Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Psychological help form service dogs

Janie123
December 18th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I have not had an easy life. Lots of abuse,my son got sick and has had 4 brain surgeries with more coming. He caught his first wife with another man and a sad divorce followed. My husband lost his job. I had a nervous breakdown. It's been really hard.
Then,someone gave Mitzie to me. Even my husband couldn't believe how I changed. I was filled with peace. I could get out more and I took her everywhere I could with me. My life was different. It held more hope and joy. She slept beside me at night and I would reach out to make sure she was still there. She slept beside me when I watched TV and I did the same thing. We were almost always together. EVERYONE was drawn to her. She sometimes didn't like it but people just wanted to touch and pet her.
If I was with her,I was ok.
Then,she died. I know it sounds strange but my world went out of control. Tears came again. Leaving the house is again hard. My depression is worse. My son is again sick and I am near a nervous breakdown. I see a dr. today.
What I wouldn't give to have Mitzie with me today. She honestly helped me. I love Boo and Bonnie but they are not like Mitzie. She was so intelligent,calm.....never barked. I can't even look at her picture.
I am,when I no longer have Boo and Bonnie,going to look into a psychological service dog. Has anyone ever had one?:shrug::pray::rip:Mitzie

want4rain
December 18th, 2007, 08:26 AM
:candle: rest in peace Mitzi.

-ashley

Winston
December 18th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Janie123! Thank you for sharing that with us! I want to tell you that I am here for you should you need to chat and I am 100% sure there are many other WONDERFUL people that will always be willing to lend an ear!

I want to tell you I have a sister that lived with 20 years of abuse and as a child up to an adult this also affected me! I can imagine how it must have been! I also have a family where there is some mental illness...very touch to deal with! My mom somtimes suffers from depression. My Dad passed away in 99 and in the same year she lost their cat Tippy! She is older and she drive me crazy wanting another pet like Tippy! but it want possible to find the same cat! But I went out with her and we rescued Brady! Totally opposite cat! but in so need of affection which my Mom was quite willing to give! She always talks about Tip but quickly states that Brady has come in a close 2nd! I think you should look at a companion dog! it is a great idea! or how about one that just needs some plain old lovin!!

Good luck with the Doc! let us know if you need anything!
Cindy

P.S I found this link
http://www.scribd.com/doc/130842/Psychological-service-dog-org

Janie123
December 18th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Right now,I am just looking into it. I can't afford 3 dogs. But I know one could help me. The only drawback would be eventually losing them. I went into a tailspin when I lost Mitzie. She was 11 years old but all my dogs have lived to be at least 16 years old,honestly. So,to me,she died too early. I take the best care I can afford of my dogs. But Mitzie was bought at a breeder's and she was very bred down. Everyone said 11 years old was good for her. She was given away because the owners boyfriend didn't like her and kicked her all the time.:mad::sad::yell: I would have given the boyfriend away. My friend that took her MADE her sign over Mitzie's paper's and then gave her to me. Good thing because she eventually broke up with the bf and wanted her dog back.:) NO WAY!
I was a pretty lost lonely little girl and my dog,Frisky,meant the world to me. Hence,my love of animals. I may have been ok had my son,and only child, not become so seriously ill. He's still sick. It still etars me up. Dealing with the abuse in my life has been really hard too.
Mitzie was an angel from haven. :) :):grouphug::angel::angel::angel::)

want4rain
December 18th, 2007, 09:29 AM
i can think of so many less noble things to help you cope. a dog is the most noble of them. for you to have had the HONOR of being Mitzi's special person must make you feel good even still. :) the powers that be must surely have smiled on you when she found you, dear. she will find a great deal of respect here, as will you.

i hope someone has an opinion on psychological service dogs.

-ashley

badger
December 18th, 2007, 09:38 AM
What do these dogs do that a quiet, well-behaved rescue could not do? Is it just that they're pre-trained?

SARAH
December 18th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I would think that the love and affection of any animal, dog or cat, would be a great help.

I've read that some doctors even "prescribe" pet therapy. My cats provide "purr-apy" which is so soothing and calming after or in the middle of a stressful day.

It's been proven that petting an animal lowers your blood pressure, which of course in turns does calm you down.

I had no idea though, that there were actual psychological service dogs available.

clm
December 18th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I'm no expert, but I don't see why adopting another rescue wouldn't fit the bill.
Cats and dogs don't have long enough life spans IMO, and we're usually going to outlive them. Dealing with the death of a pet is going to be hard at any time, dealing with that grief is something you may need help with.
If having a dog helps you, then I would just adopt another. You'll have another unfortunate soul that needs your love and affection for the rest of their life, whatever lifespan that may be. There are no shortage of pets who need, crave and deserve a loving home.

Cindy

Janie123
December 18th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I have 2 rescue's now. I love then dearly but they don't do for me what Mitzie did for me. We connected somehow. I loved her so. Boo and Bonnie don't like to lay by me. They love to play but Mitzie preferred just quiet time with me. Bonnie has started sleeping beside me at night and she cuddly. Mitzie used to sleep on her back with her legs up in the air. If I turned on my side,so did she. If slept on my stomach,so did she.
If I was having a really bad day,she knew it. She would sleep closer to me on on my lap when I was sitting down. If I was crying,she'd get closer or keep putting her little paw on my hand. She somehow just knew. When David had brain surgery,she was waiting for me by the door when I got home from the hospital. She never did that any other time. When I had my nervous breakdown,she was always with me and would bring me her blanket and try to put it on my feet like she was trying to cover me up.
She was just unbelievable.:pray::angel::angel:

ancientgirl
December 18th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I'm sorry for Mitzie's loss, but I can understand how she made you feel. I know when I get home and just knowing my four are there it just makes me feel so different and calm.

Can you perhaps have Boo or Bonnie trained for this?

I recently saw a Dog Whisperer episode where a woman had a dog that helped her with her severe anxiety. She put him through some course.

Maybe that can work for you?

My friend Alice always says to me. "the lord should have made pets with lives as long as ours." I agree with her 1,000%

Janie123
December 18th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Oh,I am in counseling and have bee for awhile. It helps with the depression of this. David has never seen me fall apart. But,when he's not here,it's hard. I tale walks,paint,read and enjoy the beauty of the beach around me.
I don't know much about psychiatric dogs,just looking into it right now.I know I can never replace sweet Mitzie.

Love4himies
December 19th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Oh, Janie123, I can't imagine how hard your life has been, but I do understand your connection with a particular pet. I too had that relationship with my Snowball. I currently have 3 cats, but none with that same connection. I am sure if you start connecting with some rescue groups they will be able to help you find a dog that has the same type of personality as Mitzie. Perhaps you can work with the dogs to see if that special bond will happen. There are many dogs that would love to have a loving home and show their appreciation for it every day.

:grouphug: to you and your family.