Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why do they eat bad things? WHY?

Ford Girl
December 17th, 2007, 04:02 PM
One of these days Dazy is going to kill herself by eating something she shouldn't! Seriously. I don't get it. I do my best to watch her like a hawk, and I don't like to keep her on leash every second of her life, it's not fun for anyone.

We were in the bush this weekend getting wood, it's was warm and sunny, and the snow was deep, Dazy was offleash when the saws were not running, she stayed close and was happy to run and romp around (pictures will be posted). When the saw ran, she was locked in the truck. I did see some skeet shooting disc on the ground - they had green or yellow paint on them, some empty bullet casings, we picked up what we could see and I kept an eye on her altho she was chasing her ball the entire time so either someone was with her or she was locked up.

The day went on, it was a great day! We drive home, pull in the ally and not 2 seconds later she pukes every where! Thanks dog the DH had a towel handy, mess averted, inpected the pile, nothing unusual about it, it's not really unusual for her to puke. Bring her in and pen her so we can unload the wood. 45 minutes later we go in and there were piles upon piles of puke, all over her pen, her bed, stuffies, she was violently sick,....so, we clean her up, clean up the pen. :wall:

What did I find in her florecent green puke? :confused: Clay skeet shooting discs, chewed in tiny pieces, pine needles, stick bits, and dead grass. :eek: She was lathargic until the next day, didn't eat, drink, or even move, we kept a close eye on her over night. Keeping in mind she was exhausted from day care Friday and a sleep over with Skye Friday night, and all day running in the bush! her being tired didn't worry us. When she woke up in the morning she was back to her regular "let's go play" self. :crazy:

Will she ever learn? :yell: It's scary and frustrating to say the least! :frustrated: :wall: It's like the litter box - she eats out of it, and throws up instantly, but she would still do it every chance she is given. Some of you might be thinking leash her or watch her every second she's out there, if that's what I had to do I'd end up leaving her home for the day, this is the reason we wanted a large breed sporting dog - to enjoy the out doors with!!! But man, what drives them to eat everything they can get their paws on?

SARAH
December 17th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Scary indeed! They are just so incredibly quick, and foraging in the snow for her ball, she must have snuck a "tid-bit" or 5.

No, she won't learn, she's not putting the sick in relation to the snakcs :(

Ford Girl
December 17th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Scary indeed! They are just so incredibly quick, and foraging in the snow for her ball, she must have snuck a "tid-bit" or 5.

No, she won't learn, she's not putting the sick in relation to the snakcs :(

I know she wouldn't actually put two and two together, just venting. When she was about 5 month old she kept eating her rope toy then puking it up, then eating it again before we could get it away from her, over and over...then we called the vet, gave her a small amount of peroxide to induce vommitting so we could time it - it worked, we got the rope toy and all the other bits she threw up but we had to induce it to catch her. It was like a tv show where they cut a great white shark open and all this garbage comes out - that's her, exactly like a great white!!! Unreal. No rope toys since then. :clown:

CearaQC
December 17th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Ugh, that's gotta be scary.

Makes ya wonder what goes on in their heads. "Hey that looks good, I'll eat it."

Hope Dazy is ok.

SARAH
December 17th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I know she wouldn't actually put two and two together, just venting.

I figured :) just that, it's so frustrating that they can't put the two together!

Seems my cats do, when there's a food that they wolf down too fast and throw up again, they stay away from that food for the longest time. Is it coincidence, or are cats smarter than dogs? (unconditional cat people, like my dad, will say yes, cats are smarter :laughing: )

Ford Girl
December 17th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Dazy is just fine, stomache like iron! LOL! It's rediculous. Kleenex, string, kitty litter, beer caps, garbage, rocks, glass, you name it, she eats it. She got sick July long weekend and ended up inthe hospital from something toxic - we don't know what but she almost died that time around too.

I don't really know if I'd go as far as saying cats are smarter :rolleyes: but they seem to at least put a few seconds thought in to their actions before doing it. Mind you Pubert continues to eat the christmas tree and throw up over and over again. :wall:

I think what it comes down to is that they don't see the danger in things. They don't put two and two together at all. They run in to the road, eat toxic items, chase cars, approach strangers, assume every animals their friend - once Dazy submitted to a moma cow who was protecting it's babies - we had to interviene when the mom charged her and she laid down and showed her belly!!! Grrrrr. :wall: There my husband was between a mad mom and Dazy on the ground!!! :eek:

I do love her tho. :cloud9: I do my best to look for danger for her, that's my job as her owner. :lovestruck:

CearaQC
December 17th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Cats aren't always smarter.

Once I caught a family cat with string hanging out of his mouth. I pulled and pulled... about 6 feet of string came out.

breeze
December 17th, 2007, 04:57 PM
you ask us why they eat everything in site... It's to drive us crazy!!!!!!!

:laughing::laughing:

sometimes it is a serious matter and no we can't always be on top of them wherever they go.... I too wish they would learn :frustrated:

Frenchy
December 17th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I caught Ben eating poopsicles this morning :yuck:

Fordgirl , my sister has a female golden , and she eats everything too , she's 3 yr old now .... :eek:

14+kitties
December 17th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Cats aren't always smarter.

Once I caught a family cat with string hanging out of his mouth. I pulled and pulled... about 6 feet of string came out.

Lol I can relate to that one! My Pepe :rip: did that once and it had a NEEDLE attached to the end!! :crazy:

14+kitties
December 17th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Sorry, just had to add this.........

http://www.dogguide.net/blog/2007/12/the-most-shocking-things-ever-found-inside-of-a-dogs-stomach/

No advice, just a few laughs and :eek:s and :yuck:s !

ancientgirl
December 17th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Poor Dazy. I'm constantly watching everything that falls on the floor or
anything I put on the counter small enough for them to put in their mouths.

Even the toys they play with. Vlad was chewing on a feather the other day with so much gusto, I immediately took it out of his mouth. He almost swallowed it, and it was pretty darn big.

I've come to realize having pets is like having a perpetual toddler in your home.

Longblades
December 17th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Hah! She just eats stuff? Wait till she finds a particularly enticing dead animal carcass, or pile of excrement and discovers rolling in it. If she is really smart it won't be long till she figures out if she rolls first there might still be enough left to eat. :)

SCARY POST ABOVE
If something is protruding from either end you should NOT pull it out. You don't know what it might be wrapped around deep inside and could cause internal injuries.

Lukka'sma
December 17th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Boy you need eyes in the back of your head as much as anyone does:laughing:
I can't imagine having to watch that closely. I have been lucky in that Lukka only eats rabbit raisins when she can get them:shrug:, I usually clue in when she spends too much time sniffing one place and move her along. She would much rather roll in something then consume it. Makes for a horrid ride home at times.
Poor Dazy, but you're right she will never learn, dogs can think but I'm not convinced they can reason.

JanM
December 17th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I can relate to this too - Bobby has been in hospital twice with a bowel obstruction - from something ingested that wasn't digestible! Amber eats rabbit pellets too but today I saw her start eating some white berries on a tree! Egad - I'm reasonably sure they are poisonous and thank goodness she stopped as soon as I spoke to her!

I doubt that this is a Golden thing but Goldens sure do excel at ingesting everything!

Dogastrophe
December 17th, 2007, 08:48 PM
We had Lucy to the vet tonight to check on a loose tooth (all's well for now). While waiting a lady came in to pick up her 4 mos old BMD who was in for surgery to remove a sport sock! Apparently this was sock number 4 ... the first 3 were noticed when puppy vomited them out. :yuck:

Shaykeija
December 17th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I am so lucky. The only thing Tyra eats(If she is faster than me) is cat puke. It is like someone rang the dinner bell....:yuck: God made myself gag on that one :laughing:

krdahmer
December 18th, 2007, 01:05 AM
SCARY POST ABOVE
If something is protruding from either end you should NOT pull it out. You don't know what it might be wrapped around deep inside and could cause internal injuries.

Ditto on that one... never ever pull on a string, it is always a definite reason for a vet visit if you are unsure how much has been ingested... pulling can cause internal injury and death.

Oh and as for the eating of inappropriate things.... Fagan likes to eat anything crunchy... his food... springs... styrofoam, cardboard, pens... I just try to keep them out of reach. The latest was a piece of styrofoam snowflake off the tree, at 5:40 in the mornin! What a lovely wakeup... trying to account for all the pieces of a mangled snowflake when you are half asleep and panicked.:rolleyes:

14+kitties
December 18th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades
SCARY POST ABOVE

Ditto on that one... never ever pull on a string, it is always a definite reason for a vet visit if you are unsure how much has been ingested... pulling can cause internal injury and death.

Oh and as for the eating of inappropriate things.... Fagan likes to eat anything crunchy... his food... springs... styrofoam, cardboard, pens... I just try to keep them out of reach. The latest was a piece of styrofoam snowflake off the tree, at 5:40 in the mornin! What a lovely wakeup... trying to account for all the pieces of a mangled snowflake when you are half asleep and panicked.

Just a note..... I didn't pull on the string when my cat ate it. When I noticed it was coming out the other end. Needle came first and he was fine. He was 5 at the time and lived to be 19. :D

Ford Girl
December 18th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Poor Dazy. I'm constantly watching everything that falls on the floor or anything I put on the counter small enough for them to put in their mouths.

I've come to realize having pets is like having a perpetual toddler in your home.

Me too, constantly! The spring time is the worse, whent he snow melts and reveals hidden treasures!!! You know, she hides stuff in her jowls, crams them full of goodies, I am constanly putting my hands in her mouth, she knows "drop it" and will when asked, but she never cleans out her own jowls! LOL! She also knows "leave it" and she will, but both commands mean I have to see her and catch it first. I try my best, I really do!! :shrug:

Hah! She just eats stuff? Wait till she finds a particularly enticing dead animal carcass, or pile of excrement and discovers rolling in it. If she is really smart it won't be long till she figures out if she rolls first there might still be enough left to eat. :)

When we camp there are piles of cow poop, she has yet to roll in it, but she eats it until she makes herself sick. I don't mind so much the old dry piles, but the new green stinky piles gross everyone out! No kisses for her at camp! :yuck: We have a friend with a dog who rolls in the human poop out at camp, even if it's barried and unnoticable, he will dig it up and roll in it, that is the worst thing ever!!! OMG, makes me sick thinking about it. :sick:

I can relate to this too - Bobby has been in hospital twice with a bowel obstruction - from something ingested that wasn't digestible! Amber eats rabbit pellets too but today I saw her start eating some white berries on a tree! Egad - I'm reasonably sure they are poisonous and thank goodness she stopped as soon as I spoke to her!

I doubt that this is a Golden thing but Goldens sure do excel at ingesting everything!

I think goldens tend to be "mouthy" in that they like things in their mouths, Dazy seems to alway carry something ot look for something to put in her mouth. She's a rabbit poop eater too. You can always tell, like you said, she spend extra time "sniffing" a certain spot. Then she just runs and gobbles them up. :frustrated:

We had Lucy to the vet tonight to check on a loose tooth (all's well for now). While waiting a lady came in to pick up her 4 mos old BMD who was in for surgery to remove a sport sock! Apparently this was sock number 4 ... the first 3 were noticed when puppy vomited them out. :yuck:

Dazy LOVES socks - next to tennis balls, they are her favorite. We do our best to take them away, or hide them to begin with, and she won't only take one, she stuffs the pair of them in her mouth and acts like she's won a prize!! It's so gross, she picks up my husbands stinky old work socks, crams them in, and prances around, she LOVES socks! And when I am folding laundry she always eyes the unfolded sock pile, just hoping she can get her trap on the pile....she stares at it like it's the most amzing sock pile in the world. :laughing: I haven't seen her sit and chew them or come close to swallowing them, but it wouldn't shock me. I try my best to keep all socks hidden. :wall: