it would be a difficult adjustment if they were subsequently adopted by someone who couldn't/wouldn't go the raw route), is giving them raw meat from time to time a problem? Digestively speaking?
So I went out and bought a tray of chicken (thighs and backs) and got ready to throw it down, then I lost my nerve :laughing: I'm so afraid one of them will choke on a bone or swallow a splinter.
Anyone have experience with bone-o-phobia?

luckypenny
December 18th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Anyone have experience with bone-o-phobia?

With chicken legs and thighs, yes :o . I still feed them to the dogs but I watch them carefully. How about trying necks? The bones are much softer.

rainbow
December 18th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I agree with Luckypenny and would try the softer neck bones to see how they do with them first.

Ford Girl
December 18th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Yes, I am a boneaphob. I admitt it. Here's my thread from months past.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=46156

My only issue with it, now that I have done some research is that my critters won't keep raw food in their dishes, they drag it around the house from spot to spot eating and carrying it. It grosses me out. :shrug: I haven't bought it since. But I would if they didn't do that.

want4rain
December 18th, 2007, 06:35 PM
yep! Mister does the same thign so we feed him outside LOL!! i have babies in the house!

-ash

Pezza
December 25th, 2007, 05:25 PM
For cats, chicken necks and wings is usually the meaty-bone of choice. I feed ground raw - I ground chickn thighs and drumsticks with the bone to make sure the cal-phos ratio is balanced. But feeding chicken necks and wings to cats for them to chew on is the best natural toothbrush in nature. Helps them keep their pearly whites.