Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ate butter, now what?

sisu power
December 17th, 2007, 07:15 PM
My puppy has managed to drag the butter off the counter whilst the family prepares for school a couple of times now. I shudder to think of her arteries. This time she ate almost a whole package yet I've yet to see the anticipated diarrhea, which I'm starting to think is even worse. She seems okay actually. Does anyone know of a supplement that I can start giving her that's safe for dogs but will start working on the plaque build-up that must be there? For example, is pomegranate safe for dogs?

TeriM
December 17th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I really wouldn't worry about it. If you were feeding a stick of butter everyday then that would definately not be a good thing but an occasional incident is not likely to be that harmful. One thing I would keep an eye out for though would be some severe diarhea or vomiting. A high fat incident like that can actually sometimes be a trigger for a bout of pancreatitis. Keep the butter in a cupboard or farther back on the counter because he will continue to try for it if he has a chance!

rainbow
December 17th, 2007, 08:05 PM
How big is this "puppy" that can counter surf already? :eek:

I agree with Teri.....keep a close eye on her for signs of pancreatitis and don't leave the butter (or anything else edible) on the counter. Good luck and keep us posted. :goodvibes:

t.pettet
December 17th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Your vet should carry specific pet toothbrushes/toothpaste - you could get into a daily routine of brushing his teeth to control the plaque.The paste is flavoured and most dogs seem to love it.

sisu power
December 17th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I meant the plaque in the arteries.

Thanks folks for your input. Yes, we have to get that food back in the fridge more promptly. You'd think we would have learned faster. She's a nine month old Keeshond, so just mid-size. Since stuff is pushed further back and she's not that big, we just can't get it through our heads that she can reach it. She hops ... and I still can't picture how she reaches this stuff, but she does.

Last time she got the margarine tub down we had significant diarrhea, but this time we haven't seen any signs of that. I think the fact that it wasn't affecting her made me think more about it congealing inside of her!

clm
December 18th, 2007, 07:02 AM
My 8 months old Keeshond can reach stuff on the counter, and he's my smallest pup. It's amazing how far they can stretch those little bodies to get what they want. :laughing:

Other than a likely bout with the runs, as kees tend to have tender tummies, she'll likely be ok. Just no fatty treats like pig ears (which will give both my kees pups the runs anyway), or jerky for a while, stick to plain dog cookies for a few days instead.

Cindy

SARAH
December 18th, 2007, 07:28 AM
I meant the plaque in the arteries.

Thanks folks for your input. Yes, we have to get that food back in the fridge more promptly. You'd think we would have learned faster. She's a nine month old Keeshond, so just mid-size. Since stuff is pushed further back and she's not that big, we just can't get it through our heads that she can reach it. She hops ... and I still can't picture how she reaches this stuff, but she does.

Last time she got the margarine tub down we had significant diarrhea, but this time we haven't seen any signs of that. I think the fact that it wasn't affecting her made me think more about it congealing inside of her!

If she gets the runs from margarine and not butter, I guess that tells you more about those two foods than about her :) butter is the healthier choice!

Anyway, basically, as it's already been said, push the food further back on the counter or put it away so she can't get to it.

Janie123
December 18th, 2007, 07:56 AM
I brush my dogs teeth with just water and elbow grease. Boo got very sick on the toothpaste!

sisu power
December 19th, 2007, 12:26 AM
good point about margarine causing diarrhea and butter not! I'm happy to report that another day has passed and she seems just fine. I'll let the idea of pomegrante supplements go and just be more vigilant (training darling daughter can require a lot of persistence, just like training the puppy)!

Luba
December 19th, 2007, 02:08 AM
I'd give some rice, kidney beans and veggies. Steam the veggies so they're still 'snappable' (carrots, green bean)

rainbow
December 19th, 2007, 04:03 AM
I'm happy to report that another day has passed and she seems just fine. I'll let the idea of pomegrante supplements go and just be more vigilant (training darling daughter can require a lot of persistence, just like training the puppy)!

Glad to hear that she is doing fine. :thumbs up And, good luck with training both your darling daughter and your puppy. :D

Also, btw, welcome to pets.ca and we would love to see pics of the counter surfer. :D

sisu power
December 19th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks! After d.d. opens her camera from under the tree, I'll be able to get those photos!

rainbow
December 20th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Looking forward to the pics. :thumbs up