Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat meowing excessively

Nukifuki
December 17th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I have this male cat and it's about 2 years old and it's always meowing excessively during the day and at night. During the night time (wee hours), it's the worst as i'm staying in a HDB flat. Almost the whole flat can hear his meowing. It's as though he's screaming. That is what i am worried about as people might complain. I've tried spraying him with a squirt bottle, ignoring him and locking him in a room for awhile to stop his meowing but to no avail. Most websites encourage ignoring the cat, but i can't because when i ignore he'll just meow louder and louder till i can't stand it but have to give him the attention he wants just to shut him up to prevent him from being a nuisance. I'm pretty sure he's in healthy condition as all he wants is attention, it's because when i'm with him he doesn't make a single sound, and when i leave, he'll start his meowing. I've tried giving him all the attention and playing with him when he is quiet, but it seems to be of no use. I've given him toys and plastic bags to play with. I also make sure that he has enough food & water and his litter tray is clean. This have been going on for weeks and i've been trying almost everything i know. I've been rather sleep-deprived and i don't know what to do.

Please help. Thanks.

CearaQC
December 17th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Hi and welcome.

You didn't specify if your kitty has been neutered or not.

An unneutered male will carry on at all hours of the night with the most awful sounds.

Love4himies
December 17th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Is he locked out of your room at night? I had a male that would howl if he didn't know where I was or just after I would leave the house.

As long as you get up and give him attention, he thinks his howling is working. He is calling for you and you come. If you can keep him in your room, that may work, other than that, you may have to get ear plugs to help you sleep and not to get up through out the night.

If he is not neutered, get him done, this may also help.

sugarcatmom
December 17th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Maybe you could get him a buddy so that he isn't so lonely. Only a good idea if he's neutered, I should add.

Masha
December 17th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I've given him toys and plastic bags to play with.

You should not be giving him plastic bags to play with. Just like children, they can choke or suffocate while playing with it.

kiara
December 17th, 2007, 08:29 PM
If I was you I would take it to a vet for a check-up. Thinking that your cat is o.k. maybe wrong. And never give your cat plastic bags, it could make him choke. Do you know the cat's history? He sounds like he has separation anxiety or maybe he needs a cat friend to keep him happy? I have never heard of a cat meowing this much and keeping you and the neighbors awake. But maybe as there are noisy and outgoing people, there are also noisy and outgoing cats??? There maybe nothing wrong with him physically. Let us know what happend.