Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How DO you brush their teeth?

Janie123
December 18th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Boo got very sick on the do toothpaste so I just use water and elbow grease. they both HATE having their teeth brushed and plaque is starting to build up. they run when they think I am going to brush their teeth. Any suggestions?

SARAH
December 18th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Denta-Rask "bones" once in a while seems to do the trick, as well as good quality kibble.

When we got Sheba a little over a year ago, we were sure we'd have to take her to the vet and sedated for a thorough teeth cleaning. They were brown and her breath wasn't nice at all :yuck: still, having just had surgery (fixed + tail partially amputated) we decided to wait until after Christmas to do it, let her get over the first anaestesia and get settled in with us.

We fed her high quality kibble, same as Dani, and when February rolled around and we thought it would be ok to take her to the vet ... no need. Her teeth were a shiny white again and looked healthy. Her breath is now just that of a dog, nothing foul at all.

jessi76
December 18th, 2007, 08:54 AM
you can make a paste out of plain baking soda and warm water to use. it'll work better than plain water.

start by making it positive and REWARDING them for tolerating it. start slow, just as you would with nail clipping, rewarding the dog along the way. praise, affection, and even some well deserved play time after tolerating some brushing. go slow (maybe only brush 1 or 2 teeth a day), keep it positive and always end with fun.

instead of using a doggy toothbrush, try the finger cap - it's a rubber tip that fits on your finger that has bristles on it. that will be easier to maneuver for a dog that isn't fond of toothbrushing.

my dog RUNS too - but he runs TO have his teeth brushed! he loves it

erykah1310
December 18th, 2007, 05:26 PM
This is how we brush here.:D
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/erykah1310/Bailey%20and%20Charlie/babones3.jpg

I have never tried to actualy brush the dogs teeth before, so im not going to be a good person for advice other than have you considered bones??? Natures toothbrushes for dogs (and cats)

krdahmer
December 18th, 2007, 05:37 PM
LoL... I don't... they're cats... and I have no doubt that I would be seriously maimed if I attempted to do so. :rolleyes::laughing:

pitgrrl
December 18th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I just stick the dog between my knees, lift those lips and start brushing. My dogs, though they may be nuts in many ways, will really let anyone do anything to them though.

Here's a product that's come highly recommended to me though, and it comes in a spray

http://www.petzlife.com/